LG 27GP850-B

Soldato
A few weeks have passed since sending my faulty 32GP850 back and opting for the slightly smaller 27GP850. Glad to report... all is well here!

Monitor has been rock solid since unboxing and the picture quality is fantastic overall considering the £299 sale price.

Cracking monitor!

OcUK Staff
A few weeks have passed since sending my faulty 32GP850 back and opting for the slightly smaller 27GP850. Glad to report... all is well here!

Monitor has been rock solid since unboxing and the picture quality is fantastic overall considering the £299 sale price.

Cracking monitor!

The return rate (unwanted and faulty) on 27GP850 is tiny, 1.85%

The 27GP850 monitor is rock solid!

Caporegime
Question to anyone with the LG GP850 monitors or similar...

In nVidia control panel, I have a warning that "Selected Display is not validated as G-Sync compatible" and I have to force G-Sync on with the checkbox.

Anyone else have this warning?

In Device Manager display is listed as "LG ULTRAGEAR(DisplayPort)". INF file from LG's website used.

Monitor is set to Extended A-Sync and DP 1.4 mode used.

In games that are supposed to be capped to 60 FPS the framerate is all over the darn shop. From 48 to 155. Can lock the FPS to 60 in nVidia control panel but this appears to do precisely nada. The FPS counter still swings wildly from 48 to 155.

This is causing issues in games that are locked to 60 FPS. To get them working properly I have to manually set the refresh rate to 60 Hz and disable G-Sync.

Which kind of defeats the purpose of G-Sync, but ah well.

e: Silly me was using an old (very old in fact) driver. Was the WHQL driver Windows downloaded. Doh.

Last edited:
Soldato
LG don't make the power bricks. They use one of three companies (details are in the thread on previous pages).

Yes you can buy a standard power brick to the exact same specs from the same companies that LG use for their "official" bricks.

You can find them from sources (other than eBay) for about £20.

Same quality components though? Sadly the net is flush with electrical products that have corners cut.

Ree

Ree

Associate
Well that was interesting, I just had the right half of my screen go black from bootup :/ Restarted and it went back to normal.

Associate
Has anyone used the motion blur reduction mode at all with this monitor? Is it worth trying?

I basically overclocked it to 180hz, lowered the brightness to around 15/20 and then haven't touched any of the settings since.

Associate
Has anyone used the motion blur reduction mode at all with this monitor? Is it worth trying?

I basically overclocked it to 180hz, lowered the brightness to around 15/20 and then haven't touched any of the settings since.
No not tried it, i literally put it on fast mode and picture setting to vivid and have been happily gaming ever since...still love this monitor, its been working great for me :)

Associate

The main attraction of this monitor is that it doesn't need any kind of motion blur reduction. It can achieve 4ms at 144hz which for me is more than enough. I feel anyone who needs a faster monitor should probably get a TN. The whole point of this monitor is that you can play fast paced game with the nice picture quality of IPS. Using MBR seems to kinda defeat the purpose.

Associate
I need to replace my Asus PG278Q (the original ROG SWIFT) which has served me well. Quite happy to stick with 1440p, quite happy with the 144Hz refresh rate. Appreciate that a benefit of a newer monitor will provide FreeSync support as well as GSync, plus having some HDMI connectivity (which the 278Q lacks) would be useful.

So narrowed it down to the Dell S2721DGFA and the LG 27GP850-B. They seem much a muchness, beyond the latter having a faster max refresh rate and possibly a newer LG panel type?

All things being equal, assuming they are the same price give or take a few £s, is the LG the option to go for? I can't help but wonder if the Dell will offer a bit better build quality/warranty aftercare.

The thread seemed to be as good as a place to ask!

Soldato
Just grabbed the 27GP850 today for £350, really happy with it! Any recommended settings? I can see mine was manufactured in Nov 21 so appears to be set up pretty much as I would have done. I'd highly recommend it so far!

Associate
Just grabbed the 27GP850 today for £350, really happy with it! Any recommended settings? I can see mine was manufactured in Nov 21 so appears to be set up pretty much as I would have done. I'd highly recommend it so far!
It's super good out of the box, all I'd say (and you've probably done this already) is set adaptive sync to extended and use the OSD on the monitor to overclock to 180hz as a starting point!

