Large tripod - How do you move yours around?

Associate
So I purchased a Manfrotto 055 and the XPRO-3 Head, but they're so huge and heavy that they don't fit together in my tripod bag which is 80cm long, the legs fit but not with the head attached.

I tried to find a bag with a tripod holder, but I only carry an SLR and 2 lenses so it doesn't require a huge bag, so I bought a small shoulder bag and want a tripod bag - I know there are some manfrotto bags but the padded ones are too expensive!

So I was interested to know how people with similar heavy/large tripods take them around for shoots?

Associate
Usually just carry it by hand, or I use a shoulder strap/sling if I'm hiking longer distances.
I find a bag just adds to the bulk, and slows down my ability to set up the rig.

Caporegime
With lens attached I rest the lens across back of neck and shoulders, with the legs partly collapsed and forwards over body. The weight of the tripod and the lens balance each out.and it feels relatively weightless for flattish hiked up to 10-12 miles. The advantage is if you see something you can the camera setup in an instant.

I have a bag for driving and flying but would never use out in the field.

Associate
OP
hmm, interesting, maybe a strap system with the bare tripod seems the most efficient, but are tripods and heads usually weather proof? do you think rain would harm it?

Associate
hmm, interesting, maybe a strap system with the bare tripod seems the most efficient, but are tripods and heads usually weather proof? do you think rain would harm it?

Tripods & ballheads are pretty durable. Just clean off any sand, grit or mud at the end of the day and you'll be fine. A heavily used tripod/ballhead can last years, even decades, with some maintenance.

Associate
OP
Tripods & ballheads are pretty durable. Just clean off any sand, grit or mud at the end of the day and you'll be fine. A heavily used tripod/ballhead can last years, even decades, with some maintenance.

Brill! Thanks for that, tripod strap it is!

Associate
OP
I have a manfrotto bag which the 055pro with a pan and tilt head fits into easily, along with 2 shoot through umbrellas!

Yh the Manfrotto bags look nice but the padded ones are quite prices.

I just use a strap to carry mine if its a fair distance I need to go, otherwise I get as close as I can in the car.

Haha this is what I'm going to have to do now!

And

And

Associate
Short walks - lens on gimbal, legs of tripod open, shoulder underneath centre so everything is level (and make sure it's all locked down), walk. Otherwise remove lens, close up tripod legs, one item each hand for a longer walk.

If I'm out on the hills, big lens/camera in bag (all fits with hood reversed but body on lens) and handheld/improvise with bag.

Usually have a shoulder bag with me for bins/tcs/camo/groundsheet.

If I'm out for scenery just a backpack for camera/WA lens/filters etc and take a smaller tripod with ballhead attached in hand.

Back
Top Bottom