Lens Help MFT

Soldato
I have a Lumix G7 with the 14-42 (f3.5-f5.6) kit lens.

I'm looking for a new lens, maybe upto about £200-£250 (used or new is OK). I take a variety of pictures+4k video primarily of my kids and days out etc. The kit lens is OK but very hard to use indoors even wide open.

Any recommendations?

Soldato
indoors either a fast prime or a more likely if they are moving around a decent flash gun! The trouble with getting a fast prime is the DoF will be thinner making it harder to get a moving child in focus, they are great when you can get them to sit still and smile for 2 seconds but for those every day playing shots can be a pain. I have a flash gun sat on top of my camera in the house for just this sort of thing means you can stop down a little and still get some nice shots if you bounce the flash and balance the ambient light.

Soldato
OP
Thanks. I guess I would probably prefer the faster lens if possible, one less bit of stuff to carry about (I know a flash isn't much), and the faster lens might improve stuff outdoors too...

Associate
The 25 f1.7 is inexpensive, sharp and pretty versatile (being the equivalent of the 'nifty fifty') however, as your camera body doesn't have IBIS you might struggle getting smooth footage.

I really like the 42.5 f1.7 (85mm equivalent so a portrait lens essentially), which does have lens stabilisation but might be a bit long for general shooting unless you're happy shooting at a bit further away.

Fast and cheap don't often mix, especially if you want stabilisation for the video.

Soldato
If you'd like to go for a wider option, there's the Panasonic 15mm f1.7 Leica Summilux DG ASPH. ffordes have a minty for £350. I have one myself and it's normally welded to my GX7, a lovely lens. It's worth checking out, and I'm sure you would have no regrets after using it.

Best of luck with your choice, whatever it is.

Caporegime
I’d be looking at the 15mm f1.7 or 25mm f1.7 as a starting point. Probably the latter to start with as it’s cheaper.

The 42.5 would be nice for video as it’s stabilised but it’s a portrait lens and might be too long for family vids.

Caporegime
You will find even with a fast lens you will struggle indoors, especially this time of year. You will have to raise the ISO quite a lot and still be careful of movement. A flash is really the way to go

Soldato
I really like the 42.5 f1.7 (85mm equivalent so a portrait lens essentially), which does have lens stabilisation but might be a bit long for general shooting unless you're happy shooting at a bit further away.
For outside use that could work, but for inside use it's would be simply narrow.
50mm field of view is be pretty much narrowest for any general indoor use.

You will find even with a fast lens you will struggle indoors, especially this time of year.
Think positively.
At least you don't have sun setting around 3:30pm like in here. :p
Heck, in northernmost Finland sun barely rises above horizon.

Soldato
For outside use that could work, but for inside use it's would be simply narrow.
50mm field of view is be pretty much narrowest for any general indoor use.

Think positively.
At least you don't have sun setting around 3:30pm like in here. :p
Heck, in northernmost Finland sun barely rises above horizon.

Well put Sir!

A fast wide angle, no flash, enjoy your photography and family.

Soldato
OP
I'm a bit confused now as to what I should go for (bearing in mind I do shoot a bit of 4k video)... a flash gun (which one??) with a video light, or a faster prime lens?

Soldato
OP
Panasonic H-H025E-K 25 mm/F1.7 ASPH Lens
Nissin i40 (MFT)

I can get both of them for my budget - seem OK?

Last edited:
Caporegime
I’ve got the Newer mk320 you initially mentioned (think you’ve edited to the i40 now) and mine is really buggy and doesn’t turn on unless you detach it from the camera, sometimes have to pull the batteries too. The built in LED light would be too weak for video work too I’d have thought, it’s pretty anaemic.

Also I don’t know if I just can’t use it properly but I find I just don’t like the photos I get with it. I’ve tried bouncing it and using the diffuser it comes with but it always has that harsh/flat look to the photos.

If I was going to buy a flash I’d pay a little more and get a Godox:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...odox+tt350&dpPl=1&dpID=41cKy4SSgDL&ref=plSrch

It supports HSS which the Newer doesn’t.

Personally I’d rather just use available light and a fast lens instead.

Soldato
I’ve got the Newer mk320 you initially mentioned (think you’ve edited to the i40 now) and mine is really buggy and doesn’t turn on unless you detach it from the camera, sometimes have to pull the batteries too. The built in LED light would be too weak for video work too I’d have thought, it’s pretty anaemic.

Also I don’t know if I just can’t use it properly but I find I just don’t like the photos I get with it. I’ve tried bouncing it and using the diffuser it comes with but it always has that harsh/flat look to the photos.

If I was going to buy a flash I’d pay a little more and get a Godox:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...odox+tt350&dpPl=1&dpID=41cKy4SSgDL&ref=plSrch

It supports HSS which the Newer doesn’t.

Personally I’d rather just use available light and a fast lens instead.
While I agree with your last paragraph sadly a fast lens and hi ISO will only get you so far indoors on a winter evening with fast moving kids! I like the combination of a fast lens and a flash it lets you balance the flash and ambient to avoid that flat look while still freezing the motion and having enough dof to get more than a nose in focus! Everyone's different though so do what works for you!

Back
Top Bottom