Large luxury vehicle alternatives

Soldato
Dad likes this..... Tell me more.

Surly the 4 wheel drive car will be noticeably better than a real wheel drive in snow? Buying 4 tyres, storage and cost of changing them every year seems a lot of hassle?

The 4 wheel drive may help you to get moving but gives no advantage over a 2 wheel drive vehicle when it comes to stopping and steering.

Associate
OP
Whats the difference between a 5 series and a 6GT? Am I right in saying the 6GT is bigger, more like the 7 series size? Judging by auto trader they seem to depreciate a lot! You can get a year old one with a good spec for 30k!

Furthermore there is another version of the 5GT, the 5 Gran Coupe - This looks even more beautiful than the 6GT and from what I can see its a more expensive car. Any thoughts on the difference between the 5GT and 5GC?

Associate
OP
How much hassle is a trip to Krap fit to swap the wheels over (assuming you too inept to DIY) and then stacking four wheels in the shed / garage for a few months until you swap them back?

I'm sure the cost of them to swap them over is nothing to worry about. And we have space in the garage to store the extra set. But how the hell would you get a set of 4 in the boot to get to and from the garage?!

And DIY..... Surly no one swaps their own over at home?! Whenever I have watched them at the garage they have a big machine that takes them off and puts them on. Plus they use another big machine for balancing.

Caporegime
@ OP how about a Lexus or Range Rover SUV?

Another S Class, spare set of alloys with winter tyres when the inevitable Siberian winter arrives in Wolverhampton (!) job done.

4WD is as useless in snow as 2WD without the right tyres so ignore that option.

Short of a Rolls Royce, you won’t better an S so why bother?

what a load of rubbish. 4WD are usually considerably heavier especially when it's an SUV. so coupled with 4WD and the weight it's like normal driving compared to skating on ice with 2WD.

a 4WD even on a dry road is considerably better than a 2WD.

Caporegime
what a load of rubbish. 4WD are usually considerably heavier especially when it's an SUV. so coupled with 4WD and the weight it's like normal driving compared to skating on ice with 2WD.

Usually, yes, when I had winter tyres on my old e46 I was able to get up my street with lying snow without issue (it was quite steep) yet my neighbour had to leave his Audi A6 “all road” on the local Aldi Car park because he couldn’t get up the hill despite 4WD, he asked if I could show him how I’d got up when he couldn’t and I explained I’d got winter tyres, he went and bought a set the following morning - just in time for the thaw.

Soldato
I'm sure the cost of them to swap them over is nothing to worry about. And we have space in the garage to store the extra set. But how the hell would you get a set of 4 in the boot to get to and from the garage?!

And DIY..... Surly no one swaps their own over at home?! Whenever I have watched them at the garage they have a big machine that takes them off and puts them on. Plus they use another big machine for balancing.

DIY'ing wouldnt be difficult - solid ground, decent jack - swap one wheel at a time. If the other set of wheels were balanced when they were taken off then they will still be balanced when they are put back on. Failing that I am sure a mobile tyre fitter would be able to do it for a small fee if DIY'ing not a option.

S - class with winters makes sense to me unless there is another motive for the change.

Soldato
@ OP how about a Lexus or Range Rover SUV?

Having driven an SUV on summer tyres in the snow, I can assure you it’s nothing like normal driving. You wouldn’t see which way a 2wd car on winter tyres went. Tyres make by far the greatest difference in winter conditions.

Having said that, the need for either 4wd or winter tyres in most parts of the U.K. is debatable: I always managed fine with RWD and summers.

Caporegime
Usually, yes, when I had winter tyres on my old e46 I was able to get up my street with lying snow without issue (it was quite steep) yet my neighbour had to leave his Audi A6 “all road” on the local Aldi Car park because he couldn’t get up the hill despite 4WD, he asked if I could show him how I’d got up when he couldn’t and I explained I’d got winter tyres, he went and bought a set the following morning - just in time for the thaw.

surprised an audi a6 struggled in england. audi a3 4wd no issues in scotland. decent tyres is all you need not winter tyres. did he have ling lings on £25 a corner?

Caporegime

Interesting, so several years back now our FWD polo on Continental Eco Contact was significantly better than my 4motion CC running MPSS on a snow covered main road.

Why?

The Polo is light has small cross-sectional tyres and critically the weight is over the driven wheels.

The CC is heavy (weight is you enemy when running summer tyres), with wide tyres (you noticed how skinny snow and ice rally tyres are?), when the power gets shoved to the back because the front has limited grip you end-up with limited weight over the driven wheels, great.

I thought it was the MPSS so when the time came i swapped to Asymmetric 3s, same problems.

Having 4wd is not a get out of jail card when driving on snow, it can actually be worse especially when you are trying to slow down the extra mass of the vehicle.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Get an A8
Sport exec gets you 360 cameras, matrix LED lights, some stupidly adjustable sports seats, google maps sat nav integration etc....

Man of Honour
I'd advise people go out a bit and see how the rest of the world copes with RWD and snow. Heavier cars especially with wider tyres are much worse in snow. If your dad is really worried, all seasons are a good shout, the Americans use them a lot even on premium cars but over here it's very unpopular because autobahn.

My experience with a 540i RWD on winter tyres (245mm for winter) is that the worry is not being able to stop, I can always 'go'. This wasn't really an issue in my Mazda 3 MPS which was much lighter and on 225s.

I drove a 6 Series GT on 245 profile tyres to the top of an Austrian ski resort in heavy snow. It performed admirably - tyres make the difference.

Back
Top Bottom