LED Bulbs in Halogen Lights

Soldato
I understood that there was a minimum lumen requirement for washers and a rare few cars with HIDs fell below this.
yes
The pistonheads thread is interesting suggesting
legally LED>2000 lumens need washers/self-levelling (sealed units excepted) - is that because it is dirt that gives undesired beam deflection ?
Philips Ultinon aftermarket were not ce qualified sep17 - are there any aftermarket bulbs that are ?
The H4 comparison video shows how much light actually comes out despite these 6000/10000 lumens claims -lol

Associate
I understood that there was a minimum lumen requirement for washers and a rare few cars with HIDs fell below this.

Interesting. I wonder which cars they were? I remember when HIds first cam rout and I was super jealous of anyone whose car had them.

Associate
Porsche Cayman is one example I found.

It appears that many owners of these are unhappy as well!

It would seem that on the standard boxster Porsche provide the Bi-Xenon lights in the UK as standard. But to save pennies, they have found a way of providing these lights with NO headlamp washer and that has resulted in a 25 watt arrangement to make them legal, as opposed to a 35 or even 55 watt package, as found in normal high wattage Bi-Xenon lights.

The net result is a low output and dim light. Its almost ok in dry conditions, but on wet and shiny roads, normal xenon lights just light up the road and these are completely lost

The bulbs are a DLS variety and no one makes an upgraded bulb yet !

Soldato
OP
No retrofit LED bulbs are. You would have to replace the whole unit for a proper LED one.

Regardless of that being true or not though, it's not checked at MOT, which is why you've never had any issues with LED bulbs at MOT - it's not because your tester doesn't care, it's because the MOT doesn't care.

Headlamps are the only place they're specifically mentioned and that only changed 2 days ago.

Soldato
Regardless of that being true or not though, it's not checked at MOT, which is why you've never had any issues with LED bulbs at MOT - it's not because your tester doesn't care, it's because the MOT doesn't care.

Headlamps are the only place they're specifically mentioned and that only changed 2 days ago.

But E marks apply to every external bulb. It should fail but it wont.

Soldato
OP
But E marks apply to every external bulb. It should fail but it wont.

MOTs don't check for E Marks and none of the test criteria require any bulbs except the headlights to be checked for being the 'incorrect type' that I can see?

There's no reason an LED sidelight, as per your original example, should fail an MOT.

That's not necessarily the same thing as being road legal or not.

Soldato
If mot regulations are more stringent will Insurance companies follow suit "modded/illegal lights that won't do nicely sir, 3rd party's only"

Back
Top Bottom