LG 42-inch OLED

Associate
OP
So yesterday I've got the 42C2 and it's a wonderful screen! The pixels are so sharp and crisp, really loving the high ppi!
Picture is superb too! No need to change settings which I'm very surprised about that. I had to change many settings on my LG A7V as the out of the box really sucked. I use Expert1 mode on my A7.
On 42C2, no need. And the most surprising, in case you have a 1440p GPU like the GTX1080Ti, you can use Standard preset mode on 1440p and the inputlag is surprisingly very low! So you don't have to use Game Mode Optimizer. Standard preset looks better than Game Mode. To get an idea how very responsive: I use 1440p60. So probably even faster on 1440p120. In case you go 4K60, then yes, inputlag is noticeable but not that bad in driving games or storymode games. Netflix looks damn beautiful too! I'm just loving this screen!

However, there is one thing that's very unfortunate. It causes nauseous. Is it because of big screen or I'm sensitive? I'll have to check again later if it's really me being sensitive or not.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Probably go blind after looking at all those screens, my eyes couldn't handle the light from a 48'' C1 would also get motion sickness playing any fast game lol.

ssmacc monitor setup.

Try as I suggested above with Flux, big fan of it and without it wouldn't be able to use any monitor or TV up close. It solved my headaches and eye fatigue/strain issues, I still have 20/20 vision past 15 years thanks to it also.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
So yesterday I've got the 42C2 and it's a wonderful screen! The pixels are so sharp and crisp, really loving the high ppi!
Picture is superb too! No need to change settings which I'm very surprised about that. I had to change many settings on my LG A7V as the out of the box really sucked. I use Expert1 mode on my A7.
On 42C2, no need. And the most surprising, in case you have a 1440p GPU like the GTX1080Ti, you can use Standard preset mode on 1440p and the inputlag is surprisingly very low! So you don't have to use Game Mode Optimizer. Standard preset looks better than Game Mode. To get an idea how very responsive: I use 1440p60. So probably even faster on 1440p120. In case you go 4K60, then yes, inputlag is noticeable but not that bad in driving games or storymode games. Netflix looks damn beautiful too! I'm just loving this screen!

However, there is one thing that's very unfortunate. It causes nauseous. Is it because of big screen or I'm sensitive? I'll have to check again later if it's really me being sensitive or not.

I still recommend tuning it a little, best 2 guides are for the older C1 series so naming might differ on C2 a little but most of the settings should be similar.

Vincents hdtvtest

I like this one bit more easier and does similar as above:

Probably experiencing a motion setting, filmmaker mode (most accurate picture quality) should switch off any motion enchantments. Also bare in mind you need a good 50hrs if not 200hrs to make your OLED more settled in, this can improve motion or stutter also. My CX needed 3 weeks before it went smooth.

Good to hear you are enjoying the 42 C2.

According to Value electronics an US store that tested the C2, they noticed in testing that LG has pre-calibrated it much closer and accurate (like TV calibrators do) out the box, so you should have excellent picture quality from the get go.

Associate
OP
Hmm, thanks, so it's the motions that causes the nauseous? Will check them out. Though I have switched off all motion enchantments but will try the settings.
The weird thing, causeous occurs when gaming. But maybe I'll need to take my time to see when and how.

And yes, the Standard preset looks the best. I'm surprised LG finally calibrated which removes the need to change settings.

Soldato
Hmm, thanks, so it's the motions that causes the nauseous? Will check them out. Though I have switched off all motion enchantments but will try the settings.
The weird thing, causeous occurs when gaming. But maybe I'll need to take my time to see when and how.

And yes, the Standard preset looks the best. I'm surprised LG finally calibrated which removes the need to change settings.

Can be a combination of things and not unheard of for people changing to bigger monitors / ultrawide. Larger size, if you got it bright, oled behaviour (very fast response etc).

Try lowering brightness and if you can push back abit and see how you fair.

Associate

Whack that contrast down to 85 if stuck at 100 too. Ignore anyone that suggests it should be higher for SDR content.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Good points, it could also be if you are coming from an LED TV? the motion is different it can take your brain and eyes a few weeks to adjust to it.

One thing that Avforums settings video does is it adjust the picture settings for each mode, when you play a a game or HDR movie or netflix streaming you have different picture modes (SDR, Gaming, HDR DV and HDR 10) so you have to make sure all of them are set up right, this throws off many people early on and why I like Avforums set up video best it covers every picture mode so you can't get it wrong really.

Associate
@SilverRST it is most likely due to motion in your peripheral vision which means you are sitting too close to it.
It’s the same effect that people are getting with VR headsets.

Associate
Don't want the 48'' C1 is too massive, even the 42'' is too big for me as a PC monitor lol.
Main problem it's 4K so need a lot better GPU like 4080 so no rush to buy till next year.

What a load of crap you're talking m8. A 3080 is enough for 4K ALREADY. Absolutely no need to wait for products that don't exist yet. Also 48'' being so called "massive" is quite over-exaggerated. Some people own much larger TV's. If you can put it a few feet back it is doable for a monitor.

