Leaving eggs out of the fridge

Soldato
I took 3 eggs out of the fridge last night to get to room temperature for some baking, but never used them. I read it's dangerous and a nono to use eggs that have been out of the fridge for more than 2 hours. What say ye, throw them?

They're also dated best before 19th September. That doesn't normally worry me, I use eggs until they float to the top of a glass of water. But being left out of the fridge adds to the riskiness.

Soldato
There's no need to keep eggs in the fridge. I don't. Ever.

If the float they're off. You can also tell how far they're gone by shaking them. The more you can feel the yolk move, if at all, the less fresh they are.

Soldato
Keep them in or out of the fridge. You do reduce the life by keeping changing temperatures, though, they like it kept stable.

We keep ours in the fridge only because we've quite a small kitchen but quite a large fridge. And we get them by the tray (30) as my father in law farms them.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies. What I'm concerned about is that they've been refrigerated, not bought and kept at room temperature without ever going in the fridge. I found this,

'After an egg is refrigerated, it must be kept at that temperature. "A cold egg left out at room temperature can sweat, facilitating the growth of bacteria that could contaminate the egg," according to the United Egg Producers association. "Refrigerated eggs should not be left out more than two hours."

So even if the eggs don't float to give me a clue that they're off, maybe they're still bad to eat?

Soldato
OP
This is how they are in water. Not floated to the top, but big end up.

20190923-184639.jpg

20190923-184644.jpg

Soldato
OP
Big end up means they’re not totally fresh, but perfectly safe to eat. When they’re on their side is when they’re fresh.

Indeed. But the thing that makes eggs change how they sit in water or completely float to the top is simply air getting into the porous shell. Given that the BB on that egg is 19th September, i.e, 4 days past it, that's exactly how I'd expect that egg to sit. But what that quote I linked says is that from cold to warm can cause sweating and contamination, which I take to be different criteria from just air getting in.

Soldato
When on holiday with another family, I had a running battle over keeping the butter out of the fridge.

Butter needs to be room temp, or it's basically useless. He was concerned that it would go rancid, I was concerned I couldn't make my sandwiches :D

I know I was right, but it amazes me that someone would make their life so difficult as to be having to use solid, refrigerated butter all the time.

Back
Top Bottom