Leaving a job, then immediately looking for new job?

Soldato
As above,

To be clearer, me and gf relocating to Manchester, had enough of York and it's tinyness.

I can get a job confidently and move, by november, but the gf maybe not.

If my GF left her job, and started looking for jobs proper quickly when she is over there, would not been in employment, literally for less than a month be any detriment to obtaining a job? I myself can't see an issue, it'd be obvious to an employee why they're not in work wouldn't it?

Thoughts?

Soldato
Being out of work for a short time is no issue to an employer if it is obvious why. Changing job because you are moving away is a perfectly normal.

The question is, why doesn't your girlfriend look for work BEFORE you move?

Associate
Doesn't sound like you are in much pressure to move immediately - I'd hold off until she has a job offer.
More for her benefit - it's much nicer searching for a job when you still have one.

Soldato
OP
I can move with my job at Network Rail then find a secondment, and some of the jobs I've found start in November hence why we might have to move November, I could commute but daily that'd be £28.60 which is insane!

Soldato
November is two months away. That gives her a month to find somewhere and then a months notice to give. Peasy.

Or alternatively she may as well hand in her notice now. Finding a job in two months should be do-able.

Man of Honour
We see a fair few people who've moved and looking for a new job its not a problem at all unless their CV shows they move around a lot in which case they'd be lower down on the list for consideration if it seemed like they'd be there a few months or a year before highly likely moving on again.

Man of Honour
As above,

To be clearer, me and gf relocating to Manchester, had enough of York and it's tinyness.

I can get a job confidently and move, by november, but the gf maybe not.

If my GF left her job, and started looking for jobs proper quickly when she is over there, would not been in employment, literally for less than a month be any detriment to obtaining a job? I myself can't see an issue, it'd be obvious to an employee why they're not in work wouldn't it?

Thoughts?

Ugh. *waves goodbye to his Strava top 10 segments* :(

Caporegime
You don't say what she does OP? Why is she not already applying for jobs? If she's salaried and in the private sector then it is likely better she finds a job while she is still working as she's in a better position to negotiate the salary, bearing in mind that whatever you negotiate carries forwards over each year you're working there so it isn't just an extra 5k but an extra 5k for every year worked there and a higher base from which to get your % rise each year and/or from which to negotiate from when moving to another job where the HR department might only be prepared to offer say 20% of what you're currently earning.

Associate
I can move with my job at Network Rail then find a secondment, and some of the jobs I've found start in November hence why we might have to move November, I could commute but daily that'd be £28.60 which is insane!
Assuming 5 days that's £143pw commuting which I'm confident is less than you would lose if your GF stops working.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

If you're worried about gaps on an employment record just put "self employed whatever".

Back
Top Bottom