Lenovo Legion 5 Pro

Associate
Recently bought a Legion 5 pro with a 3070 brand new sealed for £700, absolute bargain. 5800h, 16gb, 512gb ssd, 500nit 165hz screen. I am in love with it. Just installed Windows 11 and HDR is working great, beautiful stuff!
I have the slower ram unfortunately but I can't complain, gaming performance is still fantastic, I may upgrade though.. how much of an increase can you realistically expect?

I'm currently paired with a 165hz 1440p gsync monitor and a 4k 60hz, desk still needs sorting, waiting for a vertical laptop stand, may even get a new desk yet..

Last edited:
Soldato
Not according to my previous post it's not?

See above. I really can't see it making much difference in games, especially @ 1440p.

Happy to stand corrected though!

You need to check the zen timings not the timings that cpu Z shows you, the ones that effect performance most aren't shown on cpu z and are effected by having DR. I have gained upward of 10% from changing from the stock ram to a better hyperx kit

There is also a few videos about this out there.

This was a straight swap from OEM DR & SR

Soldato
You need to check the zen timings not the timings that cpu Z shows you, the ones that effect performance most aren't shown on cpu z and are effected by having DR.

I wasn't commenting on the timings, but the results shown across multiple games tested.

However, your second video was useful, if at least for the following two graphs:

YGfEeAy.png

02D6zsE.png

i.e. that some games show no improvement, whilst some show some (1% increase in average; up to 10% on 1% low).

I'm still not convinced it's worth it for high-res gaming, but again, I appreciate that some people simply like squeezing every last bit of performance out of their rigs and may also benefit in other non-gaming applications.

Associate
I recommend you guys do this:

Also undervolt your GPU. Barely any performance impact and now my temps are now:

gJgkY0.png

gJg6hD.png

Soldato
I suspect that registry setting is doing similar / identical things that Ryzen Controller can do:

https://ryzencontroller.com/

If you want more advanced tweaks, you can try that too.

In the end, I gave up tweaking the CPU because I found it made no performance difference because, on laptops for gaming, we're almost entirely power-limited on the GPU.

Whilst we are also thermally-limited on the CPU, I haven't found any performance increase by tweaking the CPU settings. I had hoped that power-limiting the CPU might open up some more power on the GPU, but I had to restrict the CPU power so much that they ended up cancelling each other out.

However, if you care about thermals (I'm not sure why you would, unless you're thermally-throttling and can somehow achieve more performance by limiting the power in some way), then these tweaks are excellent.

I care more about pure performance, so the only worthwhile tweak in my opinion is adjusting the GPU core clock curve so that it runs higher clocks at the same voltage.

Associate
Recently bought a Legion 5 pro with a 3070 brand new sealed for £700, absolute bargain. 5800h, 16gb, 512gb ssd, 500nit 165hz screen. I am in love with it. Just installed Windows 11 and HDR is working great, beautiful stuff!
I have the slower ram unfortunately but I can't complain, gaming performance is still fantastic, I may upgrade though.. how much of an increase can you realistically expect?

I'm currently paired with a 165hz 1440p gsync monitor and a 4k 60hz, desk still needs sorting, waiting for a vertical laptop stand, may even get a new desk yet..

How did you manage to pick up the 5 Pro with that spec so cheaply?

Associate
I suspect that registry setting is doing similar / identical things that Ryzen Controller can do:

https://ryzencontroller.com/

If you want more advanced tweaks, you can try that too.

In the end, I gave up tweaking the CPU because I found it made no performance difference because, on laptops for gaming, we're almost entirely power-limited on the GPU.

Whilst we are also thermally-limited on the CPU, I haven't found any performance increase by tweaking the CPU settings. I had hoped that power-limiting the CPU might open up some more power on the GPU, but I had to restrict the CPU power so much that they ended up cancelling each other out.

However, if you care about thermals (I'm not sure why you would, unless you're thermally-throttling and can somehow achieve more performance by limiting the power in some way), then these tweaks are excellent.

I care more about pure performance, so the only worthwhile tweak in my opinion is adjusting the GPU core clock curve so that it runs higher clocks at the same voltage.

I mainly want lower temps as we all know temps is hardware's worst enemy. With the above tweaks which I posted earlier I am getting pretty much the same performance as before but with lower temps. Obviously CPU heavy games will suffer a bit but I can easily just swap to a different profile for those games.

How did you manage to pick up the 5 Pro with that spec so cheaply?

Seller from Facebook marketplace.

Soldato
How does this compare to the Asus Zephyrus G15, Razer Blade 15 Advanced, Alienware M15 R6 etc.? Is there a reason this one seems more popular on here?

It's a minefield as there are so many that are looking decent nowadays. Think I've decided I want a 3070/3080, decent battery life and a 1440p display (or similar). I also prefer the minimal gamer look that a lot of these laptops have now.

Thanks in advance!

Caporegime
Lenovo hit a lot of boxes with the 5 Pro. Good build, full TDP GPUs, good cooling and an excellent screen.

There are some corners cut. It's not super slim, speakers are only OK, no silly RGB if thats your vibe, RAM can be a bit slow in the default config.

The most important thing is price. You can get a bargain either via code stacking or code/cashback combo if you're patient with timing.

Soldato
Lenovo hit a lot of boxes with the 5 Pro. Good build, full TDP GPUs, good cooling and an excellent screen.

There are some corners cut. It's not super slim, speakers are only OK, no silly RGB if thats your vibe, RAM can be a bit slow in the default config.

The most important thing is price. You can get a bargain either via code stacking or code/cashback combo if you're patient with timing.

Great thanks, will take a bit more of a look into it :)

Associate

Wish it was in stock! Stock has been non-existent for last 2-3 months. I've decided to get the Medion X25 Beast, which ticks the boxes and is available in higher quantities!

Associate
Legion 7 is in stock with RTX 3060 - Hopefully the 5 Pro with 3070 might on.

Still torn on wanting to get it but can't be bothered waiting!

Back
Top Bottom