1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laser vs Inkjet for home use

Discussion in 'Printers' started by EdwardTeach, Feb 3, 2015.

1. neodude

Mobster

I just bought a full set of toners for my HP laser. 200 quid, but they'll last a couple of years. Would never go back to inkjet. I have a little Canon Selphy ribbon printer which does perfect 6x4 photo prints should I need them.

2. Phil2008

Sgarrista

Ah the good old ribbon printers, they are the old dot matrax printers

I think if you are not using a printer much, you want a laser printer or a brother inkjet printer, because all the brother printers do a weekly head check, so in theory they shouldn't clog up.

3. hornetstinger

Soldato

Dot Matrix.

4. Phil2008

Sgarrista

Yeah thats it:D...... You can still buy them new aswel, but why would anyone want one nowadays?

5. hornetstinger

Soldato

because they sound great.

6. Phil2008

Sgarrista

hehe, Those were the days, where you tried todo complicted stuff just to see how long it would take to print:D....... I had a Star LC200, No idea how I rememered that. I bought it with my Atari 1040 ST computer.

God, that brings back memories........ good times.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  7. zom247

Mobster

I've now had my M277DW for just over a year now and my cartridges are starting to get low. Has anyone who's got this printer used non-HP cartridges and if so, where did you buy them from? Just been looking at the prices for HP ones and they now cost almost as much as the printer cost me, I knew they weren't cheap when I bought it but it might be cheaper to buy another printer.

8. quish

Hitman

I have refilled the original cartriges of my HP M277DW it was very easy to do, the cost (if I remember correctly) was about 40 quid to do the all the cartriges,I also downgraded the firmware which stopped the printer from moaning about refilled cartriges

9. zom247

Mobster

Was that from this site:

http://urefilltoner.co.uk/

Did you get the firmware downgrade from the HP site?

10. quish

Hitman

Yes thats the place I got the refills from, he's very helpful if you have any questions.
    The firmware I have was from the HP site the one you want is 20150716 if you can't find it drop me a message and I can maybe send it you

11. zom247

Mobster

Thanks, just ordered some toners and I've still got a copy of the firmware on my PC.

12. Spacedeck

Mobster

Hey, how are you finding the MG6650? The last printer I bought was IP4600 and the printer was great. Now that isn't in my possession and we are using an Epson XP-215. This printer isn't great at all and ink is very low right now, so I want to buy something new and better.

I've been reading about the whole Ink vs Laser and I must say, even though we have gone times where the printer hasn't been touched, we haven't had ink dry up before. Ink on the other hand is very expensive unless buying compatible.

How is the colour printing on this? I would like to be able to print photos and artwork and currently have have loads of things we will need to print out for coursework, which will mostly be B&W text.

Out of the printers I've looked at, I keep going back to look at MG6850. Do the compatible inks work fine and can you get them relativity cheap? Currently can have this for £59, so really looking for a fast(ish) reply so I can have it delivered tomorrow.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  13. OLDPHART

Soldato

Hi sorry for the late reply, l always use compatible inks no problems l print photos as well which come out far better than ip4300 l owned.

MG6650>[Print Resolution Up to 4800¹ x 1200 dpi], compatible inks full setx6=£10 fleabay

14. EsaT

Sgarrista

No one will be doing this on inkjets:

15. Plec

Capodecina

Brilliant! :)

Although one of my old inkjets used to make a pretty good beat when it was freaking out over third party inks.

16. EsaT

Sgarrista

I guess some PC beeper for errors would be too expensive to have in inkjet...
    Though nothing is too much when it comes to making sure users have to keep buying expensive inks.

Too bad those weren't "polyphonic".
    Well, likely most current users haven't even heard proper floppy drive sound and some are now already claiming that HDDs are dead.
    Darn music haters...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM_sAxrAu7Q
    https://youtu.be/Ldjg5ME_FNE?t=50s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs9jiXOKNls
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-X-p0C0Uas
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kQYRquhcXU

17. ayeok

Associate

Inkjets are way ahead of lasers on quality. But the quality from a modern colour laser is usually more than most will actually need.

Inkjets are slow and the nozzles can clog up. Lasers are much faster in general and also much, much cheaper per page.

Go laser unless you absolutely must have photo quality for every page would be my advice.

18. Phil2008

Sgarrista

I thought lasers were much better on quality for B&W stuff?

Inkjets are about on par with lasers now speedwise, as inkjets have come a long way in the last few years.. My new brother printer prints a4 pages out lndscape, so the head doesn't need todo meny sweeps across the page to print out a full page of text, so it takes roughly 3-5secs to print out a4 at normal quality.

19. ayeok

Associate

Mono and colour are produced in the same way Phil - resolution and colour depth plus the mechanical design of the hardware are typically responsible for the differences. It's possible to make an inkjet run at laser speeds, just not practical or cost effective and the output quality would suffer as a result. Horses for courses and all that.

20. zom247

Mobster

Finally had to fill the black cartridge on my HP M277DW about 3 weeks ago having purchased the refill kit back in April. All went well with the refill and printing was good until yesterday when I noticed it was patchy on the right hand side. I emailed the refill guy and he reckons it's the primary charge roller so it looks like I need a new black cartridge. Can anyone recommend a place to buy the cartridge from? It's out of warranty so a compatible one is fine.