LED Lights for back of TV

Associate
Hi

I'm after some LED Lights which i can put on the back of my TV & have them react to the image on the screen. I just wondered if anybody could recommend some ? I don't want to spend hundreds because i realise it is a bit gimmicky.

Many Thanks

Soldato
Govee do a set that uses a small camera you mount below the TV. I've seen mixed reviews, some have said it works quite convincingly whereas others say it sometimes gets confused between what's on screen and ambient/room lighting, and the delay can be distracting. Worth a look though.

Soldato
I've tried the Govee and sent it back after 1 day, colour accuracy was terrible, and the camera sticks out like a sore thumb. I now have a Hue gradient strip and it is so much better.

However it is significantly more expensive, especially if you need the sync box and hue Bridge as well (looking at total £400+).

I managed to pick up a cheap bridge, and only use it for my PC, so use the sync app on there instead of buying the HDMI box, this makes it much cheaper, but obviously doesn't allow it to work with sky etc.

Soldato
If your TV has a USB port, you could try the Aquasuite RGBpx lights run through a Farbwerk Nano.
Not sure if it will react to the TV as that may be PCs only, but at the least you should be able to run basic coloured lights and any patterns - The simple programming/config is done through Aquasuite on your PC (comes free with your purchase) but stored on the Farbwerk itself, which is then powered off the USB. No PC needed.
You have 4 different profiles to switch between with the single button, too, so load it up.

Total cost was just over £70, when I last bought one about a year ago.
Includes 4 LED strips, Farbwerk and some cables.

Associate
Hi

I'm after some LED Lights which i can put on the back of my TV & have them react to the image on the screen. I just wondered if anybody could recommend some ? I don't want to spend hundreds because i realise it is a bit gimmicky.

Many Thanks

What is the source? TV apps or external like an Apple TV?

Soldato
Earlier this week I setup a Philips Hue Gradient Strip/Sync Box on my set but as you've no doubt noticed, it is an expensive solution but one that properly works. I'd been meaning to do this since last year but the IC chip shortage has really hit Philips hue stock supply so their newer products just aren't stocked well so little in the way of sales.

Messing around with gradient colours
mv3Jvae.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lHfpd62.mp4 - Short but crappy video with an untweaked setup with my iPhone having a fit.

Have you looked at the Lytmi Neo? It seems to replicate what the Hue setups can do for much cheaper, which has me suspicious (it has the famous word 'Upgraded' in the description) that this is another Govee type of experience but I haven't looked into it I admit.
https://ilytmi.com/products/lightmi-neo-sync-light-strip-kit

Soldato
Earlier this week I setup a Philips Hue Gradient Strip/Sync Box on my set but as you've no doubt noticed, it is an expensive solution but one that properly works. I'd been meaning to do this since last year but the IC chip shortage has really hit Philips hue stock supply so their newer products just aren't stocked well so little in the way of sales.

Messing around with gradient colours
mv3Jvae.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lHfpd62.mp4 - Short but crappy video with an untweaked setup with my iPhone having a fit.

Have you looked at the Lytmi Neo? It seems to replicate what the Hue setups can do for much cheaper, which has me suspicious (it has the famous word 'Upgraded' in the description) that this is another Govee type of experience but I haven't looked into it I admit.
https://ilytmi.com/products/lightmi-neo-sync-light-strip-kit

The software to do the colour matching can be done on something as basic as a rpi. It's the lighting strips where "cheap" becomes obvious with poor colour selections and brightness/vibrant'ness.

Associate
Have done the same with a intel Nuc and jeelight using yeelight bulbs. A lot cheaper, but will only work on media going through the Nuc

Soldato
The software to do the colour matching can be done on something as basic as a rpi. It's the lighting strips where "cheap" becomes obvious with poor colour selections and brightness/vibrant'ness.
Except not everyone has time on their hands to do all that, and then to ensure it integrates with your chosen smart home system. You've also got a lot more cabling to deal with too.

Associate
Through many, many hours of research and experimentation I found the best solution for me is a HDFury Diva. This has its own LED ambient light control built in, but you have to use their own LED strip. This is what I use with external sources (Xbox series X, Apple TV through a Denon AVR) on a Sony 65 XH950.

I tried a RPi solution with Hyperion. Works great if you don't want to have Dolby Vision/HDR in the chain but gets complicated around splitting the HDMI signal when DV is present as at the time of me building my system the only splitter that could do it properly was a Diva (this may have changed in the last year so feel free to correct me). I must have tried 10 different splitters claiming they could manage DV.
  • If you are not bothered about DV and HDR then a RPi solution is pretty good with external sources. It takes a little time to setup but its a great little project. I'm using mine on my PC for ambient and reactive light.
  • If you want just TV based apps then its either a new Philips Ambilight TV or an external camera setup.
  • If you want a setup that works with some eternal sources except bluray players a Philips Hue Syncbox may be of use (read here and the comments about players). The Hue kit is probably the most flexible around other light related products.
  • If you want something that works all the time with any source then its a Diva setup. This will also produce the most accurate colours out of the box. Its also the fastest as there is no lag with the reactive lighting.
  • New Contender: Lytmi Neo Sync Box - I have not tried this but it does look like it can handle DV and HDR according to the details. Search YouTube for demos. Early version seem to have a little lag though.
Just a note on HDMI splitters - when I was playing around with this about a year ago there were no cheap solutions for DV splitting. This may have changed but I haven't done a recent check.

For me the reactive lighting does enhance the viewing experience and looks incredible when gaming. My setup is expensive for what it is but it just works.

Soldato
I created this, just this week. It uses a Rpi 3, Hyperion, a HDMI splitter and video capture card and some programmable leds.

Not sure if I'm overly struck on it. It does work well and in the dark its cool.
Also there is no bezel at the bottom so the Leds sit to flush to the wall, which doesn't allow it to glow as well. Not a problem of the system but of the shortcomings of the TV.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just be careful if you stick the LEDs directly to the back of the TV, they get quite hot and I know some people have had issues with them due to that. Usually you want to have them on something separate and just behind the TV.

Soldato
Melt the TV or burn the wallpaper?
My TV is about half an inch off the wall so nothing to put them on really. I could stick them to the wall rather than the back of the TV. It's just brick..

Back
Top Bottom