Laptop woes, Windows the culprit?

Associate
So basically, the wife's laptop boots fine, right up until the log in screen. At this point, the screen stays grey. The only way to get the screen to work is to put the laptop to sleep and wake it up again. Hey Presto!

Its also has a wifi fault but thats less of an issue as we have a wifi dongle spare and that seems to have sorted it. Unless they could be linked in some strange way!?

Anyone have any ideas? Tried updating all drivers and other than a complete re-install (which I'd rather avoid) I don't really know where to go next.

Cheers :)

Associate
I had this on a Dell laptop. Up until a new batch of graphics drivers were released I had to close the lid and open it again to get it to work, however this issue didn't always happen. I just accepted it as part of the startup process and thought very little of it.

Soldato
So basically, the wife's laptop boots fine, right up until the log in screen. At this point, the screen stays grey. The only way to get the screen to work is to put the laptop to sleep and wake it up again. Hey Presto!

Its also has a wifi fault but thats less of an issue as we have a wifi dongle spare and that seems to have sorted it. Unless they could be linked in some strange way!?

Anyone have any ideas? Tried updating all drivers and other than a complete re-install (which I'd rather avoid) I don't really know where to go next.

Cheers :)
Is this a brand new laptop or one you have had awhile?

If its brand new return it, shouldn't have to put up with W10 issues and strange problems.

If its a old laptop that has gone from W7 to W10 and then had a number of new updates applied like the creators update, fall update etc you could always try the OS reset which will reset the OS but keep all the personal files etc, maybe worth a try before a full format as a last option

Soldato
does it work in safe mode ?
as suggested sounds like display driver, direct3d/opengl initialization fails, re-install internal then external gpu drivers ?

Back
Top Bottom