1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Letting agents say they havnt received rent.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eggcup, 9 May 2013.

1. eggcup

Wise Guy

Long story short I have been renting my flat for the past 6 months and have paid the rent on the 2nd of each month and for all of those previous months.

I received a phone call from the agents today saying they havnt received payment this month and that I need to make payment immediately. So I fire up Internet banking and check and sure enough the standing order has come out my bank account the same as it usually does every other month. So I go in the bank and ask them to check it has definitely left my account and reached theirs and I get a print out the fact too.
    I take the statement to the agents to show them and the lady I deal with doesnt even look at it, she just says if it's not in their bank account by to tomorrow afternoon she will call as apparently it's my banks fault that they havnt received payment.

So my bank is saying I've paid , the agents are saying I havnt. ( how can I find out where my money is?)

Can the agents demand payment again even though I have paid it once already ???

2. Disco Boy

Soldato

What do you think?

3. eggcup

Wise Guy

Thanks for that useful insight! :rolleyes:

4. Kutter

Mobster

talk to the lettings manager instead of the dimwit your dealing with.

Sadly some letting agents are even more useless as a chocolate teapot. I had no end of problems with Petty's.

5. macster

Gangster

copy of your statement should shut them up... Or at least give them enough to go back to their bank

6. [FnG]magnolia

Pancake

Take advice from your bank. Disputes are a very, very common occurrence.

7. tom_e

Man of Honour

I had this problem once in my old place, I told them it had been paid and to check again, this went back and forth a few times but in the end they basically said oh yeah it's been there all along we just missed it.
    ******* **** wits

8. arknor

Caporegime

I would complain you are providing proof of payment and she won't even look at it and see it's not your problem wtf

9. /\ndy

Hitman

I can confirm I work for this agency, we need the payment right now.

10. Hades

Caporegime

Have you phoned your bank?

11. Freddie1980

Sgarrista

Write a letter of complaint to your agents and cc in your landlord if you can

12. Bromhead

Wise Guy

I think the best thing to do, would be to demand payment from them. It will confuse them.

13. arknor

Caporegime

or a fraud complaint :D they are clearly lieing as he can prove they have his money :D

14. Schizo

Capodecina

Ask the agents to prove you haven't paid and ask to see there bank statements showing you haven't paid,shove it back in there face if there sayin you haven't paid.

15. eggcup

Wise Guy

Yes they are saying it came out in the 2nd and they would of received payment within 2 hours.

16. eggcup

Wise Guy

I think I will do this, thanks.

17. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Contact your bank. And don't sweat it too much, it's months before they can do anything to you for non-payment.

18. ince

Perma Banned

Tell them to show you their statement

19. Richdog

Caporegime

If it has come out of your account to the same destination as last time, and the bank confirms it, and have provided you with evidence to how the letting agency, then I think it's pretty clear-cut.

20. gobbo

Mobster

All the advice in this thread is great, but misses one essential fact....lettings agents only exist to make estate agents look competent.

IMO speak to the lettings manager/office manager, you might then get someone who attempts to know their **** hole from their elbow