LG 42-inch OLED

R3X

R3X

Soldato
It's definitely in the menus somewhere, I saw it when mucking around earlier today. Unfortunately I can't remember where :p.

Yup very well hidden and deep in the settings!

Control panel button>all settings>General>System>Additional Settings>Standby light toggle to off

You can also set Home settings Home auto launch and even home promotion to Off that way it starts up quicker without all the start up screens, apps and menus.

Soldato
Is it a bug?
The only way to know (it seems) whether you got a new panel in your C2, or an old panel from a few years ago, is the new better panels have a pink tint when seen from certain angles. So the pink must be inherant somehow, either as part of one of the coatings or due to some refractive property.

Your right, it is not a bug, rather part the parcel now. The "WBE" panels do indeed exhibit a pink tint which can be more pronounced at certain angles with a lot of white content on screen. In most instances its not something most will notice and is not a bug. It became apparent last year with G1 and C1 as some of those started using the "WBE" ones. Prior gens did not use the updated panels.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Has there been any updates on an easy way to tell between the old WBC and the new WBE panels in the 42" C2?

I posted a website few days back with a tip someone mentioned its here:

https://techunwrapped.com/not-all-l...t-that-the-manufacturer-insists-that-they-do/

But like others have said, I don't think it works well enough so take it with some salt, mines half blue and half pink for example, chances are we all have WBC panels or the original OLED panels. You could wait till this fall to get one with the Evo, or at least till someone figures it out properly to see what's what.

So for now only an 7K meter called Jeti 1511 spectral can do it.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Cheers Silver, posted it above also I disabled the home auto launch settings one also to speed up boot time

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Someone on Avf mentioned they have an 77" Sony A80J which is confirmed with an Evo panel inside but no pink tint seen.

It doesn't feel its an reliable method but guess someone will figure it out or ill start a go fund me Jeti meter... and promise to not do a runner :p

Associate
OP
Cheers Silver, posted it above also I disabled the home auto launch settings one also to speed up boot time
You're welcome. And silly me, totally forgot the long press.

It's not possible to disable ABL using IR? The picture is truly magnificent! I still cannot believe you can just use Standard mode when gaming at 1440p.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
You're welcome. And silly me, totally forgot the long press.

It's not possible to disable ABL using IR? The picture is truly magnificent! I still cannot believe you can just use Standard mode when gaming at 1440p.

ABL can't be disabled as far as I am aware, only the ABSL can usually easiest way is with an LG service remote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omuKIy_AL6c

Only wise if you know what you are doing since its the engineers menu, one wrong button and you could be in trouble.

Associate
ABL can't be disabled as far as I am aware, only the ABSL can usually easiest way is with an LG service remote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omuKIy_AL6c

Only wise if you know what you are doing since its the engineers menu, one wrong button and you could be in trouble.
Yep been fiddling with the service menu on my oleds as my Logitech Harmony has those buttons and pressed a button called "in stop" or something like that which wiped all of my settings with no warning or confirmation lol.
But now I’m returning this C2 tomorrow this button will be quite useful.

Soldato
@Radox-0 How's it going with a few extra productivity days behind you? Still happy, anything bugging you?

Hi bud. Very much enjoying it for productivity and pretty used to its size. Was made well aware when I went into the office yesterday and hooked work laptop up to a smaller screen in the office.

Very used to it, largely put the reflections which can happen out the mind and used to it now. Comments for that though largely stand as before if you can control the lights and cover against direct sunlight then it becomes a non-issue entirely.

Still mostly tend to focus on parts of the screen directly rather then take everything in at once, though I did that to an extent anyways with an ultrawide so not really new for me. However for my workflow that is fine, as before I keep documents / project plans in my main view then litter other programmes around the edge and what have you, works very well for me.

The ABL can cause some trickery at times, what I mean is if I have a grey document open, so PDF with images on it (so basically not loads of white), but then move to say a full screen white notepad, they you can notice the brightness change. In normal use its not a massive issue per say as usually my windows as all similar size, but something to note.

Overall still want to check some things. I have not seen the screen yet dim compared to my larger OLED when there is just static content like documents on and I am just reading them. That though may be due to my larger one is normally much higher brightness levels for games room, but something I need to just check as days go by with it. Could be due to the fact I have set OLED light to relatively low on the 42" for comfort as its close to my face it does not need to drop more.

Associate
Hi bud. Very much enjoying it for productivity and pretty used to its size. Was made well aware when I went into the office yesterday and hooked work laptop up to a smaller screen in the office.

Very used to it, largely put the reflections which can happen out the mind and used to it now. Comments for that though largely stand as before if you can control the lights and cover against direct sunlight then it becomes a non-issue entirely.

Still mostly tend to focus on parts of the screen directly rather then take everything in at once, though I did that to an extent anyways with an ultrawide so not really new for me. However for my workflow that is fine, as before I keep documents / project plans in my main view then litter other programmes around the edge and what have you, works very well for me.

The ABL can cause some trickery at times, what I mean is if I have a grey document open, so PDF with images on it (so basically not loads of white), but then move to say a full screen white notepad, they you can notice the brightness change. In normal use its not a massive issue per say as usually my windows as all similar size, but something to note.

Overall still want to check some things. I have not seen the screen yet dim compared to my larger OLED when there is just static content like documents on and I am just reading them. That though may be due to my larger one is normally much higher brightness levels for games room, but something I need to just check as days go by with it. Could be due to the fact I have set OLED light to relatively low on the 42" for comfort as its close to my face it does not need to drop more.

This had concerned me too actually, as I was only thinking of buying the C2 42" because the new dell monitor is out of stock until september and I wanted an oled screen haha. Did wonder if the "tv" aspects would make it a problem as a daily-use monitor though.

Associate
Early thoughts on the 42C2 are, its the best picture quality I have seen on any TV, very pin sharp and detailed.

Straight away I noticed few difference though compared to my OLED CX from 2020

Which model do you find to be brighter? 48CX or 42C2?

Is ABL less on the C2?

Last edited:
Soldato
This had concerned me too actually, as I was only thinking of buying the C2 42" because the new dell monitor is out of stock until september and I wanted an oled screen haha. Did wonder if the "tv" aspects would make it a problem as a daily-use monitor though.

To be honest the TV aspects make it a non issue. Sure can be finicky in menus using remote Vs say joystick/ buttons most monitors have to config and setup initially. Also if your you have things very bright and oled lighting cranked up may see a reduction in brightness when abl kicks when things go white in larger windows. However if you have the brightness more reasonable for a desk distance, ABL does not seem as strong as it would dim close to the normal level you view things at anyways. The one thing is the screen dimming when left on pages for too long, was paying more attention this morning to it and that does happen. Bolding this as it can be a big deal for some. Oddly not noticed in one white documents, more when reading forums :cry: You do not notice it initially, but if you then move the entire window it becomes apparent as it brightens up again.

For size love it. For context been using a 3440x1440 panel since 2014 @ 34" (LG then ASUS with higher refresh rates / G-Sync added along the way) and find the 42" much more preferable for work use and play (though no fair on latter given prior panels have not been OLED). I do not think you will go wrong either way tbh, the Alianware looks amazing too, depends what your after really. For me having used 3440 x 1440 @34" for 3/4 of a decade, wanted something different.

Associate
Received the replacement today and it’s even worse than the first one which tells me they are mostly like that as it’s in the same spot.
Already seen red tint on the left side as I was setting it up.
It’s easily visible on 1% grey but I can see is literally everywhere whenever there is near black content displayed.
It’s also visible on white colours as green tint.
For me that’s unacceptable on a display that expensive so will be returning it for a refund and probably wait for 4K QD Oled gaming monitors.
Will give it maybe a couple of days and if it doesn’t improve it’s going back.

4-BD11-C35-5-D0-D-4-F95-A561-86-BC2-ED6-A176.jpg

4-CA85-F55-C398-442-F-94-FD-C2-F9-AFA07-E03.jpg

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Which model do you find to be brighter? 48CX or 42C2?

Is ABL less on the C2?

I would say its pretty much the same as the CX really, the image quality and brightness is similar certainly would not recommend upgrading or changing over to the newer C2 over it, its just not enough to warrant it imo. If you are looking to change due to the lesser size then that is different, if you can get buy with the 48" or above then keep it.

ABL I seen very little but I don't game or use it too much as a monitor, my main daily monitor is still an 28" 4K monitor, check Radox opinions above regarding ABL since he reviews it well.

Associate
Received the replacement today and it’s even worse than the first one which tells me they are mostly like that as it’s in the same spot.
It’s easily visible on 1% grey but I can see is literally everywhere whenever there is near black content displayed.
For me that’s unacceptable on a display that expensive so will be returning it for a refund and probably wait for 4K QD Oled gaming monitors.

Ouch that looks pretty terrible, worrying to see it's the exact same on both the ones you've had too. Has me worried about the state of their QC and what mine will be like when it arrives this weekend.

I guess maybe a couple days of pixel refreshes may help a bit, but this definitely isn't right. Tested my CX the day I got it and it was flawless.

R3X

R3X

Soldato

That's a real shame could it be Rs got a bad batch? Maybe worth trying curries or mr lewis

I get the same issue with the white screen on mine I think, well its blueish on left not quite green.

I do have 0% black and 1% grey slides somewhere, I can run it in pitch black and post pics if you want?

Associate
That's a real shame could it be Rs got a bad batch? Maybe worth trying curries or mr lewis

I get the same issue with the white screen on mine I think, well its blueish on left not quite green.

I do have 0% black and 1% grey slides somewhere, I can run it in pitch black and post pics if you want?

just display something black and up black level in settings until it starts getting grey (around 60-65)

Back
Top Bottom