Associate
OP
Yeah, I come from LED monitor, BenQ GW2280 to be very specific. BenQ monitors are usually known for great eye care. Does that explain why aside other factors?

@SilverRST it is most likely due to motion in your peripheral vision which means you are sitting too close to it.
It’s the same effect that people are getting with VR headsets.
Yeah, I turned off TruMotion, had no idea it was set on 'Natural'. The nauseous no more occurs but headache does. Well, not really headache, more like fatiguing headache without pain.
I've read a lot about the issues when going VR.

Thank you all for the very informative replies. I thought it was me but apparently I'm not alone.

So far impressions:
ABL is indeed noticeable but not bad at all. You won't even notice it in games and movies. Only when there is full screen like grey banding test.
The HUD in The Crew 2 looks like its brightness has been toned but this doesn't affect the gameplay at all so you can just enjoy the landscapes. Same with GTA.
When gaming at 1440p, you don't need Game Optimizer, you can just use Standard mode as the inputlag is very low.
Series and movies in Netflix looks astounding too. This all makes the 42C2 great for gaming and movies without a doubt.

Associate
[/QUOTE]
What a load of crap you're talking m8. A 3080 is enough for 4K ALREADY. Absolutely no need to wait for products that don't exist yet. Also 48'' being so called "massive" is quite over-exaggerated. Some people own much larger TV's. If you can put it a few feet back it is doable for a monitor.

No not buying a useless overpriced old 3080 when a 4080 is what I need for 4k DUH.....

Have a 3060Ti which is good enought at 1440p, so will upgrade to a 4080 and 4K sometime next year so that's my plan like it or not Lol.
Yeah 48'' is really really massive PC monitor it's ok for a TV/ console gaming though.

Last edited:
Associate

No not buying a useless overpriced old 3080 when a 4080 is what I need for 4k DUH.....

Have a 3060Ti which is good enought at 1440p, so will upgrade to a 4080 and 4K sometime next year so that's my plan like it or not Lol.
Yeah 48'' is really really massive PC monitor it's ok for a TV/ console gaming though.

Haha a 3080 is "useless" now??? What world you living in... 3060Ti is the ultimate definition of useless junk. Btw you won't be getting a 4080 anytime in the near future and if you think they won't be majorly price hiked you're in for a reality check.

48'' doesn't look very big at all in that photo placed next to the monitors. I could be tricked into thinking that was a 42".

Soldato
My LGC148 has arrived! I can't stop laughing at the size of it...the screen on the left is my old 32", the one on the right is 28", not sure if I'm going to keep them...I have the QD-OLED Dell on order, going to cancel that..this C1 is amazing!!! I work from home and will see how it is after 8 hours of work on Monday, but currently it's fantastic! I nearly went for the C242, but as this was under 1k with JL 5 year pro protection, I thought I'd give it a go...really pleased with it :)

Excuse the mess but too busy staring at it to tidy up!
Is that Supreme Commander 2 FA?

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Yeah, I come from LED monitor, BenQ GW2280 to be very specific. BenQ monitors are usually known for great eye care. Does that explain why aside other factors?

Yeah, I turned off TruMotion, had no idea it was set on 'Natural'. The nauseous no more occurs but headache does. Well, not really headache, more like fatiguing headache without pain.
I've read a lot about the issues when going VR.

Thank you all for the very informative replies. I thought it was me but apparently I'm not alone.

So far impressions:
ABL is indeed noticeable but not bad at all. You won't even notice it in games and movies. Only when there is full screen like grey banding test.
The HUD in The Crew 2 looks like its brightness has been toned but this doesn't affect the gameplay at all so you can just enjoy the landscapes. Same with GTA.
When gaming at 1440p, you don't need Game Optimizer, you can just use Standard mode as the inputlag is very low.
Series and movies in Netflix looks astounding too. This all makes the 42C2 great for gaming and movies without a doubt.

Yup always takes time from LED to OLED, the motions instant so your eyes and brain are almost having to adjust to it. The headache thing could be its too bright with OLED light set too high, distance between you and screen, general eye health ie if glasses are correct or if eye health is correct. I also use Flux free software in Windows to also reduce my eye strain and headaches it works well, you may wish to try it. LG should have it within the menu its called comfort eye I believe or something like that.

There are just some odd cases where people can't actually handle OLED and never get on with it and have to go back to LED, hopefully not for you though.

The ABL is important its the main burn in protection system, you got several other things running in the back ground though so technically burn in shouldn't exist with all that going on (to be confirmed in 3-4 years time though).

The LG will only get better with future firmware updates.

Associate
Currys have the 42C2 in stock now. Got a text with a scheduled delivery date of Saturday 2nd April.

I went onto their live chat and managed to bring delivery forward to Tuesday 29th March.

Associate
The ABL is important its the main burn in protection system, you got several other things running in the back ground though so technically burn in shouldn't exist with all that going on (to be confirmed in 3-4 years time though).

The LG will only get better with future firmware updates.
ABL has nothing to do with burn in protection and more to do with energy efficiency requirements.

Back
Top Bottom