Lets talk about Veganism

Permabanned
I think it's a great idea! But as people have already stated, get the research done before hand.

Started eating a lot less meat myself and going for the vegie/vegan alternatives, a lot of the times when I'm eating out in fact.

There's just no harm in doing so. Not too say that a healthily regimented diet which happens to include meat can't ever be as healthy, but most of us freely admit to eating far too much meat.

Caporegime
Cheese is life and I have tried literally all the vegan ones in the UK, even imported a few.

Some are passable as slices, but none give the correct kind of melt needed for mac, pizza or toasties. They are also bloody expensive.

For that reason, I'm out.

Caporegime

While interesting research, this doesn't support your argument. basically there is some land that can only be used for grazing animals, and some land best used to grow hay for animals. If you don't consumer animlas then that land is not utilized. that isn't a bad thing in itself, and is a direct contradiction to your claim that a wide spread vegan diet would increase land use.

If the main problem to be solved is feeding the most people, then sure having some sheep in the highlands of Scotland makes sense. but at a global level food production is not an issue, the problem is distribution of food. Moreover, the above research ignores the environmental effect of the animals. Cows have a huge requirement in CO2 and water, so although they can be raised in semi-arid poor soil locations across the US for example, doesn't make it a good thing to increase consumption.

I think a good take away message is that you can consume a small amount of meat without a big environmental impact and aiding some efficiency gains. This will also increase health benefits, and if you do have ethical issues then a reduction in animal deaths even if not absolutely removed is still a big step forwards. This goes hand in hand with your other link, perhaps don't replace meat with quinoa, lentils and avodcado but keep some meat in your diet and just concentrate on locally produced seasonal vegetables.

Soldato
By all means go vegan, just try not to tell everyone you meet about it.

My cousins daughter is and its all you hear about whenever she's in the room with us dirty meat eaters. My wife is a vegi (well pescetarian) and doesn't feel the need to tell anyone unless they are cooking her dinner. The level of high ground some vegans think they own is tiresome.

Man of Honour
By all means go vegan, just try not to tell everyone you meet about it.

My cousins daughter is and its all you hear about whenever she's in the room with us dirty meat eaters. My wife is a vegi (well pescetarian) and doesn't feel the need to tell anyone unless they are cooking her dinner. The level of high ground some vegans think they own is tiresome.

Have that from a cousin. She's also a Peta supporter/member... Last time we met up I deliberately wore a "Meat is murder. Tasty, tasty murder" t-shirt. Shut her up for once. :D

Soldato
OP
While interesting research, this doesn't support your argument. basically there is some land that can only be used for grazing animals, and some land best used to grow hay for animals. If you don't consumer animlas then that land is not utilized. that isn't a bad thing in itself, and is a direct contradiction to your claim that a wide spread vegan diet would increase land use.

If the main problem to be solved is feeding the most people, then sure having some sheep in the highlands of Scotland makes sense. but at a global level food production is not an issue, the problem is distribution of food. Moreover, the above research ignores the environmental effect of the animals. Cows have a huge requirement in CO2 and water, so although they can be raised in semi-arid poor soil locations across the US for example, doesn't make it a good thing to increase consumption.

I think a good take away message is that you can consume a small amount of meat without a big environmental impact and aiding some efficiency gains. This will also increase health benefits, and if you do have ethical issues then a reduction in animal deaths even if not absolutely removed is still a big step forwards. This goes hand in hand with your other link, perhaps don't replace meat with quinoa, lentils and avodcado but keep some meat in your diet and just concentrate on locally produced seasonal vegetables.

Yup, plus some of the land that is best suited for growing animal feed could be used for growing edible crops - albeit at a lower efficiency rate.

I'm not too worried about global level changes etc anyway. The way I see it is that a healthy and enjoyable vegan diet is only now possible because I can get a diverse range of fresh food from all over the world thanks to capitalist advances. People worried about an developing avocado monoculture should probably start their dietary changes by reducing the amount of tea, coffee and chocolate they have.

Permabanned
Tbf, to be a vegan is to be, by definition, an activist.

And to be quite honest, they have every reason to take the moral high ground. Unless you buy your meat produce EXCLUSIVELY from locally sourced, truly organic farm shops then your likely to be an enormous hypocrite when it comes to your beliefs in even the most basic of animal rights acts and opinions on environmental protection.

The simple fact of the matter is that most meat we consume is rather disgustingly 'farmed'. I think you either accept your position as a filthy hypocrite, or do one of the two things above.

I'm a meat eater by the way :)

Soldato
I've recently been persuaded by a friend to give veganism a go, and am currently cutting down on my animal products before going full no-turkey sometime later in the year. Has anyone else made the jump, any tips on cooking and eating out?

I don't really care about others who do choose to eat meat, its a personal choice for me that I'm making as over time I lost the argument with a close friend on the morality of eating animal products when so many modern alternatives available. Also I'm pretty sure the dietary arguments (for and against) are overblown, so I'm really only looking for great tasting and filling foods, rather than low calorie, low fat foods.
lost the morality argument ? Being a vegetarian is just as bad as eating meat. Technically vegetarians kill and eat more living things then meat eaters, worse the vegetarians eat the food while its still alive killing it as they eat.

Back
Top Bottom