Legal system at it's best...

Soldato
A friend at work has a nanny who looks after their four children some days. Last wednesday she went to a cash point to withdraw her rent for her landlord (£500).

Soon after this she noticed she was being jossled and bussled by two women, and they tried to steal her money. She put up a fight and managed to deck one of them by using the mobile phone in her hand. The other managed to get away with her money.

The police turned up and took the nanny and the other thief back to the station. As the thief had been injured in the 'fight', they asked if she wished to press charges, which she said yes to.

The nanny spent the rest of the day in a cell and was let out in the evening understanding it was a closed case - all done!

Next morning she got a call from the station saying she had to go in. On arriving she was informed she had been appointed a lawyer and was appearing in court. Obviously she was still very upset from the day before, yet alone the idea of now appearing in court on a charge of assault, and further more English is a second language for her. The lawyer told her to just plead guilty, which she did...

She now has a criminal record (not good for a nanny), a £250 fine, and is a months rent down.

The thieves have £500, and big smiles on their faces.

Last edited:
Soldato
tbh it sounds like BS, (just my opinion)

the vast majority of cashpoints are covered by CCTV, yes, the would be mugger has the right to press charges fo assault, but then get the CCTV and the case wouldnt go away.

why do so many people do these things in cash, if I was making regular payments of £500 I would not be drawing it in cash each day, (also most cards have a £250 cash draw limit in any one day so would need special permissions to get £500 from a cash machine)

Soldato
OP
tbh it sounds like BS, (just my opinion)

the vast majority of cashpoints are covered by CCTV, yes, the would be mugger has the right to press charges fo assault, but then get the CCTV and the case wouldnt go away.

why do so many people do these things in cash, if I was making regular payments of £500 I would not be drawing it in cash each day, (also most cards have a £250 cash draw limit in any one day so would need special permissions to get £500 from a cash machine)

It didn't happen at the cash point, she had moved away...

I guarentee you, it's not BS...

Soldato
I think you need to either :

1.) Get the real story from the friend at work.
2.) Get the nanny to tell the friend at work the real story.

Then we can all make a comment on the said situation.

And don't take this the wrong way - I'm sure you are only relaying what you were told. But i find about 60% of it highly unlikely.
I'm sure she was robbed - I'm sure she probably decked them & was probably charged with attacking the robber - but from there on in, the details start to go off a bit & may need verifying.

If it's true - I'm sure it would be ideal material for a newspaper story (especially as she is obviously not English and is possibly here to experience the country etc) ...... but I doubt very much it's all true.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Tell her to write the cheif inspector or the independant police complaints commision.

Already got some legal advice. They suggest contacting the law firm who supplied the duty solicitor that day.

As I also said, she contacted her embassy this week too, and they're looking into it.

Basically I guess it was her word vs someone elses. English is her second language so she probably couldn't get her point over very well. And then in the heat of the moment she took the solicitors advice (unfortunately).

Soldato
OP
And don't take this the wrong way - I'm sure you are only relaying what you were told. But i find about 60% of it highly unlikely.
I'm sure she was robbed - I'm sure she probably decked them & was probably charged with attacking the robber - but from there on in, the details start to go off a bit & may need verifying.

I had problems believing it myself! I almost posted about it last Friday, but waited as my colleague was going to spend time over the weekend getting to the exact bottom of what had happened etc. Wed - mugged... Thursday - charged + criminal record

Man of Honour
I am not convinced.

A potential robbery is in progress and the nanny uses a mobile phone to hit one of the assailants which floors her.

In my opinion, that is quite justifiable.

The police turn up and ask the assailant if she wants to press charges ...... ?

She is called at home and told to come in ? Police have no power to do so.

She is then told she has been appointed a lawyer ? Police do not appoint lawyers and it is entirely at the discression of the suspect is they want one.

She appears in court the next day for a ' crime ' that she has been charged with ? That only happens with remand cases, not when someone is charged and bailed to court. It takes several days for a first hearing to be heard.

A lawyer, assumingly appraised of the facts by the nanny and that she has hit someone trying to rob her, tells her to plead guilty ......... ? I seriously doubt that.

Too many things don't add up.

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
um, what?

amongst the other nonsense in this story, what retarded lawyer told her to plead guilty? regardless of how bad her english is, i'm sure she wouldn't be stupid enough to plead guilty..

Back
Top Bottom