Late 90s 600cc sport bikes...a good shout for my first big bike?

Associate
Hi guys.

Well this will be my first big bike after riding on a little 125 on a CBT for a year or so. Having passed my DAS on Thursday I'm looking into these. Now the insurance in my area is an absolute nightmare but I've always wanted a 600 sport. So I thought I'd look into something older with less value.

I've been looking at 97-98 CBR600F3s, 99 ZX6Rs and late 90s GSXR 600s, etc. All can be had for £1500-£2000 with around 15k-22k mileage.

Just wondering what your opinions would be on one of these as a first bike, and things to look out for.

Thanks. :)

Soldato
I have a 97 CBR600F3, i love it, it's not overly quick, but if you thrash it it will surprise you how quick it is. Very revvy engine, anything below 7k revs is a bit limp but coming from a 125 like i did you'll think it's lightspeed :p

Soldato
They are all great bikes but a bike of that age will more than likely be a bit tired. plenty out there take your time and get a good example, they can be found if you look hard enough. Just look out for the obvious stuff first.

• Stick to OE colours, a custom paint job on 600s are normally done after a crash ( i know mine was )
  • Look for crash damage, scuffs on crank cases, bar ends. creases in the frame (early ninjas frames bend like cheese so look carefully)
  • Suspension - check front and back still have damping, if its on original shock it will be very tired if it hasnt been overhalled.
  • Brakes - make sure they have been well looked after, if they havent been stripped down every 6 months then chances are they will have siezed pistons etc. check out the discs as well, make sure there not to worn.

Get a test ride before you buy, leave a deposit, passport, whatever it takes, but dont buy a bike without riding it. When you get on it, acceerlate strongly through all the gears, make sure it isnt slipping, missing gears etc. Then check brakes, make sure there in good nick and not warped.

Associate
OP
I have a 97 CBR600F3, i love it, it's not overly quick, but if you thrash it it will surprise you how quick it is. Very revvy engine, anything below 7k revs is a bit limp but coming from a 125 like i did you'll think it's lightspeed :p

Haha I bet. Even the Kawasaki ER5 I did my DAS on felt like a rocketship compared to my 125.
They are all great bikes but a bike of that age will more than likely be a bit tired. plenty out there take your time and get a good example, they can be found if you look hard enough. Just look out for the obvious stuff first.

• Stick to OE colours, a custom paint job on 600s are normally done after a crash ( i know mine was )
  • Look for crash damage, scuffs on crank cases, bar ends. creases in the frame (early ninjas frames bend like cheese so look carefully)
  • Suspension - check front and back still have damping, if its on original shock it will be very tired if it hasnt been overhalled.
  • Brakes - make sure they have been well looked after, if they havent been stripped down every 6 months then chances are they will have siezed pistons etc. check out the discs as well, make sure there not to worn.

Get a test ride before you buy, leave a deposit, passport, whatever it takes, but dont buy a bike without riding it. When you get on it, acceerlate strongly through all the gears, make sure it isnt slipping, missing gears etc. Then check brakes, make sure there in good nick and not warped.

Great post kidloco, thanks for the advice. :) Indeed I've been looking for a while now. There's two CBR600Fs I will be enquiring about. I'll let you know how I get on.
Go for the CBR or the ZX6. CBR will last better overall although the ZX6s have strong engines. The GSXRs will all be knackered by now as their finish wasn't great.

I'm leaning heavily towards the CBR. Can likely stretch a bit for the 99 F4, it really does look fantastic IMO.

Tea Drinker
Don
Because of current money worries, a lot of the mags are doing features on bargain bikes, some of them with a little fettling will show some £10k bikes to shame for £2k + £1k mods.

Have a look, I am now inspired to buy one

Soldato
As posted above, avoid any GSX-R's from that time, even mine from '03 is starting to show its ware from it's build quality, and I'm trying my best to keep it good lol. They didn't start getting good till around 06 apparently, so late 90's will be mostly fubar by now.

Soldato

my 95 cbr600f3 didn't feel "a bit limp" below 7
power would come in with a rush at 5.5 rpm all the way to 13.5 rpm
and was very usable from 2, you didn't need to thrash it to go fast
and when did a 160mph bike become "not overly quick" lol

Soldato

It's all relative ;) . Once you've ridden something bigger than a 600 then it DOES feel limp below the power band. It's still going to be quicker than most cars you come across by quite a margin though, certainly not "slow".

Associate
I have CBR 600 F4i and under 5K your in town pootling territory, up to 9K is cruising territory and overtaking and spirited riding is done between 9 k and 14 in second and third gear. Good learner bike after your DAS as it takes you a while to realise how much power there is as it is hidden away (for your protection may I add) at the top end.

Associate
Another vote for a CBR6.
I had a 1997 one before I got my GSXR 750, loved it to bits(literally LOL) and is now owned by my house mate who's replaced all the panels and external bits!
If you can stretch to the 99 onwards ones you get the PGM F1 injection and the alu frame, a wholly different bike to the old steel framed ones.
A forgiving ride so if you push too hard it wont bite back straight away and can last for a very long time if looked after.

Associate
OP
Well after a couple months of searching for the perfect example, I'm finally a proud owner of a 1999 CBR600F4. The 40 mile ride back home was truly amazing. :D

Will get some pics up tomorrow. :cool:

Soldato

change gear at 7.5k revs, it'll fall below the 7k and it'll feel seriously lacking in power compared to the previous gear, now do the same but take it to 8.5k revs, it'll stay above 7k revs and pull just as nicely.
You get a slight rush at 5k revs which is fine for town riding, but 7 is where it's at.

Back
Top Bottom