LG 32UD99 HDR 4K FREESYNC GAMING/PROFESSIONAL HDR10 MONITOR NOW AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER!!

Associate
I would wait before pre-ordering this display, there is a lot that is unknown about it at present and it may just be a normal 32" 4k monitor that accepts HDR input but otherwise be unremarkable. You'll want to look at the input latency and response times as well as 'HDR' features this supports.

Caporegime
From what I have read it's just supports hdr and isn't actually a hdr screen. Like when 720p tv's were sd as he ready which meant they could accept a 1080p signal rather than they were a 1080p set. Disappointing for the money and no better than my 350 quid 4k benq screen I've had for a few years which is also freesync and overclocks

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
From what I have read it's just supports hdr and isn't actually a hdr screen. Like when 720p tv's were sd as he ready which meant they could accept a 1080p signal rather than they were a 1080p set. Disappointing for the money and no better than my 350 quid 4k benq screen I've had for a few years which is also freesync and overclocks
Which monitor do you have? £350? Maybe I buy one in the mean time while waiting for better ones to become available. What is the OC and Freesync range?

Caporegime
Which monitor do you have? £350? Maybe I buy one in the mean time while waiting for better ones to become available. What is the OC and Freesync range?

Problem is they arent £350 anymore, they over now over £600 :( OC to 75Mhz and not sure on the freesync anymore as I now have a Nvidia card. Although I am so glad I got it on offer from ocuk at the price I did looking at what monitor companies are bringing out now for a grand.

BenQ BL3201PT

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Problem is they arent £350 anymore, they over now over £600 :( OC to 75Mhz and not sure on the freesync anymore as I now have a Nvidia card. Although I am so glad I got it on offer from ocuk at the price I did looking at what monitor companies are bringing out now for a grand.

BenQ BL3201PT
You want to sell it? :p

Caporegime
I don't understand the PC monitor market. Why would someone buy this instead of a 40" 4k HDR tv at £400?

Lag. That is the only advantage pc monitors get. And if you dont mind/notice the lag or play those types of games then there are some decent TVs with lowish lag.

It makes me laugh that some high end pc monitors have worse lag than the Samsung 4k tv anyway.

Caporegime
If LG's 38" monitor is anything to go by, this monitor could have just as much input lag and tbh it is very likely especially if they have cut corners to try and keep the price under £1k as they did with the 34um95 and the 38uc99....

zSlGCIi.png

Man of Honour
I don't understand the PC monitor market. Why would someone buy this instead of a 40" 4k HDR tv at £400?
very different target audiences. a TV like that wil be fine for mutltimedia, movies and probably a lot of consoles, but for desktop PC use it doesn't cut it. 40" is probably too big for a start for most users, it will lack colour reliability and will not really offer very good performance for main desktop-type use. Also, as mentioned the lag tends to be very high and so they arn't really sorted for fast desktop gaming. they don't offer refresh rates >60Hz either so motion clarity is not as good as a decent high refresh rate desktop monitor. there's no dynamic refresh rate techs like G-sync/Freesync either.

Caporegime
very different target audiences. a TV like that wil be fine for mutltimedia, movies and probably a lot of consoles, but for desktop PC use it doesn't cut it. 40" is probably too big for a start for most users, it will lack colour reliability and will not really offer very good performance for main desktop-type use. Also, as mentioned the lag tends to be very high and so they arn't really sorted for fast desktop gaming. they don't offer refresh rates >60Hz either so motion clarity is not as good as a decent high refresh rate desktop monitor. there's no dynamic refresh rate techs like G-sync/Freesync either.

You really only have two valid points there.

1. 40" might be too big - there may be decent 4k 32" TVs out there worth looking at?
2. No freesync or Gsync.

The rest i would dispute. The colour accuracy on the TVs can be better than a lot of monitors, the lag on this one isnt too bad and certainly no worse than quite a few top end £1000 monitors I could name. We are only just going to get >60Hz 4k screens later this year so thats not a fair comparison as they dont exist in the monitor world either. Quality seems better than PC monitor manufacturers

But you are missing the big point. If you took this £400 TV, stripped out the extra cost tv tuners and stuff which would then reduce the lag and added freesync or gsync, you wouldnt need an extra £600 which is what PC monitor makers want for us which then ends up needing 4 screens before you find a decent one whereas the 4k TVs seem to have much less issue with backlight bleed than monitors do.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

1. 40" might be too big - there may be decent 4k 32" TVs out there worth looking at?
2. No freesync or Gsync.

The rest i would dispute. The colour accuracy on the TVs can be better than a lot of monitors, the lag on this one isnt too bad and certainly no worse than quite a few top end £1000 monitors I could name. We are only just going to get >60Hz 4k screens later this year so thats not a fair comparison as they dont exist in the monitor world either. Quality seems better than PC monitor manufacturers

But you are missing the big point. If you took this £400 TV, stripped out the extra cost tv tuners and stuff which would then reduce the lag and added freesync or gsync, you wouldnt need an extra £600 which is what PC monitor makers want for us which then ends up needing 4 screens before you find a decent one whereas the 4k TVs seem to have much less issue with backlight bleed than monitors do.

Yeah. Could they not just do a extra SKU aiming it as a monitor using the exact same panel?

Associate
Yeah. Could they not just do a extra SKU aiming it as a monitor using the exact same panel?
They could, but then they'd potentially be missing out on extra profit / they don't want to take the risk. The only thing that might convince them is if people stop buying overpriced monitors.

Man of Honour

2. No freesync or Gsync.

which 4K HDR TV are you specifically talking about out of interest?

Caporegime
which 4K HDR TV are you specifically talking about out of interest?

Samsung 40KU6400 for starters. 20ms lag and great colour uniformity with added boost of HDR.

Would be really interesting to see somebody like you do a proper review as a monitor as a comparison to PC monitors to see how it fairs. I always rate your reviews and base my purchase choice only after reading yours.

Associate
Samsung 40KU6400 for starters. 20ms lag and great colour uniformity with added boost of HDR.

Would be really interesting to see somebody like you do a proper review as a monitor as a comparison to PC monitors to see how it fairs. I always rate your reviews and base my purchase choice only after reading yours.

Honestly the difference in quality between the 6400 series and when you go to 7000 (or ideally 8000) series is notable. The 7000 and up is UHD certified as it meets the minimum brightness requirements, and it has local area dimming (not FALD, only the 9500 had that in the Samsung range last year). Problem is the smallest of that series is just not usable as a monitor. I would kill for a smaller version of the 58" 902b, thing is super lush, comparing it to my top of the line samsung £800 monitor CF791 just ****** me off every time.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
This is why I refuse to over pay for these monitors. If they were OLED then I would be happy to splash the cash, as you would see the difference in quality. Much better colours, no backlight bleed or IPS glow etc. But I refuse to over pay for IPS tech that has been around for ages which has arguably got worse with so much blb :(

Back
Top Bottom