Legal system at it's best...

Associate
20090410-dbqjunnxwekusbww3w63epimnd.jpg

Associate
The duty solicitor I would guess, the one that you normally get to speak to in police custody and end up in the magistrates not all that long after.
The first court appearance after charge is for remand or bail and I would suggest no solicitor would advise a guilty plea at that stage until they have had a chance to look at the evidence and construct a defense.

Soldato
OP
As a Lay Magistrate I only wish the judicial system worked that quickly. There is no way that the time scale is correct. Someone is telling porkies

So you're saying there is no way she could 'appear' the day after the infraction and plead guilty?

ps: I'm relaying as accurately as possible what I've been told. And my colleague is an honest individual who would not lie. He himself is completely taken aback by the events and threatening to write to MPs and the like over it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
So you're saying there is no way she could 'appear' the day after the infraction and plead guilty?

ps: I'm relaying as accurately as possible what I've been told. And my colleague is an honest individual who would not lie. He himself is completely taken aback by the events and threatening to write to MPs and the like over it.

I am not doubting your account Neil, but I am doubting the version of events you have been told.

As for his MP, I would put pen to paper straight away if he insists what happened is true.

Soldato
OP
I am not doubting your account Neil, but I am doubting the version of events you have been told.

As for his MP, I would put pen to paper straight away if he insists what happened is true.

Well, I've talked a fair amount about it to my colleague... So I'm fairly sure of the facts. I don't believe anything to be untrue.

I'm suggesting he even calls 'The Mail'. They love stuff like this!!

It will also be interesting to see what her embassy achieves...

Last edited:
Associate

I have never heard of it during 5 years on the bench. If we decided to hear the case, accept a guilty plea and listen to a statement in mitigation, the result would be an adjournment for a pre-sentence report. As has been pointed out as English was not the defendants first language, an interpreter would be needed.

Associate
A friend at work has a nanny who looks after their four children some days. Last wednesday she went to a cash point to withdraw her rent for her landlord (£500).

Soon after this she noticed she was being jossled and bussled by two women, and they tried to steal her money. She put up a fight and managed to deck one of them by using the mobile phone in her hand. The other managed to get away with her money.

The police turned up and took the nanny and the other thief back to the station. As the thief had been injured in the 'fight', they asked if she wished to press charges, which she said yes to.

The nanny spent the rest of the day in a cell and was let out in the evening understanding it was a closed case - all done!

Next morning she got a call from the station saying she had to go in. On arriving she was informed she had been appointed a lawyer and was appearing in court. Obviously she was still very upset from the day before, yet alone the idea of now appearing in court on a charge of assault, and further more English is a second language for her. The lawyer told her to just plead guilty, which she did...

She now has a criminal record (not good for a nanny), a £250 fine, and is a months rent down.

The thieves have £500, and big smiles on their faces.

that's not the legal system per se

If someone had told her to plead innocent and lodge a counterclaim of assault and theft, the cops would have had to follow it all up, hitting someone with something to hand is justifiable in the heat of the moment, and can be counted under self defence, i'd be willing to stand up in court and defend myself on that point, so any new wet behind the ears lawyer should be capable of same....

Police have been lazy, and the court of appeal is there for a reason, if that is the case she should go back, and ensure that her witness statement from the day is correct and true to the best of her knowledge, lodge an appeal, and deal with it...

Soldato

Chinese whispers and all that.

Soldato
OP
I have never heard of it during 5 years on the bench. If we decided to hear the case, accept a guilty plea and listen to a statement in mitigation, the result would be an adjournment for a pre-sentence report. As has been pointed out as English was not the defendants first language, an interpreter would be needed.

Thanks... So are you saying it is just not possible, or just that you have not witnessed it.

If it's the former that I'll ask my colleague about it...

My take on it is the police just wanted it out of the way, the solicitor probably just wanted it out of the way, and every one just ticked the boxes to get the job done asap?

I was stunned when I heard it had been turned around so quickly - I thought it took ages...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Well, I've talked a fair amount about it to my colleague... So I'm fairly sure of the facts. I don't believe anything to be untrue.

I'm suggesting he even calls 'The Mail'. They love stuff like this!!

It will also be interesting to see what her embassy achieves...

The Daily Mail is the most anti-police paper going and will likely blame everything on them, including 9/11. It is the most worthless arsewipe of a paper in existence, closely followed by The Guardian.

Associate
I have not witnessed it and as I am not legally trained I have no idea if it could happen. it just seems very strange as that type of summary, quick justice is something I have raising with my colleagues for many years.

Soldato
OP
I have not witnessed it and as I am not legally trained I have no idea if it could happen. it just seems very strange as that type of summary, quick justice is something I have raising with my colleagues for many years.

Oh :( I thought as a Lay Magistrate you might have some insight and might be able to clarify the events...

Soldato
fishier than an anglers y-fronts.
She would have had to be charged, evidence (statements) collected and the file forwarded to the CPS for a decision. Generally, for a low priority case like this I would assume a couple of months worth of her making bail appearances at the local Police station while the case was being dealt with. That and the fact that the Police would not have had a duty Solicitor waiting for her at the station because she may not have voluntarily appeared after the phone call (the call may very well have happened) and as I understand it the Police would still have to pay.

Back
Top Bottom