LG 42-inch OLED

Associate
OP
At this moment I'm typing on my phone so a bit limited, I'll reply on others their replies later when i'm on my pc.

My 42C2 will be delivered today, schedule is planned between 16:45-17:45. So here is the thing, should I try it for 30 days or exchange it right away for 48C1? What about the 48C2? WBC too? What LG is doing is really ****** business tactics but what do we expect when there is no competition...

Soldato
At this moment I'm typing on my phone so a bit limited, I'll reply on others their replies later when i'm on my pc.

My 42C2 will be delivered today, schedule is planned between 16:45-17:45. So here is the thing, should I try it for 30 days or exchange it right away for 48C1? What about the 48C2? WBC too? What LG is doing is really ****** business tactics but what do we expect when there is no competition...

One part is your not going to know if you have a WBE or WBC panel anyways unless you have a spectrometer. As per Vincent's post, seems for 2022 models, the Serial no longer actually lets you know if you have a WBC or WBE panel combined with not knowing in the engineer menu either. Your seemingly going to only know if you have a spectral analyser.

I think luckyBenski's post covers the other points really well. The tech itself will not matter in terms of experience. You will get the same end result visually. What may differ is the life part I suppose, even then the panels seem to have lots of mitigations in place (reduced brightness vs larger panels) compensation cycles etc. People with panels going back to 2019 when lots more tweaks more made and using as a gaming monitor have been using them fine, myself included with 2.5k hours on a C9 with hud etc. Anecdotal of course but even if I got a WBC panel which I do not know, not too worried.

If a 48 fits and works for you, would be my choice period regardless of WBC or WBE, more bang for your buck, much cheaper etc. 42" is there if 48" is too big IMO, but if the 48" size is not an issue (it is for me) then would be my pick tbh.

R3X

R3X

Soldato

Depends on so much, is your retailer ok with you opening the box and using the product and sending it back?

I don't know what kind of retailer laws you have over there. Obviously you want to be in a situation where you could return an item and get your money back, there maybe also courier cost involved so check your exact TnCs and laws via the retailer.

Otherwise you could reject the order and let them know you want a full refund since the goods are not as advertised and it does not have Evo inside like it claims.

Since no one can for now figure out what panel is on the inside of your OLED, the other safer option would be an 48 C2 but again no guarantee you get Evo inside there so far only VT over on hdtv confirmed its an Evo panel inside but then he has that 7k meter to test it.

This could be one of those endless debates, sure business politics aside we all get that but we are the customer paying for something advertised to be Evo when its not Evo.

If it was me id probably wait for better clarification on the matter, but it depends if you got a good TV already or can wait. I too am still debating if I should reject my Order or not, I might try to re-schedule it to a much later on date.

Soldato
My LGC148 has arrived! I can't stop laughing at the size of it...the screen on the left is my old 32", the one on the right is 28", not sure if I'm going to keep them...I have the QD-OLED Dell on order, going to cancel that..this C1 is amazing!!! I work from home and will see how it is after 8 hours of work on Monday, but currently it's fantastic! I nearly went for the C242, but as this was under 1k with JL 5 year pro protection, I thought I'd give it a go...really pleased with it :)

Excuse the mess but too busy staring at it to tidy up!

Soldato
My LGC148 has arrived! I can't stop laughing at the size of it...the screen on the left is my old 32", the one on the right is 28", not sure if I'm going to keep them...I have the QD-OLED Dell on order, going to cancel that..this C1 is amazing!!! I work from home and will see how it is after 8 hours of work on Monday, but currently it's fantastic! I nearly went for the C242, but as this was under 1k with JL 5 year pro protection, I thought I'd give it a go...really pleased with it :)

That is a Fatboy, both in terms of awesome screen real estate and on screen being built :D

Looks like an awesome setup with triple monitors

Last edited:
Soldato
That is a Fatboy, both in terms of awesome screen real estate and on screen being built :D

Looks like an awesome setup with triple monitors

Yeah I'm not sure a game from 2007 is taxing my 3090 or showing off the OLED, but still nothing beats a Fatboy! (from distance :))

I have got Cyberpunk, but not even booted it up yet!

Associate
Yeah charging rip off prices for it and with old panels will wait till Black Friday or even Jan 2023 before buying the LG 42 inch, still too big really for a PC monitor imo.

LG must be having a good laugh at all the profit from these, even at a £999 would need to think about it still very expensive.
Will look at 34 inch QD OLED later this year and hope to hear about 38 inch QD OLED in 2023.

Why would you wait until January for crying out loud when you can get a C1 now for under £900

Soldato
@Radox-0 setup looks great, grats!

Thanks for the feedback on text clarity and ppi. When you've had some time I'd love to hear your further feedback on how you find it for productivity stuff, for example keeping scaling at 100% or increasing to 125% for e.g., whether it being a flat screen and not curved is an issue when reading text at outer edges, whether the glossy screen and reflections are a problem etc.

Thanks again, and enjoy!

P.S. damn nice speakers, what stack are you using there?

Having been working on it last few days can add some more details for productivity. It is pretty great in terms of real estate to work with, amazing in fact and I love it, used to it already size wise. Do a dual hat role of Project Manager / Consultant, so lots of plans, finance documents E-mails open etc rather then programming. For that reason snapping E-mails to one part / teams to another etc leaves a nice big section for my main projects / documents etc which works real nice. PPI already covered, find it sharp enough to use. For Scaling 125% is fine, but day in day out, have settled on 150% and find that works really well for me.

