Lenovo Legion 5 Pro

Soldato
Ordered on the 3rd of June and got an email today saying that dispatch will likely be 31/08. Seems to be a popular date!

Gives me a bit of time to decide on it. Tempted to go back to a desktop again but the graphics card situation is grim to say the least. Was one of the tempting reasons behind getting this laptop.

As ever, a man of consistency...

I've made use of a Student Beans discount code from the Education store and bought the 5800H / 16GB / 3070 config for £1199.87, which is due to ship in 2 weeks rather than 2 months+.

Puts me back onto the 'questionable' 16GB of RAM but with the more valuable 1TB NVME included, compared to the 512GB NVMe I had configured manually. Drawing the comparison to my manually configured order with 32GB of RAM, it actually saves me £150-£170, which I could use along with the profit of any stock RAM sale, should I need to upgrade to 32GB. A full £300 off the exact same spec that I purchased (since returned) from the high street retailer. :eek:

Associate
What's the better option

Legion 7 Pro with 16gb ram 512 gb ssd for £120 more

than legion 5 pro with 16 gb ram and 1tb drive

So with discounts the legion 7 Pro is £1320

The legion 5 is £1200

Soldato
I would choose the 7 Pro over the 5 Pro if someone offered me them at the same price but I personally don't see the value proposition of the 7 Pro. The higher spec CPU and GPU aren't exactly miles away from the 5800H and 3070 in performance terms.

Can't say I'm a big fan of the RGB on the 7 Pro either but then again I'm not a fan of RGB in general so it's probably not aimed at me. :p

Associate
Wow that was quick the legion 7 has already been dispatched. Now need to ddcide whether to keep it or the 5

I’d be interested to hear your thoughts as I’ve just ordered a Legion 5 Pro and seen that the 7 isn’t too much more money. I dislike the rainbow puke of the 7 but love the look of the metal chassis.

Soldato
£1350 for the 82N6000RUK as the 10% discount code applies.

Is that good? Only 512 bits ssd
Ok the legion 5 pro and legion 7 are both the same price the 5 is better spec, better GPU and screen, it also highlights the cpu is better also but it looks the same.

The legion 7 has metal body what about internal drive space?

Last edited:
Associate
I got the 5 Pro with 5800H, 16GB RAM, 3070 and 1TB SSD and 3 year premium warranty for £1,418. My newsletter code worked making the laptop £1,350. I paid by debit card and was charged immediately. I’ve been emailed the warranty stuff but no news on shipping yet, though I only ordered this morning.

Associate
Hi
Thinking about upgrading the stock 16gb memory modules on my legion 5 pro (like a lot of people are doing). Could someone please provide clear model recommendations for 16gb (or even 32 GB) module options that are proven to work at 3200 mhz ?

I'm confused as on the jarrodtech video he advises using the Crucial CT2K8G4SFRA32A 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR4 3200 MHz CL22, but nobody in this thread is mentioning that option it seems?

Tbh I'm finding the whole dual rank thing confusing (from what I can work out the only way to go for dual rank is going with 2 x 16gb memory modules {giving 32gb total) - is this correct?
Any advice appreciated
Many thanks

Caporegime
From what @Minstadave has said elsewhere in the thread, I believe you're right about needing 16GB modules to get dual rank.

2x16GB kits are nearly all dual rank. 2x8GB kits can be single or dual rank modules.

Crucial don't seem to specify if their kits are dual or single rank. A quick google seems to suggest the 8GB modules are single rank in that kit so your best best is going for the 16GBx2 kit.

Soldato
Will the Legion 5 Pro default to CL20? There's no manual timings in the BIOS. Be a nice little boost if it did.

I believe so. It's JEDEC spec and changed to that when I put them in my laptop which also has no manual timings.
They are also micron rev E so if they do open up timing changes, they should do well for tightening timings.

Back
Top Bottom