leaving a car standing for 6 months

Soldato
Trickle Charger, make sure all tyres are pumped up and if possible turn it over once and a while so the oil doesn't all drain from engine (if you can't then so be it if it's literally leaving it stantionary none runner). Petrol will be fine though and get the thing covered as leaving cars in the open to elements, they do not like, bird crap, sap off trees etc. That's all I have.

Permabanned
OP
Trickle Charger, make sure all tyres are pumped up and if possible turn it over once and a while so the oil doesn't all drain from engine (if you can't then so be it if it's literally leaving it stantionary none runner). Petrol will be fine though and get the thing covered as leaving cars in the open to elements, they do not like, bird crap, sap off trees etc. That's all I have.

hmmm yes already have a trickle charger, its a diesel.
was going to buy a car cover too.
handbrake off and wheels chocked?

Soldato
For that amount of time, no need to start it if you aren't going to drive it somewhere, and as mentioned keep the battery topped up so you don't have to buy a new one in 6 months.

Soldato
Driving it once a week even for 10-15 mins helps a lot! Fluids get used & oil circulates as a minimum keeping the engine & mechanicals within working parameters.

Without doing that in 6 months expect some hassle finding out which oils seals might need replacing & many other niggly little electrical things due to rust (air rusts several items usually brake region components especially but also other parts used to running warm start to rust when not used unless you grease them up) & lack of use. If its really not practical to use consider selling now while its still worth something as garage queens can cause a lot of hassle & expense its not like its an exotic supercar you could easily get another in 6 months!

Neighbour of mine has not used his car for 2 months now due to getting nicked by the police for a serious driving offense.....I can clearly see mold residue inside the vehicle spreading every few days inside to the carpets & windows looks like it rusting from the inside out due to sitting there on the forecourt :eek:

Soldato
Will you be around or is the car just being left? If you can I'd roll it backwards / forwards occasionally to avoid flat spots on the tyres. Also helps with the brakes and definitely make sure the handbrake is off!

When you say you have a trickle charger, are you planning on removing the battery or charging it on the car. I'd be inclined to bring the battery in and not bother starting the car for the whole duration of the time it is parked up. Also, if possible, I'd run the tank low and give it a fresh tank when you start using it again. This last point is far from essential and I never end up doing so myself as I always plan one last trip in my MX5 every summer that never ends up happening!

Back
Top Bottom