Last Upgrade 2014, could do with some advice.

Associate
Hiya, my last upgrade was back in 2014 on my processor motherboard and ram, and feel as though I'm on dated hardware I'm currently using:

Processor: i5 4690k

Motherboard: Asus z97-p

Ram: Corsair XMS3 8GB (Slightly convinced may have a faulty one or two)

My Budget is around £650-£800 but can stretch if needed.

So it's been a while since I've upgraded I'm currently running a Gigabyte G1 GTX 1080 @ 1440p and feel as though my CPU is holding me back on games like MMO's (WoW, Tera, Wildstar) A multitude of other games that tend to drop a lot or aren't as smooth as they should be. My CPU Isn't overclocked I've given it a good try on this motherboard but everything I try is unstable, may be related to dodgy ram? Had a few errors on Memtest.

My question is what sort of CPU would I be looking at these days for maximum gaming performance? I'd prefer an i7 as I may start streaming and recording in the future. I was looking at https://www.overclockers.co.uk/8pac...rclocked-bundle-150-pounds-off-bu-00l-8p.html

I see that overclockers offer the settings already to go straight to an overclock which is a major convenience for me (Not Lazy just not that experienced) I thought a bundle would be the best way to go, but since I haven't upgraded in so long I'm unsure. (Cooler isn't really needed as I have a custom build)

Edit: Would also like the option to at a future date to add another GTX1080

Last edited:

Gee

Gee

Soldato
I'm in the same boat mate, albeit with a 4670k, Z87X-UD3H and a 1080Ti @ 1440p 144hz.

Gonna go down the Ryzen (AMD) route I think. I also play WoW and with the engine being so old, I doubt you'll see much of an improvement in that but for stuff like SimCraft (if you use it) you'll benefit from the extra cores/threads.

Every other game though you should see some nice increases in minimums (frame rate wise) and it should overall feel a lot more smoother.

Associate
OP
I was considering the Ryzen route but I've always been a major fan of intel processors, my friend has the Z170X 6700k Skylake bundle I was considering but it's out of stock, we have identical PC's outside of the proc/mobo/ram and his performance out sheers mine considerably (WoW his settings are max and a few of mine are <medium)

Associate
As it stands the 7700 k outperforms Ryzen in almost all games. You could argue this may change as the platform continues to be optimised. Really is personnel choice and how much the work you do benefits from more cores. If you do content creation Ryzen is the way to go 100%. I don't do anything other than games so went 7700k

Back
Top Bottom