1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laser vs Inkjet for home use

Discussion in 'Printers' started by EdwardTeach, Feb 3, 2015.

1. ShiWarrior

Capodecina

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_printing

Color laser printers[edit]

Fuji Xerox color laser printer C1110B
    Color laser printers use colored toner (dry ink), typically cyan, magenta, yellow, and black (CMYK). While monochrome printers only use one laser scanner assembly, color printers often have two or more.

Color printing adds complexity to the printing process because very slight misalignments known as registration errors can occur between printing each color, causing unintended color fringing, blurring, or light/dark streaking along the edges of colored regions. To permit a high registration accuracy, some color laser printers use a large rotating belt called a "transfer belt". The transfer belt passes in front of all the toner cartridges and each of the toner layers are precisely applied to the belt. The combined layers are then applied to the paper in a uniform single step.

Color printers usually have a higher cost per page than monochrome printers (even if printing monochrome-only pages).

Comparison with inkjet printers[edit]

Manufacturers use a similar business model for both low-cost color laser printers and inkjet printers: the printers are sold cheaply while replacement toners and inks are relatively expensive. Color laser printers are much quicker than inkjet printers and their running cost per page is usually slightly less. The print quality of color lasers is limited by their resolution, typically 600–1200 dpi, and their use of just four color toners. They often have trouble printing large areas of the same or gradually changing color. Inkjet printers designed for printing photos can produce much higher quality color images.[13]

2. Golf1.6

Hitman

professional printers that print leaflets and brochures use a very different type of printer to your office printer.

3. Scougar

Capodecina

Laser, without question. They are stupidly cheap nowadays. Considering how cheap you can buy laser printers it is amazing how much you can spend for a stupid little fan for your case.

(Although I just spent a massive 7 dollars on a wifi inkjet for the wife lol)

4. PapaLazaru

Capodecina

In the market myself for a laser printer. My Canon inkjet is causing me headaches with drivers, I just cannot get it to install.

Been looking at the Samsung Mono series (do not need colour). For £50 or so they seem like very good value and will repay themselves over a year or so as the running costs are so much cheaper.

Like the look and reviews of the SAMSUNG Xpress SL-M2022.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  5. PapaLazaru

Capodecina

Just picked one up in Staples today for £39.99.

It is compact and fast.

6. BluD

Mobster

Yeah Lasers are great, my parents used to have so much hassel with their inkjets over the years, constantly having to change cartridges but about 5 years ago i bought them a Laser printer, and theyve only had to buy 2 toners in that time. The first toner they bought from a printer shop in town and it cost them about 80 quid, but the second one they bought online, its not an official one but its just as good and only cost 20 quid.

7. Minstadave

Caporegime

After several inkjets drying up and outrageous ink prices we moved to a Dell 1250C. Best move ever. Still using the original toners, compact enough to sit on a desk and cheap toner available off eBay.

8. Jim99

Wise Guy

Got so fed up of my inkjets breaking I've gone to a Brother laser mono and it's much better. ~£8 for an unofficial toner on Amazon Prime and thousands of prints.

9. ShiWarrior

Capodecina

I bought a brother laser printer recently too

got one from the stapler shop , brother laser mono printer, was on offer, so paid less for the better model, and I had a free £60 voucher to use up, so I paid £20 for a £160 printer :D

10. londonbairn

Soldato

I want to get a laser as well. Sick of the inkjet running out of ink quickly and drying up.

I have my eyes on Lexmark CS410dn which looks nice or Samsung CLP-680ND, both available for slightly above £100.

Anyone any experiences with them?

11. Quartz

Capodecina

I too have moved to laser. I have a Brother DCP 9020CDW. It scans, has an ADF, and prints duplex.

12. ShiWarrior

Capodecina

after doing tons of research I ended up with a brother, was tempted to get the Samsung, but decided not to

13. Scougar

Capodecina

After I said I bought a 7 dollar wifi inkjet/scanner for the wife, I then picked up a colour laser printer/scanner for 20 dollars. (Was around 450-500 new). Works great.

You simply cannot beat a laser for running costs and quality of print. The exception being photographs, which to be honest, it probably works out cheaper and better quality to get them printed off at a store anyway compared to the cost nowadays of an inkjet.

When they first started out, inkjets were good and cheap to run. But nowadays the manufacturers give you hardly any ink; say the cartridges are out of ink way before they actually are; price the cartridges excessively.

14. Andre

Mobster

I ended up with a HP OfficeJet Pro x476dw for home use - get about 3,000 pages out of standard cartridges (just finished the black starter cartridge after a year), and the XL ones should give about 10,000 pages - plenty fast enough at up to 55ppm.
    Gives you the (nearly) best of both worlds. Photo quality isn't up there with the best photo inkjets - but is perfectly acceptable for most needs

Oh - on offer, it cost me less than £100

15. londonbairn

Soldato

Where did you get it? cheapest I can see now is £200 including cashback. I was going to get a Brother L8250CDN but if you can get the x476dw for near your price that seems a better bet

16. Andre

Mobster

Sorry londonbairn - this was last October, and it was on offer, with another £140 cashback from HP plus another £30 Topcashback (I think!)

Managed to get a similar deal BOGOF from the same place (Competitor so cannot mention here) for the office - think they worked out about £160 each

HP seem to always be doing deals on these, it's just a case of keeping an eye open :)

17. londonbairn

Soldato

Ah gotcha, just saw the offer now, BOGOF, £100 trade in and £100 cashback. Pretty good deal, but didn't realize it's an inkjet. I managed to get our inkjet fixed for free (Kodak now give free printheads), so want a laser printer to compliment whilst leaving photos for the inkjet.

Will probably go for the L8250CDN for £130 as refilling it is very easy

18. Andre

Mobster

Must admit, for an inkjet it hasn't clogged once in a year. It uses HP's full page technology for printing (the Print head is the width of the paper) so no shaking and a speedy delivery of pages

I was skeptical originally, but for the price I couldn't resist - and haven't been disappointed. Cartridges are down really cheap now too

19. londonbairn

Soldato

it is a cracking price I must admit with all the trade ins and features it has. If I was opting for inkjet / couldn't get my one fixed would definitely go for it.

My current inkjet photo quality is pretty good so don't want to lose that, but parents need a new printer so will tell them to get it

20. londonbairn

Soldato

Ended up getting a Dell C2660DN after a lot of thought. Managed to get it for £100 post cashback which is good. Seemed like one of the better printers for colour quality at the price point. Didn't need an AIO either as keeping the inkjet for photos.

Also got the Phaser 6022 for parents (was on offer for £80 plus £25 amazon voucher and a wad of Xerox points) recently. Set it up last night, really impressive. Would have got the same but I need auto duplex.