• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Larrabee (finally) makes a cameo

Associate
wow, its finally getting somewhere!...again.

I dont think this will shake up the gpu world when it is first released for a few years but the concept will prevail im sure

Soldato
Early days, but exciting tech anyways. Looks like there won't be much to building a PC in the future if everything's on a single chip!

Nice how they got Jasper Carrott to present it too. Oh wait.

Associate
Early days, but exciting tech anyways. Looks like there won't be much to building a PC in the future if everything's on a single chip!

Nice how they got Jasper Carrott to present it too. Oh wait.

hahaha very true!

and also I dont think intel ever said they were going open any cans of whatever with the new new larabee chip. I remember seeing an article somewhere where they were quite humble and admitted that it would just be an entry level substitute for a gfx card in its early day.

I dont know though, they may have gotten another marketing guru on the case who has tried to sell it to the world and hype it up since then

Soldato
Yes, I agree, that is how it'll pan out to begin with, but I can't help but see it as a sign of things to come. If they can, why not?

I would expect it will be a long time before the performance is on a par for gaming, but the amount of business/home machines that could benefit from the added simplicity and size(and perhaps other advantages that I don't know about yet) is large.

I wouldn't be surprised if AMD announced something similar for their CPUs, meaning nvidia will have to try to jump on the bandwagon too if they are to survive in the long term. Maybe I'm dreaming, but didn't nvidia claim GPU (parallel?) processing would outlive our current architecture?

Man of Honour
Larrabee is a lame duck...

Not discounting intel making inroads in the game rendering side of things at some point but they have a very long way to go to get there and larrabee is not the meal ticket.

Caporegime
As intel said, first iterations will be most likely aimed at midrange/value segments, largely because they want something that will eventually intergrate on the CPU rather than win the discrete market which frankly, isn't much of a money maker.

But they could be underplaying it, basically AMD/Nvidia have years of experience, and more importantly ties to developers so they know what dev's want in the future, know whats coming up in the next couple years and so can tailor their plans accordingly. Its like jumping onto a treadmill going at full speed, damn hard to jump on and instantly be at the right speed, but a few steps and you're up to pace, I see that being what Intel do. Ignore the competition simply make cards, get working, get anything out and learn the ropes and have a good 2-3 year plan for products.

I think also not a delay, but less money being pumped in and with a couple fabs all but shut down to save costs during the recession they aren't really looking for massive scale mass production in another plant just yet.

As far as I know, they've already had 1-2 generations of intel products over the past couple years that weren't really intended to be ready for release, but essentially doing what I said, learning how to make them, how to balance them, testing them, tweaking the design for their next gen, but a few times internally before going for a release product.

Which is why its hard to say what generation/version of Larabee we finally see when it gets out, specs rumoured 1-2 years ago would most likely be for previous generation cards, newer ones on smaller processes are likely signifcantly faster than their earlier stuff.

Back
Top Bottom