DELETED_250507

Soldato
Hello,

Newbie here!
I just wanted some advice on a problem I have.

I very recently started a new job, this will be my second week. I already know that it's not for me, my gutis telling me it's just not right. Plus, I am a carer for my Mum, and with the new job, the hours aren't really suitable (I thought I could manage but it's turning out I can't). It's also quite a distance away from home so, because my Mum struggles with mental illness, I think she is starting to feel isolated and panicky that I'm not close by, as I have been in previous jobs, which in turn, is a worry for me.

I have seen another job advertised which is much closer to the field I'm interested in (at the moment I'm in customer services). This other job is also much closer to home (10 minute drive as opposed to the 45min drive I'm currently facing) and offers 3 days working from home.

I'm still in my probationary period with the customer service job, so would it be stupid of me to apply for the other job?

If I were to apply, I'm unsure how I go about it. Do I tell my employer I'm applying? Should I wait to see if I get an interview first? Should I mention in the interview I'm leaving a job after only a few weeks?

As I wouldn't know either employer that well, I don't know how comfortable I'd feel speaking about my Mum's problems, and I don't want to sound like I'm playing for sympathy in an interview by bringing it up either.

I don't know what to do for the best. I feel like I jumped into this job without really thinking, because I'd been without a job and money for a while due to Covid and I'd have a few prior rejections.

Also, the job I'm currently in isn't the one I actually applied for. I applied for a whole different position (a more artistic/creative role) but I failed the interview, so my CV was passed to the customer service department and I was called and asked if I'd be interested in that role instead; without really much thought, I said yes.

So yeah, bit of a situation I'm in right now.
Apologies for the essay, and thanks in advance! Any advice appreciated.

AJ.

(Sorry if I've posted in the wrong section, I'm still figuring this thing out)
Take @dLockers advice. Probation works both ways.

Soldato
Hi Andrea, something tells me you’re an Andrea, as dlockers says, apply for new job and if you get it then just tell current employer nice and politely kthnxbye. Job done, excuse the pun.

Soldato
Jsut dont sign anything that locks you in, some companies can be scumbags, that even with probation you cant look for work in similar fields etc.

Soldato
I've never actually been in this sort of situation as I haven't been graduated from Uni long, so yeah I'm young and wanting a bit of help. So thanks for your valuable contribution.
See how you received good advice from folk but you chose to be aggy with the folk throwing stones? Yeah, that's a bad personality trait.

Soldato
See how you received good advice from folk but you chose to be aggy with the folk throwing stones? Yeah, that's a bad personality trait.

If responding to them is a bad personality trait, what do you think of the people needlessly being aggravational in the first place?

Last edited:
Soldato
Thank you. Glad someone is able to answer me like I'm am actual person.

Would you suggest mentioning in the interview (if I get one) about still being in a probationary period and wanting to leave so soon? I don't want to come across as fickle or unreliable lol.
Yes, be honest in the interview. Also, don’t tell them you’re a Karen. No one likes a Karen.

Associate
@SheIsAJ

Apply for new job -> Get offer -> Tell current employer it didn't work out.

Do this, don't mention it to the current employer until you get an offer (if you need to take time off for the interview then you could either be upfront about it or just call in 'sick', as if you don't get it, being upfront may cause friction with current employer).
If they new role ask in the interview about current situation, say "the distance is causing me more issues than anticipated" actually just say it's closer and would work better for you, if you don't want to mention your mother's health needs.
If the current role ask why you are leaving so soon, just be upfront: "I appreciate the opportunity but it's not working out for me in terms of how it fits in to my life" they shouldn't have any issue with that and if they do, it's on them and not you (especially as it's a lower role than the one you applied for!), you don't 'owe' them anything beyond that.

Regarding the rest of the thread, I have no idea why @Thekwango assumed your name to be Andrea, maybe it's an old in-joke that I missed, but you could have just ignored it and carried on with the discussion, instead your response seemed indignant and defensive, as did some of your further responses in this thread.
I'm not trying to have a go, but many of the users here are a bit older (and hence can be a bit blunt) and we have had a recent influx of new posters with some rather bizarre/common sense questions (as @Malevolence referenced) on what is, ostensibly at least, a computer hardware forum!

Best of luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom