Leaving a long term job - be upfront or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
I'm not a newbie to OCUK but I've no idea if anyone I work with knows my usual posting name, so just covering my tracks a little.

Anyway, I've come to the decision I need to find a new challenge work-wise. The big factor is I've had one job for over 20 years now (in IT) and always had the same boss :eek:

Now Mrs Mole thinks I should be upfront with my boss and tell him I'm looking for something new. I do have a good working relationship with my boss and he generally lets me get on with things, so perhaps honesty is the best policy. I would note Mrs Mole is public sector which might influence her thoughts (I'm private).

There are a couple of positions I'm very interested in at present but they might not come off. I am being picky over what I'd apply for (for now at least!), so it could be next year before the right job lands and it's offered to me. If that happens, I can almost see a weekly question from the boss asking if I'm leaving yet. I don't think it would do much good within my team if they knew and if I'm still there in six months or more, makes me look like I'm too fussy, have too high expectations or rubbish at interviews - I almost undermine myself.

I'm not sure there is a right answer here, but I'm very interested to hear if other OCUKers would keep quiet or be up front after so long with one (small) company...

Cheers!

Soldato
Don't tell anyone you're planning on moving on unless you have a contract in your hand ready to sign, as you said it will be awkward with the rest of your team if you are saying you are planning to leave, but don't have anything to go to. You're almost saying you don't want to work with them, rather than you want a new challenge. You can afford to be picky if work is steady and safe, but relationships can be strained if you tell them you're looking elsewhere. Hypothetically would you tell someone you're dating that you're looking elsewhere while still dating them?

Caporegime
I wouldn't if you've not even got a job offer, especially if you don't even know when you might leave.

I did once get burned giving my boss a heads up when I was a few months away from leaving, I thought I was doing him a favour, he then decided I didn't then need a bonus that year (which I guess is technically right as they're discretionary and essentially for retention - by not paying me one there is a bigger pool left to distribute to the rest of the team).

If you do find yourself in a situation where you've got an offer and you're due to start at some date further away than your current notice period then maybe it is worth giving your boss an advanced heads up (but as per my lesson learned above - don't bother doing them any favours if there is any annual bonus due, schoolboy error on my part, get that sort of thing locked in first)

Caporegime
Agree with most of the sentiment above. By all means tell your boss of your discontent and boredom with your current role but under no circumstances mention you're considering leaving. Doing so can be seen as a personal slight by some poor bosses and by others as an indication they themselves need to stop fighting your corner or believing in you. You're also not likely to be considered for any new projects, work etc. Keep schtum until you have a signed job offer in front of you.

Soldato
You don't gain anything from telling them you're looking elsewhere.

Tell them what things you aren't happy about and what you would like to change, but don't say you're looking to leave.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Please don't create a duplicate account. Post the thread using your main account please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom