1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laser vs Inkjet for home use

Discussion in 'Printers' started by EdwardTeach, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Phil2008

Sgarrista

My brother inkjet just sips the ink as a set of good compatibles carts lasts about a year, so its a bit like a laser, but probably not at quick. Plus it never gets clogged up because it automatically checks/cleans the heads weekly, even when the printer is switched off.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  2. a1ex2001

Capodecina

Had a black and white Samung ML1710 for a decade now and it's never missed a beat cheap ebay toners seem to last forever! I've given up on colour inkjets and print photo's online now as it's so much easier! Although all this talk of affordable colour lasers has me browsing the dell store would be nice to have a network job tucked away under the stairs!

3. R4z0r

Mobster

Did you get this one? Seems like a great option for a colour laser printer/scanner.

4. ShiWarrior

Capodecina

im still on my ink that came with my laser printer
    had it 6 months ? (check my previous post)

5. Wingz

Mobster

My m277dw arrived on friday after a 3 week wait because it was out of stock on the HP website. It was £199 minus 10% promo code so around £179.

So far i'm impressed, printing and scanning is super fast and the duplex option is a must for me. I can have it anywhere in house because its connected to the network using wifi. The touch screen is easy to navigate and I like the features such as being able to scan to email, network folder or usb flash drive, printing docs from the cloud, usb stick, mobile phone, NFC, you can even setup a hp printer email so that you can email a attachment (photo, pdf, word, excel) to the printer anywhere in the world and it will print it out.

Its also not that big for a all in one printer. Its also very power efficient according to a website it says
    Downside is that the toners are expensive but its for home use so I don't expect to run out of toner anytime soon. it comes with starter toners (black @1500 pages & colours 700 pages). When it does run out my workaround is to buy refills which costs around £50 for the whole set.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  6. Doug

Mobster

I've had a Samsung 315W for exactly 6 years now. I stuck the toners and other parts on my wish list the same time I bought the printer and I still haven't needed to buy any yet.

Probably says more about how little it's used than anything else :D

I used to go literally over a year between prints, and it's never taken offence at being off for so long.

It does have a little issue that developed sometime after the warranty expired, however I've never printed anything important enough that I've bothered to sort it out.

7. Nikumba

Mobster

Have a Brother colour network laser, got it cheap from work very happy with it, just sits silent in the corner for the last 2 years, click print and out it comes no need to worry about ink drying out.

8. crinkleshoes

Capodecina

I managed to get an OKI MC352DN for about £100 after cashback with a set of full toners... I don't think the offer is still on, but given I was spending about £30-40 every 1-2 months on ink cartridges for my ageing Canon and this is still on 70% after 6 months use.

I'm quite happy with the purchase... the ongoing costs will be lower and it has a 3 year on-site warranty.

9. Phil2008

Sgarrista

Same here, but mines a inkjet but it checks its self weekly when its off or on, so it doesnt matter how long I go without printing.

10. zom247

Mobster

I've got an HP 8600e inkjet which I've had for about 4 years now. Almost all my ink cartridges are empty so I'm contemplating buying a M277dw. I can get it for £179 delivered and if I buy new ink for my 8600e then that's almost £60. I've always wanted a colour laser printer so now might be the time to do it. Just gotta convince the Mrs with the maths :)

11. Billies Bangers

Banned

I don't do a lot of printing and hardly ever colour. After years of ink cartridges drying up through lack of use or print heads becoming blocked I had had enough.

I have purchased a Samsung M2070 mono laser. Oh how I wish I had bought one years ago. It's just so reliable and even when not used for a while the first sheet to print is as clear as crystal.

12. Schizo

Capodecina

Been reading this thread and have deceided on a laser,i probaly print out about 30 pages a year and mostly shipping and holiday (daughters) forms,had enough of ink on my lexmark and got this printer for £35.00 Ricoh SP 213w Wireless A4 Mono Laser Printer.

Will do me fine and should last longer than my bloomin lexmark.

13. Schizo

Capodecina

Well,got my ricoh and its superb for the money,chucks out black and white like nothing,superb quality.

14. Phil2008

Sgarrista

I have just tried my old epson inkjet printer that has been ontop of my cupboard for 5yrs or longer. I was expecting it to print nothing at all, but amazingly it printed, just a little bit liney. It only took 1 head clean to sort out the liney prints and the carts are compatibles too. Impressive hey?

15. steveliddle

Associate

used to have an inkjet, then got given a free brother laser, but mono only. was massively faster and then it developed a fault that it kept printing what was in the buffer until the toner expired.

took a long look at colour lasers and went with a local pick up from a store of the color laserjet pro m252dw, most of the prices were £180, but got it for £135

use it mostly for work in mono, but colour is great for personal use :)

replacement media can be expensive, but suspect will need black long before the coloured

16. chilipeppersc

Hitman

Had an Epson on ink recently and the ink for covered, 412-xp home (or something similar) it was only a couple if years old and we were only away 2 months! I'll never go back to inkjet.

Just purchased a Brother hl 1212? For home use, black and white only buy so far it's fantastic, 300 pages in and the toner level hs barely moved.

17. hornetstinger

Soldato

I've gone for a colour laser, it's very affordable and don't have problem of drying out inkjet heads- had throwaway a £400 Epson.

oh and lasers don't use ink they use toner.

18. Phil2008

Sgarrista

That's the one reason I try to stay with brother inkjets, because they clean the heads weekly, and this brother I have atm, a set of inks last about a year.

19. w00dy85

Hitman

I have just noticed the Dell C1760NW for £89, worth getting or wait for Black Friday?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  20. Nikumba

Mobster

Just had to get a new toner for my Brother colour network laser, Only cost £12 and will last forever lol

Full colour pack is only about £40 as well

Kimbie