LED headlamps

Soldato
I would as anything running halogen lights on a modern car looks wrong (that is my opinion).

Both of our Leons have LED lights and they are very good, look good on the car and really light up the road ahead

Associate
Echoing the above comments, go for it. Didn't actually know you could get leds on the Fiesta.

Is the standard Fiesta halogen or xenon? If it's halogen then you'd be mad not to. If it's xenon then the difference is less but they're still very impressive and look more modern.

Soldato
Echoing the above comments, go for it. Didn't actually know you could get leds on the Fiesta.

Is the standard Fiesta halogen or xenon? If it's halogen then you'd be mad not to. If it's xenon then the difference is less but they're still very impressive and look more modern.

Halogen iirc on the Fiesta. I drive a lot in the dark over Winter (as do most people I imagine) down unlit A/B roads so it'll definitely be an upgrade I choose on my next car. But they are £600 I think as an option.

Mobster
Soldato
OP
I've basically added every extra, it's my second car so want something with all the bells and whistles haha, I'm a software engineer by trade so like to have lots of toys to play with :p

Think I will add them then, any advice on getting a decent deal? Went into a dealer yesterday and the price they gave is pretty poor. I've got a better deal on the Titanium X (they only offered the Titanium) via CarWow, with all my specs added. Still around £19,500 though. Do you think I can do better than this?

Soldato
I've basically added every extra, it's my second car so want something with all the bells and whistles haha, I'm a software engineer by trade so like to have lots of toys to play with :p

Think I will add them then, any advice on getting a decent deal? Went into a dealer yesterday and the price they gave is pretty poor. I've got a better deal on the Titanium X (they only offered the Titanium) via CarWow, with all my specs added. Still around £19,500 though. Do you think I can do better than this?

I think it's because it has just been released, prices won't have much leeway I suspect.

Soldato
If it was £500 extra over xenons, probably not.

But the halogens on my Fiesta ST weren't amazing (partly because the OEM bulbs were terrible). So worth it IMO.

Last edited:
Associate

If you are spending that sort of money have you looked at the new Polo GTI plus? They are that price on DTD with a lot of gadgets (as standard), a faster engine and stronger residuals.

Soldato
Compared to halogens, it's a no-brainer, but compared to Xenons it's not quite so clear cut. Sometimes a good Xenon system will equal or outperform a cheap/poor LED system and I suspect some LED implementations are a bit of an afterthought because it looks cool and sells cars.

Soldato
To quote myself from another thread.

Since experiencing LED headlights (VAG), I've come to the conclusion that I do not like them. There is such a thing as having too bright dipped headlights. They're so bright with such a sharp cut off that I find it's actually worse for visibility.
Not just because of the brightness and the cut-off of your own lights, but the brightness of others around. Your eyes are adjusted to the bright light and I am adamant that this impairs your vision at night.

Main/High beam is extraordinary though. Maybe I would like to see a regulation on lumen output on dipped. Or bring back yellow lights.

The Audi Matrix is apparently pretty good. But again, this isn't helping other drivers.

Not sure we'll pay the extra for them in the future to be honest.

Caporegime
Even that new Jaguar IPace has 3 different types of LED headlamps! Ridiculous price gouging IMO

Standard
Full-LED headlights are designed to last the lifetime of the vehicle and are more fuel-efficient as they use less energy. The quality of light produced is closer to daylight conditions, so driving at night becomes less tiring.

Premium
Premium LED headlights feature the distinct exterior graphic of the Signature Daytime Running Lights and twice as many LEDs as the standard unit. This increases the light output so you can see even better in the dark.

Matrix LED headlights with signature DRL
Matrix LED headlights enable an adaptive driving beam. By splitting the main beam into vertical strips, the adaptive beam maximises the number of high beam sections around oncoming traffic for ultimate visibility, whilst casting a shadow in front of oncoming vehicles to prevent dazzling. The adaptive beam is also able to optimise the light distribution to suit the driving conditions of town, country, motorway or bad weather. Front and rear Animated Directional Indicators, which reduce the time it takes other road users to recognise the intended direction of travel, are included with Matrix headlights.

Soldato
Soldato
Matrix LED in audi are amazing, I think my dad has yet to be flashed when using them. May be a bit sad but I do just watch them whilst driving working their magic and they are seriously impressive. And this is on a 2015 car so I can only assume they have got better

Soldato
The pixel ones on the new Range Rover are something else, 144 I think so it has opportunity to on/off a grid of lights plus the laser which only works above 50mph when nothing is around.

I’ve never seen anything light up an area like those before when I drove a Velar with it. #portablesun

Soldato
Soldato
The pixel ones on the new Range Rover are something else, 144 I think so it has opportunity to on/off a grid of lights plus the laser which only works above 50mph when nothing is around.

I’ve never seen anything light up an area like those before when I drove a Velar with it. #portablesun
Think the new A8 has something similar to this and some BMW although I thought that the lasers were for low speed situations?

Back
Top Bottom