Leather Seat Care Help...

Associate
OP
Noice...

images

Soldato
Wow, gratz on getting a bargain!

I had a similar problem, not that bad mind; try Dr Leather wipes, though I would apply a grime remover like Poor boy's on a small area first, leave for about 5 mins then wipe.

You could also try magic home eraser from homebase, don't mock it till you try it, and even if it doesn't work it does magic to your steering wheel.

Gliptone is what it is, a cheap product worth a punt!

Remember, shiny leather is dirty leather! Prefer the matte look.

Associate
OP
Very subjective I guess. I like it, but dont know if I can be arsed with the expense and complexity (bumper has to come off)

I'll focus on enjoying the car first - when I get it. In other news, Turtle Wax Leather Cream was on offer in Tesco so got a bottle of that to try first.

Soldato
Very subjective I guess. I like it, but dont know if I can be arsed with the expense and complexity (bumper has to come off)

I'll focus on enjoying the car first - when I get it. In other news, Turtle Wax Leather Cream was on offer in Tesco so got a bottle of that to try first.

It's a generic german bumper.

Generic bolts on top
Generic bolts on bottom
Generic arch liners

Don't overestimate how difficult it is. Removing bumpers are actually very easy.

Associate
Dr Leather Wipes.

I tend to avoid conditioners as most leather in cars is 'coated' and applying conditioners just sits on the leather rather than being absorbed, this then means dirt just sits on top of the leather and thats what gives the 'shiny' look.

Modern leather seats just need to be cleaned once a month depending on usage, no conditioners.

Associate
OP
How'd you get on OP?

Dont get the car for another 2 weeks, but had a test run on the leather suite with the cheap Turtlewax Leather Cream I got in Tesco in the sale. Its done the couch wonders thats for sure.

Been reading up on agitating the leather with a brush, little apprehensive about that. I am wondering also if the steering wheel would benefit too?

Some very good suggestions in this thread :)

Soldato
I spent a while on my steering wheel, S Line MFSW - Wiped down, used Dr Leather wipes then the magic eraser, then wipe with a microfibre cloth. This left a nice matte finish.

Every other week the eraser and cloth keeps it in good condition.

Love them Recaro's, snug fit for a fitting car!

Associate
OP
I spent a while on my steering wheel, S Line MFSW - Wiped down, used Dr Leather wipes then the magic eraser, then wipe with a microfibre cloth. This left a nice matte finish.

Every other week the eraser and cloth keeps it in good condition.

Love them Recaro's, snug fit for a fitting car!

Would you be kind enough to link me to these magic erasers please? You have me sold :)

As Ive always had used cars, it only occured to me recently that a steering wheel should not be shiny, but matte!

Soldato
I use Meguires Leather cleaner and condition with one of these Magic erasers first to get the majority of the dirt out and they work a treat!

IIRC magic erasers are bad for leather. I'm sure I remember that Fox's E39 steering wheel ended up being retrimmed after he had a go at it with one and it ruining the finish with it.

Steering wheels go shiny due to absorbing oils and grease from people's hands. You will get a matte finish with soap and water as well as you would with a magic eraser, but within a week or so it will start going shiny once the absorbed oils start to re-permeate the surface of the leather.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom