Laws on laser pens

Commissario
There was a thread recently about laser pens and who owned one etc, just wondered what the laws were with regards to shining them and where you can and can't?

For instance, is it unlawful to shine it into someone elses property etc?

Associate
no particular laws on laser pens, lasers are currently unregulated i believe, as you can buy powerful lasers from wicked lasers.

using lasers in a unreasonable way, may be governed by another law, shining them say at the sky would be an ok use 'star gazing'.

maybe disturbing the peace or something, if you use it for annoying people.

Last edited:

HaX

HaX

Associate
As someone who is already blind in one eye, I have to say that I find the recent developments in the laser pen market rather disturbing.

When laser pens first came out, most of them were only 0.5 or 1 MW, and would only blind people if they were exposed to the beam for a prolonged period of time.

Now there are 10 MW models available on various web and auction sites, capable of burning/cutting through paper etc. The effect of someone shining a 10 MW laser pen into your eye would be instant retinal obliteration and blindness.

Very worrying IMHO.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
not really a necessity for any of those people are they.

He said useful, no one said that they were a necessity :confused: but they certainly are very useful in presentations. One of my lecturer had a very high powered green one. It was interesting, but kept our attention.

Soldato
As someone who is already blind in one eye, I have to say that I find the recent developments in the laser pen market rather disturbing.

When laser pens first came out, most of them were only 0.5 or 1 MW, and would only blind people if they were exposed to the beam for a prolonged period of time.

Now there are 10 MW models available on various web and auction sites, capable of burning/cutting through paper etc. The effect of someone shining a 10 MW laser pen into your eye would be instant retinal obliteration and blindness.

Very worrying IMHO.

they need banning as soon as possible. its very worrying

Soldato
He said useful, no one said that they were a necessity :confused: but they certainly are very useful in presentations. One of my lecturer had a very high powered green one. It was interesting, but kept our attention.

so if they arent a necessity that means im right theres no need for them at all.

toys for chavs

HaX

HaX

Associate
so if they arent a necessity that means im right theres no need for them at all.

toys for chavs

Completely agree with you there..... When I was in my last term of school (summer 98), a lot of the retarted chav kids had them and enjoyed shining them at people in assemblies etc. The wierd thing about having a laser shone into your eye is that you can't really see where its coming from straight away, it just fills your field of vision with whatever colour it is shining - eg red.

I have just found a 50 MW green laser pen on a well known auction site.

If someone shone one of those into your eye even for a split second, you would definitely be looking at permanent blindness in the targeted eye!

Aod

Aod

Soldato
shining a laser at overhead aircraft is likeley to cause big strong men to break your door down and arrest you, by the way.

Permabanned
They are however an excellent tool for demonstrating interference and diffraction effects imo.

I think all self-respecting physicists should carry around a laser pen and a selection of diffraction gratings ;)

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour

toys for chavs

I think that's a little OTT. In my opinion I disagree that you're right. They serve a purpose for those mentioned above.

yes im referring to laser pens obviously. only going to be used by kids to shine in peoples eyes. just like at West Ham yesterday.

You say they're only used by chavs to shine in peoples eyes, yet we have shown that are used my sensible adults with a purpose.

Last edited:
Associate
I think lasers are a necessity is lectures. One of my lecture halls is absolutely massive with numerous projects putting images 15ft up the wall. When going through code or formulas if the lecturer didn't have a laser to point at which part he is talking about I would be completely lost.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
I think lasers are a necessity is lectures. One of my lecture halls is absolutely massive with numerous projects putting images 15ft up the wall. When going through code or formulas if the lecturer didn't have a laser to point at which part he is talking about I would be completely lost.

Precisely. With the kind of images we have to look at (the brain and it's relevant area we may be discussing at any one time) it can be impossible to describe the area without somehow pointing it. If they didn't have a laser pointer, the only other option would be strapping fishing poles together, given the size of the auditorium, and that's not exactly ideal now ;)

Back
Top Bottom