Last piece of Tech that made you go "WOW!!"?

Man of Honour
My last couple of supposedly 'never go back' purchases, a SSD drive and a mechanical keyboard, have left me somewhat nonplussed. Nice, to be sure, but far from the overwhelming experience I'd prepared myself for based on the reactions of others. They carried a big price premium (compared to conventional drives/keyboards) and the improvement certainly didn't feel like it outweighed the cost associated with it.

So anyway, that got me to thinking. What was the last tech purchase I've made where I've gone "WOW, that is totally awesome, way better than I was expecting, money well spent!". So I thought...

...and I thought...

...and I thought some more.

I'm actually struggling to come up with something. Not strictly computer hardware, but probably my phone (HTC Desire HD) that I got around 15 months ago. Did pretty much everything I wanted from it, loads of great usability tweaks like automatic text wrapping, making it easy to search for stuff, unexpected extras that I've ended up using a lot like the Flashlight app.

If I restrict it to PC hardware, it gets even more tricky. I'm looking around my desk, looking at what I've got plugged in, what's in the case, what boxes I have scattered around. What have I got:

-Logtech G5 mouse: Seems no better than the MX518 it replaced
-Zowie Celeritas keyboard: Doesn't seem earth-shattering compared to my old G15
-Shure SRH840 headphones: Very nice but cost over £100 and not a massive step up from my Sennheiser HD555
-Viewsonic VX2268WM monitor: Obviously a lot better than 75hz TFT alongside it, but aside from the practicality (size/weight) no better than a big CRT
-OCZ Agility 3 SSD: Windows is a bit slicker but boot times nothing to write home about and transfer speeds don't seem noticeably better than my better mechanical drives. Only running in SATA2 mode but was expecting more.

To be honest, I think the most recent bit of kit that impressed me was probably my motherboard, an MSI P55 GD65. Only cost £64 about 2.5 years ago which seems like a pretty good deal to me, good for overclocking, good features for the time, although the lack of USB3 and SATA3 is showing a little now.

So how about you?

Soldato
can only think of one real WOW moment.

a pair of voodoo 2 3dfx cards in SLI dropped into my rig back in the 90's

the only other WOW would be celeron A 300mhz cpus running at 450mhz without a fuss, this was back when such things were unheard of and put the bargain basement celerons in a class of their own

other than that everything since has been a hmm not bad notable mentions go to core2 chips athlon 64s and opteron chips. 8800gtx gpus and possibly the introduction of ssd drives

Man of Honour
Mechanical Keyboards are a bit of an odd one same with 120Hz panels both for me are like night and day compared to the membrane/rubber dome keyboard and 60Hz monitor alternatives but I can see why the difference isn't so noticeable for others.

Not quite in the same area as the OP but the last bit of tech thats really impressed me is my Samsung Galaxy Note.

My first SSD, which is the one I still have - 60GB OCZ Vertex 1st gen.
Made my old e6600 PC feel like a new one.

I agree with the PSX comment. I had a release day PS2 but the **** chewed the games up and I had to wait ages for a new one! The new one chewed games too! My 4th one worked OK though :p.

Soldato
I'm going to invoke the wrath of the regulars on this forum but I have to say that the original iPhone was an "Oh WOW!" moment for me. It completely changed the whole mobile phone business when it was first announced.

Associate
My 8800GTS years ago epic card and is still going strong in my brothers rig now (my old rig).

I bought my current rig (i7 930) 2 years ago and was simply astounded at the performance it was greased lightning on acid compared to my C2D I had :eek:

Stoner81.

Associate
been quite a few, but then i do have a habit of buying the latest and greatest things i can get my hands on.

Oldest is probably my first android phone, the t-mobile g1 (i forget htc name) going from a nokia smart phone to that was like cavemen going to mars.

Next is probably my HTC desire S (android lover for years) for such little on paper difference to a normal desire it works 1000times better and much nicer to use.

Another android related item. My asus transformer prime esspecially when i upgraded it to ice cream sandwich that thing is just mental so good for so many things expensive mind you at £420 ex vat but totally worth it makes tablets in my eyes actually usefull and not just a look at me i can pose with my ipad

And finally my new pc going from rubbish laptops and ancient desktops with intergrated graphics to a nice quad core and 6850 was nuts. I think the 6850 was the best buy £90 for overclockers asus one was cheap as chips graphics card but for the money it has stunning performance

Soldato
My first core2 chip running Ubuntu on a pair of SATA drives in RAID0 ... That amazed me for a home box.

My ergotrons. ******* amazing build quality.

Recently... Comply ear buds/IEMs coupled with a Xonar D2/Fiio E10 .... I'll never use onboard again and will even carry a Fiio E10 in cases of emergency :D

EDIT: Yes SSDs didn't wow me either

Back
Top Bottom