LG 24GM77-B Monitor

ADP

ADP

Associate
OP
I've decided to pull the trigger and ordered one of these monitors (24GM77), it should turn up tomorrow.

I have been using a Philips 200W6CS (IPS screen) since 2006, so I am used to good colours on a monitor. I also had the chance to play around with a Benq XL2420Z for a whole day not long a go, so I will be making some comparisons to share with anyone interested in this monitor:)

Soldato
ordered one at 3:50 hopefully i beat the 4pm cut off time for tomorrow delivery. wife is home all day (do i tell her ive ordered it or just wait for it to be delivered :D )

Associate
did i read somewhere you need to use display port to get this running at 144hz or am i imagining things?

I have 2 running on Displayport and 1 off Dual DVi, my 7970's have 2 x mini displayports, 1 x HDMI and 1 x Dual DVi outputs, if I remember correctly it's the HDMi port that can't do over 60hz, the Dual DVi and displayports can do 144hz, which is working fine for me.

Soldato
I have 2 running on Displayport and 1 off Dual DVi, my 7970's have 2 x mini displayports, 1 x HDMI and 1 x Dual DVi outputs, if I remember correctly it's the HDMi port that can't do over 60hz, the Dual DVi and displayports can do 144hz, which is working fine for me.

Ahh cool. I just seen a display port cable didn't cone included and wondered if it was required. Mines coming tomorrow so whoop whoop.

ADP

ADP

Associate
OP
Got home and mine was waiting for me, i've set it up and testing it out now, first impressions are that the colours are a bit better than the Benq XL2420Z when looking at pictures, desktop and videos. I'm just checking out some games now to see how good the motion is.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Got home and mine was waiting for me, i've set it up and testing it out now, first impressions are that the colours are a bit better than the Benq XL2420Z when looking at pictures, desktop and videos. I'm just checking out some games now to see how good the motion is.

Keep us updated, I've been looking on 144hz monitors for couple days now and thinking of that LG or AOC or Viewsonic VG2401mh or the Benq XL2430T . The LG from what you are ppl saying seems like the ebst deal, but Viewsonic has 8-bit panel :confused:

Last edited:

ADP

ADP

Associate
OP
Keep us updated, I've been looking on 144hz monitors for couple days now and thinking of that LG or Benq XL2430T or the Viewsonic VG2401mh. The LG from what you are ppl saying seems like the ebst deal, but Viewsonic has 8-bit panel :confused:

My understanding is that the LG panel is 8-bit as well. The colours are a lot closer to my Philips IPS panel than I thought it would be. The menu is a bit fiddly to navigate around, they could have done a better job.

Anyone who gets this monitor, just make sure that the response time is set to high, or else the motion on screen will not look that smooth.

Last edited:

ADP

ADP

Associate
OP
I'm having one issue with this monitor, when you select any of the custom presets such as GAMER1, GAMER2 or GAMER3, the monitor will not allow me to change and save the response time setting, it just stays on middle setting, so i cannot get the best performance from this monitor under those settings.

Has anyone else with this monitor had the same issue?

Associate
I see what you mean, surely there must be a way of saving this. Will check.
Edit, ok if you choose one of the FPS modes, then go into screen, then picture settings, you can choose and save it there, not sure why you can't do this in gamer modes.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have this monitor, had it a couple of weeks and really chuffed with it. I mainly play FPS and have so far settled on motion 240 at 120hz, over 144hz. But then sometimes I switch to 144hz and think it's better, it's a tough decision to make!

I have had to calibrate by eye and keep finding myself tweaking colours etc, anyone fancy sharing their settings? Anyone got one of these and have a calib tool?

EDIT: What do people have response time set as? I have it set to high, should it be set to low? Confused!

Last edited:
Associate
I had mine all set at default but tonight I'm going to try fps with response time on low, see what happens, it looks awesome on Project cars @120hz on eyefinity.

Soldato
just got it and set it up. will have a play with the colours more over the coming days and let you know what my settings are

ADP

ADP

Associate
OP
I see what you mean, surely there must be a way of saving this. Will check.
Edit, ok if you choose one of the FPS modes, then go into screen, then picture settings, you can choose and save it there, not sure why you can't do this in gamer modes.

Thanks for the response, yes I noticed that you can change the response time from the MENU > SCREEN > PICTURE > RESPONSE TIME while in the FPS1, FPS2 or RTS profiles.

But watch what happens when you go back to the GAMER1, GAMER2 or GAMER3 profiles. Select MENU > SCREEN > PICTURE, the response time is still set to MIDDLE and it cannot be changed from that setting. At leaset on my monitor anyway.

The reason why I prefer to use the monitor with the GAMER1, GAMER2 and GAMER3 profiles is because if you want to change the 'Black Stabilizer' setting, you can just press the 'BLACK STABILIZER button at the front of the monitor, and just change it.

If you are using the FPS1, FPS2 or RTS profiles, watch what happens when you press the 'BLACK STABILIZER' or 'DAS MODE' buttons, it will ask you to disable the game mode first before going any further.

So in other words, you can either use the GAMER1, GAMER2 or GAMER3 profiles without the best response time, or you can use the FPS1, FPS2 or RTS profiles with limited Black stabilizing function.

Check your monitor and see if it is the same for you.

Soldato
I had mine all set at default but tonight I'm going to try fps with response time on low, see what happens, it looks awesome on Project cars @120hz on eyefinity.

The manual says that high is the quickest response time. And low is the slowest.

So my settings so far.

Gamer 3
Auto brightness
70 contrast
50 red
50 green
46 blue
Gamma 2
(Found the 50/59/46 from prad.de tests)

Associate
The manual says that high is the quickest response time. And low is the slowest.

So my settings so far.

Gamer 3
Auto brightness
70 contrast
50 red
50 green
46 blue
Gamma 2
(Found the 50/59/46 from prad.de tests)
Thanks for sharing, will try these at some point, there gors my 'low is better' theory lol

Associate
Thanks for the response, yes I noticed that you can change the response time from the MENU > SCREEN > PICTURE > RESPONSE TIME while in the FPS1, FPS2 or RTS profiles.

But watch what happens when you go back to the GAMER1, GAMER2 or GAMER3 profiles. Select MENU > SCREEN > PICTURE, the response time is still set to MIDDLE and it cannot be changed from that setting. At leaset on my monitor anyway.

The reason why I prefer to use the monitor with the GAMER1, GAMER2 and GAMER3 profiles is because if you want to change the 'Black Stabilizer' setting, you can just press the 'BLACK STABILIZER button at the front of the monitor, and just change it.

If you are using the FPS1, FPS2 or RTS profiles, watch what happens when you press the 'BLACK STABILIZER' or 'DAS MODE' buttons, it will ask you to disable the game mode first before going any further.

So in other words, you can either use the GAMER1, GAMER2 or GAMER3 profiles without the best response time, or you can use the FPS1, FPS2 or RTS profiles with limited Black stabilizing function.

Check your monitor and see if it is the same for you.

Interesting ADP, not tried those settings to be honest, was too busy getting my @$$ shot off in BF4 :)

Soldato
Thanks for sharing, will try these at some point, there gors my 'low is better' theory lol
They have those settings for the brightness at 17 but that seems rather low to me.

So far I've tried counterstrike go and advance warfare. The difference for cod was crazy. Going to try BF4 and titanfall later.

Soldato
I'll be honest, I haven't tried any of the buttons at the front. When I press them it asks to disable picture mode? Manual was abit useless to be honest!

Back
Top Bottom