1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laser vs Inkjet for home use

Discussion in 'Printers' started by EdwardTeach, Feb 3, 2015.

1. EdwardTeach

Mobster

I have a couple of non-working inkjet printers at home (one of them prob just requires a cartridge replacement). One of my mates has suggested I get a Laser printer as the ongoing costs are lower, and the cartridges don't "dry out". Is there any sense in this? Black and white is probably fine. printer will mostly be for forms, boarding passes etc, and we dont print much.
    Can someone recommend me a laser printer. I have seen some samsungs for around 70 quid, is there any features to look our for or brands to avoid?

2. EdwardTeach

Mobster

Bumpytybump

3. LizardKing

Sgarrista

For the price of a laser these days it seems almost pointless considering ink, unless you need the better print quality budget inks give over budget lasers.
    I've got a cheap (~£50 cheap!) samsung thats ~4 years old now and still hasn't missed a beat, ink would have dried up long ago.

4. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Can't give any recommendations, but I've been satisfied with my budget HP colour laser over 7 years ownership. For mono printing, at least (colour, the calibration seems out and I can't seem to correct it)

Infrequent use ruled out ink for me - them gumming up was a real problem.

Worth checking toner costs, though. My printer was £100 with 4 starter toners. Official replacements are £50 each. I buy alternatives at about £20. They last ages, to be fair.

5. SickAsAParrot

Hitman

Yeah abandoned inkjets last year after a second official HP cartridge failed to work properly (blue fading halfway down the photo) and it ended up in the bin.

Home Bargains had some Pantum 2000 lasers for £40 so I took a punt on one of those (it went down to £30 later, pah!). It still works great, had a 1500 page 'starter' cartridge which tbh will probably last me the rest of my life. Tescos were also flogging off some cheap Ricohs at the same time so it's worth a shop around.

6. Philtor

Soldato

Can't beat a Laser for reliability and running costs in my experience. Have a little Samsung Mono Laser myself and it has never missed a beat.

7. lumencreative

Gangster

Another vote here for lasers.

One thing to bear in mind if you go for a colour laser is that most have imaging units or fuser units that also need replacing from time to time and can be expensive (£100+ but lasts for 50,000+ pages).

The small Dell laser printers use LED technology so don't need imaging units or fusers and the toners are really cheap (last set I bought were £50 for 3 full sets).

The Dell is a bit slow compared to other lasers (still fast compared to inkjet though) so I have just upgraded to a used B&W HP Laserjet and a used Colour HP Laserjet which cost me £80 each for business grade printers but the cartridges are more pricey than the Dell.

8. EdwardTeach

Mobster

Thanks for all the replies.

Lumencreative - did you ditch the Dell just for speed reasons?

Any printer we own will be used infrequently for printing typically just a few sheets of papers, so speed is not really an issue. Long term reliability is though, as we want it to work whenever we need it.

9. lumencreative

Gangster

There were a few reasons we upgraded really and speed was just one of them. We wanted a printer that could connect to our network and that printed duplex, neither of which the Dell did (the Dell I have is the Dell 1250C).

If it's for infrequent use, I would definitely recommend the smaller Dell printers. The current model is a Dell C1760nw which is Wireless as well and you can get a full set of compatible toners for £11 on the famous auction site.

10. RichIbizaSport

Wise Guy

I'm also very tempted by the C1760nw, really want a scanner too but the size of the printer seems to increase rather alot :(

I want a nice neat small one!

11. faceman123

Wise Guy

laser man ink runs dry

12. TubbyGreg

Gangster

I use a brother HL-1112, which is a laser printer. It's much quicker than I am used to having only previously experienced inkjet printers. I only use it for printing tickets, and occasionally homework, so for me it's perfect. I bought it from Argos for ~£50

13. dowcow

Gangster

Having used a big old colour laser for years, I decided to get an inkjet rather than spend more on replacing one of the four toners. Since then, I have bought several cartridges and printed maybe a dozen pages on each cartridge before they have dried up. Now lasers have become so cheap I will be going back rather than buy another cartridge I think. I had never heard about the infrequent use = dried up cartridges issue before.

14. neodude

Mobster

I use an HP LaserJet Pro CM1415fn and can't fault it at all. Can sit idle for a year and still print perfectly. Totally wireless so Scan & Print available from every device in the house.

15. Dimension

Hitman

Installed my fourth Black toner cartridge into this printer today @ £9 each or £23 for set with colours.

I wonder how much this would have cost with ink?. The printer was £72 with 5 year onsite warranty 6 years ago, and has worked perfectly since day one.

[​IMG] [/IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  16. OLDPHART

Soldato

Just bought another canon inkjet printer a MG6650 after my canon IP4300 died after 10yrs of very good service on compatible ink cartridges.

Never suffered from the ink drying up and it still printed like new.

Compatible ink cartridges MG6650 set of 5-XL £3 with free postage.

A laser printer is a must for a student or office, but prefer a inkjet for home.

17. Golf1.6

Hitman

i have both. The only reason why I have the inkjet is becasue I need it to print on long 1m rolls of paper for printer large format diagrams.

The inkjet is hooked up to a CIS system, and does need the print heads to be purged occasionally. In my extended family, we've been through a total of 6 inkjet printers, they work at the beginning but bedue to lack of uses the print heads dry. I managed to keep mine going by a heck of a lot of elbow grease. There's a product call pristine printhead cleaner which you inject directly into the print head which breaks down dried up in in the print head. I've had some success with this - but it's a painstaking process.

The laser is reliable, but it does need service after 10,000 prints or so (sounds like a lot, but it's really not it's just 20 reams of paper, in an office you can go through that much printing in a year or less). The individual components (drive belt, laser imaging unit, waster toner tank etc) are expensive. But laser printers are so cheap to buy there's nothing wrong in just buying a replacement printer.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  18. Luggs

Wise Guy

How do lasers compare to inkjets for printing photos out of interest?

19. ShiWarrior

Capodecina

apparently (from googling as Im looking at buying a printer, but not for photo use)
    inkjet printers are better at colour photo printing than lasers are (apparently)

20. Luggs

Wise Guy

Yes, from a little googling myself i'm getting that impression, but i'm always suspicious about untrusted reviews being sponsored/influenced by manufacturers etc...

Which is why I always come to OCUK forums :)

But I have worked at companies using lasers to print colourful presentations and collateral which look great and I can't understand how a photo is different?