Large luxury vehicle alternatives

Associate
Evening all,

My fathers an S Class man for many years. He's looking to change his S Class to the following:

Large 5 seater vehicle
Front wheel or 4 wheel drive
Prestige and comfort is important
High spec - i.e. big alloys, heated seats - Nothing over the top

Budget £35k max and less than 3 years old. He's in his late 50's if that helps!

Hes preference would always be S Class but to get one thats 4 wheel but he says thats over budget.

Any thoughts very welcome.

Caporegime
Since he is prioritising the badge/image and being comfortable rather than say handling/performance etc... then for something a bit different perhaps a Maserati Quattroporte?

3 year old models seem to be around your budget.

Man of Honour
A 4Matic S Class.

Job done. Anything else is simply not as good.

Though frankly you live in Leicester not Austria so the 4wd requirement seems fairly pointless.

Associate
OP
A 4Matic S Class.

Job done. Anything else is simply not as good.

Though frankly you live in Leicester not Austria so the 4wd requirement seems fairly pointless.

Iv not updated it. We live in Wolves and on a big hill. I know we don't get much snow but when we do he always get stuck.

Also you cant get a 4Matic S Class for the budget which is the problem!

Associate
OP
Since he is prioritising the badge/image and being comfortable rather than say handling/performance etc... then for something a bit different perhaps a Maserati Quattroporte?

3 year old models seem to be around your budget.

Thank you for your reply but:

1) Its only 4 seats inside. Need it to be big enough for 5 adults which it is not.
2) The interior looks a bit naff if you compare it to an S Class - Not really the same league.

Though I agree its a bit different.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
7 Series or 5GT xDrive, or was that never offered in the UK?
Mercedes GL?

Or you could investigate the Audi A8..

Caporegime
Yeah, it's a better car.

But the requirements aren't necessarily to get a "better" car (by which you're presumably giving some weight to performance etc..) but rather something more affordable than an S Class and "prestige" is one of the requirements.

Thank you for your reply but:

1) Its only 4 seats inside. Need it to be big enough for 5 adults which it is not.
2) The interior looks a bit naff if you compare it to an S Class - Not really the same league.

Well I guess interior is subjective to an extent though tbh... I'm not sure if you've perhaps only looked at one example but they can come with 5 seats.

Perhaps he should just get a Jag, since he's old etc.. anyway :)

Caporegime
But the requirements aren't necessarily to get a "better" car (by which you're presumably giving some weight to performance etc..) but rather something more affordable than an S Class and "prestige" is one of the requirements.

Well I guess interior is subjective to an extent though tbh... I'm not sure if you've perhaps only looked at one example but they can come with 5 seats.

Perhaps he should just get a Jag, since he's old etc.. anyway :)

They are prestige cars.

Caporegime
Iv not updated it. We live in Wolves and on a big hill. I know we don't get much snow but when we do he always get stuck.

Even a 4Matic S Class will probably get stuck with summer tyres, my 4 Motion CC wasn't terrific when the roads became fully snow covered.

Caporegime
They are prestige cars.

Well they're positioning themselves in that market now, but I'd suspect that to someone in their 50s a Volvo as a brand just doesn't come across like that at all given a few decades of having an image of being very safe, sensible but perhaps rather dull cars.

(granted perhaps a car enthusiast in their 50s might well disagree.)

Caporegime
The Volvo S90 is a better car than the Mercedes S Class?!

Pound for pound, yeah. Heck, you could get 2! From memory the S90 starts around low £30k so for his budget he could be buying one brand new with the specification he wants. Or for around that money he's looking at I think about a 5 year old S-Class.

The Volvo reviews incredibly well. It comes highly recommended. Plus you'd have the advantage of full warranty for the next 3 years minimum.

A 5 year old S class is going to start needing things like shocks and springs and they don't come cheap.

As a further aside, I believe he could get an AWD S90 in budget. He can't get his AWD S-Class.

Soldato

RWD S class with winter tyres then. Will be vastly better in the snow than a 4matic one on summer tyres, and swapping wheels every 6 months isn’t that much of a hardship.

Back
Top Bottom