In terms of text, from distance I sit, 70cm - 80cm away from eye's to screen, no I cannot take it all in at once clearly. I can focus clearly on about 2/3 of the screen at once then eyes move around as needed. However for me, that is largely okay as what I can see is my primary documents I am working on while the bits outside my direct vision is my mailbox and the like. If it was curved, then I think it would help to bring things into the periphery most certainly. Also have a 34" ultrawide which is almost as wide and there the edges coming in do help vs it being entirely flat.

The glossy aspect is a funny one, reflections are visible no doubt about it, however once I am going in terms of use, largely filter out the reflections. In terms of the room, for a few hours a day, there is a lot of sun lighting up area behind me, at that time can get decent amount of reflections, but tweaking the blinds makes it a non-issue. I think it is going to be down to how much you can filter it out and if you can control the light in the room.

Last comment is ABL is there. You will notice it if you have a large white document and as you open it up light will decrease, more so after it covering 70% or so of the monitor. In actual use, its actually not too bad dimming the brightness slightly from having a large white document open which can be intense so for me actually works out okay.

TLDR, working pretty nice for work and gaming alike. Even streaming apps like netflix 4k look very nice vs my big OLED, partly down to the PPI I expect being much higher so things do look very good. Factors that will need to be weighed is if you can control room lighting at times, distance of monitor to eyes will dictate how much you can take in one go etc.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
He means 48"
Yeah I think he knows that. He is trying to say this thread is about the 42” model which most are obviously interested in. The 48” C1 could be had for around £750 a few months ago. Current pricing on those is a bit crap. Only one worth mentioning is the John Lewis one and that is because of the accidental damage protection includes burn in.

Soldato
Last comment is ABL is there. You will notice it if you have a large white document and as you open it up light will decrease, more so after it covering 70% or so of the monitor. In actual use, its actually not too bad dimming the brightness slightly from having a large white document open which can be intense so for me actually works out okay
This is one of the main things I notice. Then it also does it on game menus but only if I'm playing something with a very long time spent fiddling with equipment or similar. The other trigger is when I'm moderating on Twitch so a large portion of the screen is static menus and the video is quite static too.

Being time based it's not that offensive and I just hit ALT+TAB to snap it back to full brightness, if it's bothering me. You only need 1 frame with a different average brightness to trigger it.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Having been working on it last few days can add some more details for productivity. It is pretty great in terms of real estate to work with, amazing in fact and I love it, used to it already size wise. Do a dual hat role of Project Manager / Consultant, so lots of plans, finance documents E-mails open etc rather then programming. For that reason snapping E-mails to one part / teams to another etc leaves a nice big section for my main projects / documents etc which works real nice. PPI already covered, find it sharp enough to use. For Scaling 125% is fine, but day in day out, have settled on 150% and find that works really well for me.

In terms of text, from distance I sit, 70cm - 80cm away from eye's to screen, no I cannot take it all in at once clearly. I can focus clearly on about 2/3 of the screen at once then eyes move around as needed. However for me, that is largely okay as what I can see is my primary documents I am working on while the bits outside my direct vision is my mailbox and the like. If it was curved, then I think it would help to bring things into the periphery most certainly. Also have a 34" ultrawide which is almost as wide and there the edges coming in do help vs it being entirely flat.

The glossy aspect is a funny one, reflections are visible no doubt about it, however once I am going in terms of use, largely filter out the reflections. In terms of the room, for a few hours a day, there is a lot of sun lighting up area behind me, at that time can get decent amount of reflections, but tweaking the blinds makes it a non-issue. I think it is going to be down to how much you can filter it out and if you can control the light in the room.

Last comment is ABL is there. You will notice it if you have a large white document and as you open it up light will decrease, more so after it covering 70% or so of the monitor. In actual use, its actually not too bad dimming the brightness slightly from having a large white document open which can be intense so for me actually works out okay.

TLDR, working pretty nice for work and gaming alike. Even streaming apps like netflix 4k look very nice vs my big OLED, partly down to the PPI I expect being much higher so things do look very good. Factors that will need to be weighed is if you can control room lighting at times, distance of monitor to eyes will dictate how much you can take in one go etc.
Sounds awesome man. If my Alienware QD-OLED does not impress me when it arrives soon I may just wait until Black Friday or a there abouts to pick one up. I much prefer glossy personally, as you say, can control lighting in the room and eyes adjust. Better than having a coating on top imo.

Associate
My lovely wifey got me one of these for birthday and it’s getting delivered on Tuesday so it looks like I’m joining the club.
Will be third LG oled in my flat. :D

Associate

How deep is this desk ?
Setup looks amazing

Associate
Probably go blind after looking at all those screens, my eyes couldn't handle the light from a 48'' C1 would also get motion sickness playing any fast game lol.

ssmacc monitor setup.

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato

Sounds good, try Flux : https://justgetflux.com/

It is a god send for eyes and headaches, you can adjust the slider quickly also. Its basically like windows night mode or LGs comfort eye mode but gives you better control and access to find the sweet spot for your eyes comfort level.

I can't recall ABL kicking in when I used it on my CX, but that's probably since it reduces the colours to an eye comfort setting. Probably wont be so good if doing critical work or graphics stuff though. I switch mine off during high quality viewing or HDR 4K content naturally.

Back
Top Bottom