Laser eye treatment - who's done it?

Soldato
Well I just need to wait for my eyes to stabilise. I was completely fine until earlier this year when they finally degenerated to the point I noticed stuff in the horizon was slightly blurry.

Hopefully at 23 they've stopped so I can get this done ASAP. Bifocals = no.

Hoping whichever way I go I end up with 20/15 so I have a net gain overall. :D

Soldato
Well I just need to wait for my eyes to stabilise. I was completely fine until earlier this year when they finally degenerated to the point I noticed stuff in the horizon was slightly blurry.

Hopefully at 23 they've stopped so I can get this done ASAP. Bifocals = no.

Hoping whichever way I go I end up with 20/15 so I have a net gain overall. :D

I was also stable from 19 till 22 when it changed a little bit but remained stable until 27 when I did the surgery. They'll probably want to leave you at +0.5 till +0.75 so it might actually be possible for you to get SMILE.

Man of Honour
I'm currently looking into getting laser eye surgery and considering either the London Vision Clinic or the Focus Clinic as from what I can tell reading here and elsewhere they are both fairly highly regarded. Is there anywhere else I should be considering?

Associate
I looked into getting my eyes lasered a few years ago but it was prohibitively expensive. £3,000 as my eyes are both -6.00 and I have astigmatism.

Also worried it'll be a waste in the long run as every person I know who's had the treatment is now wearing glasses again within 10 years of having it done (were all in their 20's).

On a side note, how would you get home afterwards if you don't have anyone to go with you to help?

Last edited:
Caporegime
only downside ive got is a touch of starburst/halo from bright lighst at night.

but i knew this was a risk as i have large pupils.

but it's no worse than the glare off glasses

Caporegime
I'm currently looking into getting laser eye surgery and considering either the London Vision Clinic or the Focus Clinic as from what I can tell reading here and elsewhere they are both fairly highly regarded. Is there anywhere else I should be considering?

I had mine done at Optical Express and can't complain with how it's gone. I didn't have the best experience for the first day or so after the op, but the after care etc and the results a year later I can't fault them.

On a side note, how would you get home afterwards if you don't have anyone to go with you to help?

From my experience if I didn't have anyone to go with I wouldn't have got home, at least not for 5/6 hours. Within 15 minutes of the operation my eyes were streaming and tender to light to the point of not being able to open my eyes. It was pretty horrendous.

Associate
I looked into getting my eyes lasered a few years ago but it was prohibitively expensive. £3,000 as my eyes are both -6.00 and I have astigmatism.

Also worried it'll be a waste in the long run as every person I know who's had the treatment is now wearing glasses again within 10 years of having it done (were all in their 20's).

I had it done twice, more prescription = less chance of getting it right first time.

Second time I had to have lasek as opposed to lasik that I paid a premium for so consider this and discuss options with optometrist

Associate
From my experience if I didn't have anyone to go with I wouldn't have got home, at least not for 5/6 hours. Within 15 minutes of the operation my eyes were streaming and tender to light to the point of not being able to open my eyes. It was pretty horrendous.

Exactly the same experience for me, I was out of action for the rest of the afternoon and wouldn't have been able to get home.

Man of Honour
you get a massasge before the treatment at lvc :p

Well that's settled it. :p

I had mine done at Optical Express and can't complain with how it's gone. I didn't have the best experience for the first day or so after the op, but the after care etc and the results a year later I can't fault them.

Thanks for another view, it's useful to hear about others experiences.

Associate
I'm giving laser surgery serious thought. Really want the RELEX SMILE (keyhole) option.

Basically settled on the London Vision Clinic as being the best option. Dan Rheinstein seems to be the foremost laser refractive surgeon in the UK, and possibly Europe.

Price is currently £4900 for both eyes.

Soldato
I'm giving laser surgery serious thought. Really want the RELEX SMILE (keyhole) option.

Basically settled on the London Vision Clinic as being the best option. Dan Rheinstein seems to be the foremost laser refractive surgeon in the UK, and possibly Europe.

Price is currently £4900 for both eyes.

That's what i did. Relex Smile at LVC with Dan Reinstein. Now I see 20/12 in one eye and 20/16 in another, one year post op. Also paid £4,900.

Man of Honour
I forgot to update but I've had my consultation with LVC and I'm booked in for surgery in early May. I've been told that I shouldn't expect any better than 20/25 as that's the maximum my eyes appear to be capable of and that's what I currently get when wearing my glasses apparently, mildly disappointing not to be at 20/20 but since I've probably never had vision that good I can't really miss it. Also it's a bit strange that none of the various opticians I've had have seen fit to mention it to me - however if it all works out then I'm fine with having what I've got now but without glasses or contact lenses.

Soldato
I forgot to update but I've had my consultation with LVC and I'm booked in for surgery in early May. I've been told that I shouldn't expect any better than 20/25 as that's the maximum my eyes appear to be capable of and that's what I currently get when wearing my glasses apparently, mildly disappointing not to be at 20/20 but since I've probably never had vision that good I can't really miss it. Also it's a bit strange that none of the various opticians I've had have seen fit to mention it to me - however if it all works out then I'm fine with having what I've got now but without glasses or contact lenses.

Yeah if your natural vision is at 20/25 and this isn't caused by higher order aberrations in your cornea, they can only give you as good as your best glasses, maybe plus one line. So you still might get 20/20 or get close. Maybe 20/25+2 or 20/20-2.

I hope you get great results!

Man of Honour
Yeah if your natural vision is at 20/25 and this isn't caused by higher order aberrations in your cornea, they can only give you as good as your best glasses, maybe plus one line. So you still might get 20/20 or get close. Maybe 20/25+2 or 20/20-2.

I hope you get great results!

Thank you, that's useful to know. I'm looking forward to finding out anyway.

Back
Top Bottom