Le Mans 2019. A quick question.

Associate
Hi Chaps,

Having watched Le Mans religiously for god knows how long, I thought it was best I actually went there and experienced it trackside, instead of couchside :p . I have booked accommodation not too far from the track, for a good price, and will be driving there and back. My question is, has anyone here been before? what is it like for access around the circuit? I understand that the length and geography of the circuit and its surroundings probably means that walking the circuit might not be possible?. Myself and my brother are able bodied however we are going with someone who is in a wheelchair. They are able to get up and walk for a short distance however no more than about 5 - 10 meters. The possibility of walking up some stairs in a grandstand is possible but no more. We dont really want to reside ourselves to one sector of the track for the entirety of the event, hence my question about accessibility around the circuit. Thinking back to 2010 when I went to Silverstone for the F1, I remember that quite abit of the track pathways were gravel / rocks, which would make life with a wheelchair quite difficult.

Any advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated, I want to make my first experience to the temple of endurance one to remember :) :)

Many Thanks

Soldato
If I'm honest I think you're going to really struggle r.e getting around the track with any sort of freedom. Depending which entrance and grandstand you book you will be a fair walk even to the stairs before going up - there are definitely disabled spaces dotted around the karting entrance and possibly at the airport side too but I have no idea how you get access to them, could be worth investigating.

During the race the only way you'll get to the south side of the track (Mulsanne, Arnage corners) is via the shuttle buses / little trains running around - these are always absolutely ram packed with as many people as can possibly fit into the bus standing. Porsche curves may be the closest area to you but the public viewing area is on a hill and entrance is either through the campsite (gravel) or through a short woodland path climbing through the side of a gate.

Assuming you're on the airport side or at Tetre Rouge you will also only really be able to access the Karting side of the track by going on a 15-20 minute walk.

Having said all this you can't possibly be the only people that have some access considerations, it could be worth asking in pistonheads or BeerMountain or the like.

Another option could be one of the private sections of camp site (possibly one of the Porsche curves setups). There is a private grandstand on the travel destinations side of Porsche curves but I have no idea of cost or exactly who "owns" it. Plus you'd pretty much be spending your time there

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom