Laptop performance boost

Associate
ive purchased a HP Pavilion Gaming 15-ec1001na laptop recently and for the money its a great little machine but im struggling to play post scriptum with a decent frame rate that doesnt look "rough".
Ive had a play around with the graphic and Nvidia settings and all of the drivers are up to date so im thinking of doubling up the RAM to smooth things out.
Is this the best way forward?

Caporegime
It's most likely a lack of GPU grunt. How much RAM do you have currently? You can see RAM usage in the performance tab of task manager. If you're not exceeding your total menu adding more won't help.

Associate
OP
The CPU is around 50/60%, the GPU is 100% and the RAM is around 90/95%.
Ive downloaded razer cortex which has made a noticable difference after it freed up about 1.3GB of RAM.

Caporegime
The CPU is around 50/60%, the GPU is 100% and the RAM is around 90/95%.
Ive downloaded razer cortex which has made a noticable difference after it freed up about 1.3GB of RAM.

So you're mostly GPU bound but another 8GB of RAM is cheap and may have an effect on hitching but it probably won't do a great deal else.

It may come with 2x4GB modules, in which case you'll need to replace them both. Be worth checking before you order. CPU-Z should tell you what's installed (but I'd just open up and have a look).

Which CPU has it got?

Associate
OP
Its a ryzen 5 4600h
I have vram set to 12000 and i got a system low memory earlier, i found that a bit odd.
CPU Z says the module sizes are 4 GB

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ive had a look at the memory sector and im won't lie i have no idea which memory is suited to this laptop as ive always had desktops before.
Can anyone point me towards a suitable stick of 16GB RAM that will suit this laptop, im not looking to spend a large amount so somewhere around £100 or less would be great.
Thanks

Associate
Ive had a look at the memory sector and im won't lie i have no idea which memory is suited to this laptop as ive always had desktops before.
Can anyone point me towards a suitable stick of 16GB RAM that will suit this laptop, im not looking to spend a large amount so somewhere around £100 or less would be great.
Thanks

Just checked the system specs, you'd be better off with 2x8Gb modules to make use of dual channel (about 15% faster, on average), laptops generally use SO-Dimm memory and I couildn't see anything suitable on OcUk, so you might have to look around though 16Gb looks to cost around £100ish.

Edit: Minstadave linked a perfect set, use that part number in google, £75ish from the tree place ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom