Large estate, hatchback or MPV recommendations?

Associate
The in laws are getting a larger car to drive around in. They need:

Something around 2015-2016 (I'll put this instead of a budget seeing as I'm in Finland)
No "premium" brands because they are rather expensive to buy here (BMW/Audi/Merc/Lexus etc)
Enough room in the back that an adult can comfortably fit between the child seats
Anything except diesel (has significantly higher tax here)
Reliable
Preferably automatic
Reasonably good economy

These are some examples of the models I've been looking at:
Skoda Superb 1.4
https://www.nettiauto.com/en/skoda/superb/11708764

VW Touran 1.4
https://www.nettiauto.com/en/volkswagen/touran/11802004

Zafira 1.4
https://www.nettiauto.com/en/opel/zafira/11944177

Mondeo 1.5
https://www.nettiauto.com/en/ford/mondeo/11953892

Passat 1.4
https://www.nettiauto.com/en/volkswagen/passat/11868886

Are any of these cars particularly good/bad and is there anything else particuarly good within that timeframe (2015-2016), that I've forgotten about? I did try to suggest an Avensis to him, but he hates mine which is fair:D.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies! Seems like the superb is pretty highly regarded. Regarding the DSG, how are they with wear and tear? I remember reading many years ago (golf mk5 era maybe) that they could have major issues. Is this still the case with more modern ones or are they more robust now?

Soldato
Thanks for the replies! Seems like the superb is pretty highly regarded. Regarding the DSG, how are they with wear and tear? I remember reading many years ago (golf mk5 era maybe) that they could have major issues. Is this still the case with more modern ones or are they more robust now?

I have a Mk2 with the 170bhp diesel and DSG.

6 years old and 82k miles. I've had it since 6 months old and 7.5k miles I think it was at.

It was my company car but bought it when I left so last 3 years I've only averaged 11k per year and much shorter journeys.

DSG has been faultless and has just sailed through its MOT today.

Associate
OP
I have a Mk2 with the 170bhp diesel and DSG.

6 years old and 82k miles. I've had it since 6 months old and 7.5k miles I think it was at.

It was my company car but bought it when I left so last 3 years I've only averaged 11k per year and much shorter journeys.

DSG has been faultless and has just sailed through its MOT today.
Good to hear. Does it require maintenance any more than a manual gearbox would?

Associate
Enough room in the back that an adult can comfortably fit between the child seats

What sort of size child seats are you talking? I currently own the titanium x version of the mondeo in your link and if you are talking the big modern iSize stlye seats, and you need to fit two in the back you wouldn't stand a chance of fitting an adult in the middle.

In all honesty, the child seat is so large that you'd struggle to fit two adults in the back with it...... the thing basically turns it into a four seater. Whilst I know the superb is a little bigger than the mondeo I would imagine the rear width is negligable and you will likely have the same issue in the passat / superb as I have in the Mondeo.

If this is a genuine requirement I'd suggest going for a bigger MPV with three full seats in the back. Sometihng like the ford S-Max or the Zafira / Touran you've already identified.

Associate
we have a Touran. It's a 2018 2.0 tdi, but regardless of that difference it's a great car.

The things we like about it are....

A slightly raised driving poisition with a great view all around.
It's economical, comfy, relaxing to drive.
Very easy to park, maneuver and judge it's size.
The 6th and 7th seat are occasionally useful.
The middle row are all independantly adjustable and an adult can fit between shild seats.
The boot is big as a 5-seater, and it's like a van with the middle row folded down.
Window blinds and tray tables are good for the kids.

It's sort of all boring stuff, but it's exactly what we want from that car.

Associate
OP
What sort of size child seats are you talking? I currently own the titanium x version of the mondeo in your link and if you are talking the big modern iSize stlye seats, and you need to fit two in the back you wouldn't stand a chance of fitting an adult in the middle.

In all honesty, the child seat is so large that you'd struggle to fit two adults in the back with it...... the thing basically turns it into a four seater. Whilst I know the superb is a little bigger than the mondeo I would imagine the rear width is negligable and you will likely have the same issue in the passat / superb as I have in the Mondeo.

If this is a genuine requirement I'd suggest going for a bigger MPV with three full seats in the back. Sometihng like the ford S-Max or the Zafira / Touran you've already identified.

Thanks for that. I don't know what sort of size the child seat is but it looks pretty beefy to me so I'd expect the next one to be similar. Good to know about the size limitations of these large estate/hatchbacks. Cheers!

we have a Touran. It's a 2018 2.0 tdi, but regardless of that difference it's a great car.

The things we like about it are....

A slightly raised driving poisition with a great view all around.
It's economical, comfy, relaxing to drive.
Very easy to park, maneuver and judge it's size.
The 6th and 7th seat are occasionally useful.
The middle row are all independantly adjustable and an adult can fit between shild seats.
The boot is big as a 5-seater, and it's like a van with the middle row folded down.
Window blinds and tray tables are good for the kids.

It's sort of all boring stuff, but it's exactly what we want from that car.

This sounds pretty perfect, dull but incredibly sensible is the order of the day for them. The seats sound very good and makes the car more practical than a Superb/Mondeo by the sound of it.

Subaru Outback? bit of a left field choice

Alex

Looked at these after your suggestion but they are a few thousand more than some of the other options unfortunately. Thanks for the suggestion though:)

Associate
This sounds pretty perfect, dull but incredibly sensible is the order of the day for them. The seats sound very good and makes the car more practical than a Superb/Mondeo by the sound of it.
MPV's are probably dying out in favour of SUV's, but there's a lot going for them if you aren't style-consious. Great seat flexibility is one thing they do well.

Back
Top Bottom