Leaving plugs on, is it bad?

Soldato
Hey folks...

I have just downloaded a timer that shuts my PC off at a scheduled time, I just wondered... Is it bad to leave the plugs on overnight?

I leave my router connected all night on, but it has its own plug socket, also my tv/sky/dvd etc is always on standby.

The computer is connected to a surge protected 6 plug thing, which has a music instrument and PC monitor connected to also.

I always shutdown the PC of a night before bed, and turn that plug off at the wall, is it absolutely neccasary to do that?

I was thinking I could just turn the monitor off, and have the pc shutdown when its scheduled to, surely thats not using any power when its off?

Man of Honour
SeanyK said:
I was thinking I could just turn the monitor off, and have the pc shutdown when its scheduled to, surely thats not using any power when its off?

Your PC is never truelly off uneless the plugs off, the MB is powerered, be it in a very low power state.

There are two sides to the coin, you are using more electricity then you realise keeping all your appliances on standby, but by turning them on and off, you're reducing their life by giving them power spikes.

So it all depends what you prefer.

Burnsy

Soldato
Most of the wear and tear is from turning it on and off.

I used to live in a place where I'd flick the trip switch at the electricity meter off every time I went out. Everything totally off then, that was more to do with bad wiring and people using it for free.

I guess you could argue safety, didnt one person on here have a graphics card set itself on fire. A better psu is usually the best bet though

Man of Honour
Burly said:
That sounds a bit stupid. Source?

It's common knowledge for anyone who knows anything about elctronics, the theory is, that when you turn an appliance on, the coils in the transformers need to charge, the initial power spike can be huge, but only lasts for a fraction of a second. Repeated spikes will inevitably cause damage to the power smoothing and rectification circuits on standard electronic apppliances.

Burnsy

Soldato
iCraig said:
:\

What about alarm clocks, timers, set-top boxes etc? Isn't it a pain to set all those again when you get home?

Most of my clocks are either battery operated radio controlled ones, Oven i dont care about and cheapo microwave hasnt got one!

Freeview doesnt reset itself luckily so doesnt rescan when it loses power.

The Big Switch in the Fuse Box is right next to the bedroom so its easy access!

Josh

Back
Top Bottom