I drop my brightness to 21 (although that's purely personal preference), up the sharpness to 60, keep Gamma at 'mode 2', and then colour temp is custom (R-49, G-50, B-47).

That's been working nicely for me for the 5 or so months I've had it!

Associate
I need to replace my Asus PG278Q (the original ROG SWIFT) which has served me well. Quite happy to stick with 1440p, quite happy with the 144Hz refresh rate. Appreciate that a benefit of a newer monitor will provide FreeSync support as well as GSync, plus having some HDMI connectivity (which the 278Q lacks) would be useful.

So narrowed it down to the Dell S2721DGFA and the LG 27GP850-B. They seem much a muchness, beyond the latter having a faster max refresh rate and possibly a newer LG panel type?

All things being equal, assuming they are the same price give or take a few £s, is the LG the option to go for? I can't help but wonder if the Dell will offer a bit better build quality/warranty aftercare.

The thread seemed to be as good as a place to ask!
I picked up the 27GP850 last November when they were on offer on Black Friday - and the Dell was the same price. I ended up going with the LG monitor, an extra 15hz is always nice and the LG actually works on next gen consoles (downscaling the 4K image) whereas the Dell monitor would only show 1080p. Unsure if it's a factor for you - but I use my screen for my PS5 as well so I was more inclined to lean that .

100% agree that the Dell looks to have better build quality and warranty - I also think the stand that comes with the Dell monitor is leagues better than the LG one.

I honestly don't think you can make a bad choice, I'd even say (if you can) order both and see which you like for a few days and then return the one you prefer the least.

Soldato
It's super good out of the box, all I'd say (and you've probably done this already) is set adaptive sync to extended and use the OSD on the monitor to overclock to 180hz as a starting point!

I drop my brightness to 21 (although that's purely personal preference), up the sharpness to 60, keep Gamma at 'mode 2', and then colour temp is custom (R-49, G-50, B-47).

That's been working nicely for me for the 5 or so months I've had it!

Thanks pal, in nvidia control panel have you got it set to RGB 10-bit colour or 8?

Associate
I picked up the 27GP850 last November when they were on offer on Black Friday - and the Dell was the same price. I ended up going with the LG monitor, an extra 15hz is always nice and the LG actually works on next gen consoles (downscaling the 4K image) whereas the Dell monitor would only show 1080p. Unsure if it's a factor for you - but I use my screen for my PS5 as well so I was more inclined to lean that .

100% agree that the Dell looks to have better build quality and warranty - I also think the stand that comes with the Dell monitor is leagues better than the LG one.

I honestly don't think you can make a bad choice, I'd even say (if you can) order both and see which you like for a few days and then return the one you prefer the least.
Thanks, I don't need to be able to use a console on it - just PC and Raspberry Pi!

I think I am still erring towards the Dell, so appreciate your view on both.

Associate
in a slight twist of fate I found a dell s2721dgfa on their website for £333. possibly pricing error, as when i added to basket it came up as £400. i tried asking dell support showing them the link and they fixed the price quick, but honoured it for me on a quote, with a work discount on top too. So although it isn't my perfect monitor (the gp850 Would be my ultimate) for just over half the price ive gone for it. I can always then upgrade to the GP once its in stock in future or on sale! absolute bargain to be honest. only thing im missing out on is 4k downscale.

So many months on i wanted to play ps5 on my monitor and couldnt justify a 4k 144hz display and the gp850 went on sale for £300 so ive switched over to this now!

Monitor is lovely and enjoying it so far, colour feels slightly oversaturated with the icc profile from the lg site. I might try the one rtings. I cant find a resource of best settings online, going to read through comments and find peoples opinionsZ

Soldato
Fellas is it worth upgrading to one of these from an asus swift pg278q?

My thoughts are

8 > 10bit - (I do edit video so this would be useful) - will games look better too?
144hz > 165hz
g-sync > g sync and freesync
no warranty > warranty

I've never had an IPS monitor - what is the IPS glow like on this?

Thanks

Dave

Back
Top Bottom