Poll: ** LG 27GP950 AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER NOW - LIMITED AVAILABILITY **

Do you have any black screen issues?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Isn't it worth waiting for true 4K monitors over display port without using DSC (compression algortihm)? Especially now there is a black-screening problem which I found annoying in critical points in games and so returned reluctantly.

Won't the GP950 be a bit behind the times when say in Q2 2022 Display port 2.0 monitors come out making 4k truly lossless over DP?

I plan my future upgrades on panel tech. Like this GP950 will last me till OLED monitors are worth the price and some of the issues are sorted out I.e. screen burn etc

I come from TN to IPS and the reason its taken this long is because of IPS panel issue i.e. response times.

Associate
Isn't it worth waiting for true 4K monitors over display port without using DSC (compression algortihm)? Especially now there is a black-screening problem which I found annoying in critical points in games and so returned reluctantly.

Won't the GP950 be a bit behind the times when say in Q2 2022 Display port 2.0 monitors come out making 4k truly lossless over DP?

I have "true 4K" monitors right now, but they are only 60Hz. Resolution has nothing to do with refresh rate. DisplayPort 1.4 supports 4K@120Hz without compression. I'm fine with 120 Hz, who the fcuk can tell the difference between 120Hz and 160Hz anyway?

Associate
I have "true 4K" monitors right now, but they are only 60Hz. Resolution has nothing to do with refresh rate. DisplayPort 1.4 supports 4K@120Hz without compression. I'm fine with 120 Hz, who the fcuk can tell the difference between 120Hz and 160Hz anyway?

who the fcuk can tell the difference between DSC on and off?

Associate
DSC is very nice for games, no additional input lag and no compression artifacts (even with static pixel peeping). For something like photoshop it is better to lower the monitor's frequency to a below DSC level since, for example, a 235:123:214 RGB pixel may turn into 235:123:215 after decompression on the monitor side due to the pixel prediction techniques in the DSC protocol, which, mostly morally, is not acceptable for a color critical work. A good read-up here:
https://www.quantumdata.com/assets/displayport_dsc_protocols_webinar.pdf

Associate
So are these ever going to be availiable to order ever again or is it the same story as the GN?

Seems they are like gold dust, extremely difficult to get hold of, big supply issues from LG. I managed to pre order as I kept an eye on this thread and when it popped up for pre order someone posted here and I managed to pre order from that, the other company selling them I've registered for the out of stock notifications around 4 months ago and not received any email at all, so good luck getting it from them.

It's literally just luck.

Associate
Could be worse - the 27GP850-B has never been on sale in the UK, and isn't looking promising to come this year...

If these are like gold dust then the GP850 is a unicorn :p

Yeh I tried to get one of those too, as I was torn with the GP950 or the GP850. I got my GN850 today and really happy with it, such great colours and while its a step behind the GP850 its at least available and with some discounts I managed to get it for £270 so I will just save a few more months till I can find an actual 4K monitor in stock, then I will be able to play games at 1440p native or 2160p native depending on which monitor I use. Seems like a good compromise for my RTX 3070.

This is assuming the GP950 ever comes back in stock again or do we end up waiting for the GQ850? :D

Associate
Another black screen tonight, once again the only game it happens in for me is Night of the Dead. Convinced it is related to Freesync / Gsync, maybe specific titles and not power or psu related (monitor solely connected to an APC BX1400UI UPS). There was a tiny blip in the gpu usage graph in MSI AB, dropped maybe a couple of % from 98% during the black out and fps at the time were well within the Freesync range at circa 58fps.

Associate
So, I followed the advice from the LG's response above, and guess what, I had a 3-hour game session without a single black screen at 160hz@155fps mode, freesync on (triple checked that). The monitor was plugged through a different wall socket via a long apc power filter. Lucky or this is the fix? Not sure yet, will report as soon as I test it longer.
I'm quoting myself to update on the black screen issue. Another 4-hour game session at 160 Hz with fps always in the freesync range and monitor being connected to a separate wall socket. No black screens. Not once. Tomorrow I will reconnect the monitor to the common socket and I expect to have a black screen within 15-30 minutes at 160 Hz mode as I always had before.

Associate
I'm patiently waiting here with my 4 year old 60hz 1080p monitor.

flat,128x128,075,t.u2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom