Led security lights with sensors

Associate
Hi,

As i know you guys are a very knowledgeable about electronic devices. So couldnt think of a better place to ask the question.

So im after a 20w or 30w led security light with pir sensor. Its outside and I need 2 of them. I did order some Samhue ones from amazon but cancelled the order because people were saying after some rain they stopped working.

What make would you guys suggest?
Has to be a reasonable budget too.

Many thanks and look forward to seeing some replys

Soldato
I replaced my halogen with an LED from Screwfix recently, I was sceptical based on it being £7 but a whole heap of postive reviews pursuaded me.

ugacvQ6l.jpg

Does the trick at 15w~ ...

yzKwAcJl.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
They are great however the poorly coated bracket wont last at all and is always the issue with low priced ones :(

Ahh, that's interesting. I'll see how it fares. Was definitely on some sort of offer, quality seemed fine/good. A replacement bracket when required won't be a bank breaker :)

Soldato
I will be watching this thread with interest as I need to order 3 for the house.

Current favourite and the ones I currently plan to get at the weekend are the Aurora Enlite Helius. I've been hugely impressed with their indoor bulbs, they are a huge lighting company and are one of the very few branded outside lights that claim to be ip65 as opposed to most being ip44 i.e. not really water proof.

30W version: https://www.alertelectrical.com/aurora-enlite-helius-pir-30w-adjustable-ip65-led-floodlight.html

Soldato
I replaced my halogen with an LED from Screwfix recently, I was sceptical based on it being £7 but a whole heap of postive reviews pursuaded me.

ugacvQ6l.jpg

Does the trick at 15w~ ...

yzKwAcJl.jpg

funnily enough I have the exact same light and it is decent enough for the price but the best thing about it?

you know most of these lights only turn on when someone moves, in some examples you want and need the light to be on for a period and not be intermittent. check this exact model but if you turn it on and off twice it actually stays on. pretty cool that

Soldato
funnily enough I have the exact same light and it is decent enough for the price but the best thing about it?

you know most of these lights only turn on when someone moves, in some examples you want and need the light to be on for a period and not be intermittent. check this exact model but if you turn it on and off twice it actually stays on. pretty cool that

Did. not. know. Thanks! :)

Associate
OP
Because I already have the cabling installed from old halogen lights I'm thinking it would be easier and better to connect it to the wires already exposed rather than most lights you have to join it to a cable as they come pre installed with a short cable fitted.

I'v been looking at these

http://www.discount-electrical.co.u..._E0OEz7mcYyWG0Y4UjlxV1VpFUQy-j_xoCJD4QAvD_BwE

What are people's opinions on these?

Associate
Electrician here. Nothing is built to last anymore. Whether you spend £15 or £150 on a light it WILL break eventually. Don't sweat on the product too much.

A previous poster did mention the bracket. That's a key area for corrosion as it usually flakes away as soon as you tighten the screws and bolts to it.

The PIR will break down before the LED lamp goes.

Associate
OP
http://www.timeguard.com/products/l...twin-8w-led-energy-saver-pir-floodlight-white

These. They do a bigger (or smaller) version too. They are small in size, all plastic so dont rot and just work. I've lost count of how many I've fitted over the years and they just don't fail. Not the cheapest but worth it.

Managed to get one of these that you suggested... was easy to install and works great also got it for a good price... fitted today.

One question i do have is about the little cap thing that goes on the PIR - What's it actually for??? Just seems to not be very sensitive with it fitted and works much better without it on.

Back
Top Bottom