LG 42-inch OLED

Soldato
Yep your right, its not obvious but its Cinema home. When in Cinema Home you get a Like O. symbol next to the text in conjunction with some settings you turn on. Will mess around further I think. Ta

Looking back at this, never used the AI stuff before as usually meh on LG last few gens, but need it for Dolby IQ, got to say, really does look good and improve things IMO. Seen video's out today sort of confirming it, a nice step up with the processor in that regards vs last year and is now much more targeted in improving highlights vs elevating the whole pic. Worth giving it a shot if you flick over to watching content.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Have you got the gamma set to 2.2? I had the same problem with my c1 because all the settings videos i saw said bt1886 was the way to go. I used the hvs hd 709 test disk to calibrate the brightness and had to up it to 54. Then i had the idea to up the gamma and drop the brightness back to 50 and since then i couldn't be more pleased with it, even the colors look more correct. I did do this on my second month of having it so power on time may be an issue for you.

Oh you reminded me I did actually set it to Gamma 2.2 well it was greyed out and defaulted to 2.2 anyhow on both PC and plex, the other 3 guys also said the same thing for me to try so you are correct and point, gamma 2.2 and then black level 53 or 54 then after 100 hours or a month set black level back to 50 hopefully its as good as you guys got it.

thanks for the confirmation though, it sounds like I should get over this crushed black issue, I am only 50 hours usage so its just been a week.

Bit odd though other calibrators and settings guides recommend BT.1886 and it even defaults to it.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Another C1 vs C2 review, also goes into detail the OLED judder and mentions the black crush issue a bit on the C2s.

He likes the motion performance improvement, improved reds and cpu speed on the c2. Also says the flicker issue is less on the C2. Does also say the if you got the C1 not really worth the upgrade.

Associate
I'm being very cautious about getting excited here, but regarding the frustrating issue I've been having where I would get No Signal when turning on my PC practically every single time, and having to toggle HDMI Deep Colour or VRR repeatedly until eventually getting a working picture.. testing every Nvidia/Windows/TV setting going, wiping and reinstalling drivers, even installing Windows 11 ( :( )..

I finally got my PS5 back from a relative and swapped out the HDMI's I'd been trying with the PC (Zeskit Maya's, heard they were one of the best from researching) with the cable that came with the PS5.. and for the past 2 hours of testing.. it's yet to fail once!

I really hope the issue really was an unlucky couple of bad cables (tried two of the Zeskit Maya's which are supposed to easily handle the signal and be good quality). Will continue testing today and with general usage going forward and pray it doesn't start happening again, but very cautiously optimistic.

I guess word of advice is test as many god damn HDMI cables as you can if you're having signal issues!

Associate
@chivs688 not had that issue even once on my BX, C1 and C2 TVs using cheap YIWENTEC 3 and 5 meters cables running at 4K 120hz RGB 10bit with HDR and VRR enabled. (3080 FE)

Associate
Yeah it is seeming like a very inconsistent issue between people from my reading up on it and replies here, but when someone does have it they have it constantly.

Is why I'm cautious to think it's fixed by this other cable, as I'm sure many other with the issue have tried many cables, and I tried a few different ones myself.

Only common thing I've noticed is it seems every person with the issue has an Nvidia GPU. Seen reports of the same issue going back as far as an LG B7 !

I also didn't have this issue on my CX, even with the same cable as was failing on the C2.

All very strange.

Soldato
HDTV test has video up. On Evo vs non-Evo, largely what I expected few pages back. its not the panel type rather then processor and tech that allows it to be marketed as EVO. Can see on web page that the EVO term is used in relation to the SOC. Also highlights bit of the pink tint lol I mentioned few pages back. From a viewing perspective given everything else is the same WBC in actually better as less pink tint if you have one :cry:

Lack of 120hz BFI is not ideal for those who use it (I do not). Also his sample did get the cool cyan tint around edges which is pretty common full field white.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I guess word of advice is test as many god damn HDMI cables as you can if you're having signal issues!

Glad you got it sorted, been there many times, I once ended up with 12 hdmi cables all failed to get 4K @ 60hertz, including an 99 quid hdmi cable which had the pass certificate etc went to poundland and picked up that 99p hdmi cable it worked first time.

I think it was since it was an 1 metre thick cable and I was trying to get 3 metre ones to do my OCD routing around the desk.

Those hdmi holographic logos and pass certificates have very little meaning imo, you just have to keep getting one till it works sadly.

I prefer Ibrah 2.1 hdmi cables (orange and black), not let me down yet.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
HDTV test has video up. On Evo vs non-Evo, largely what I expected few pages back. its not the panel type rather then processor and tech that allows it to be marketed as EVO. Can see on web page that the EVO term is used in relation to the SOC. Also highlights bit of the pink tint lol I mentioned few pages back. From a viewing perspective given everything else is the same WBC in actually better as less pink tint if you have one :cry:

Lack of 120hz BFI is not ideal for those who use it (I do not). Also his sample did get the cool cyan tint around edges which is pretty common full field white.

So LG pretty much said no such thing as an Evo panel :p Only Vincent and his £7000 metre can tell the difference :cry:

I think nearly all new 42" C2 owners have the WBC panel.

If you check the LG engineers menu and module info 2 it says 00/00/1/03, it means we have WBC.

This is Vincents 42" confirmed WBC display:

MLu2u2.jpg

Here is his WBE panel on the 48"

ML7W5G.jpg

Mine says 00/00/1/03 also so its an WBC panel. Props go out to Byeol over on AVS for spotting that one out.

That pink shift at axis I don't think that means we have Evo or Ex or WBE.

I also get that blue tint on the sides like vincent mentioned, wondering if it ever goes away after more run in time or just stays the same.

Associate
White (non) uniformity is going to be a deal breaker for me as Im looking for a pc monitor not an exclusive media display and it seems to be a common issue with the 42" :(

Wonder if Sony's A90K will be better in this area or if this is an inherent problem with the actual panel. Wonder if the Samsung 43" QN90B will be an option...

Associate
White (non) uniformity is going to be a deal breaker for me as Im looking for a pc monitor not an exclusive media display and it seems to be a common issue with the 42" :(

Wonder if Sony's A90K will be better in this area or if this is an inherent problem with the actual panel. Wonder if the Samsung 43" QN90B will be an option...

To be fair, uniformity is a general OLED issue. I had to go through 4 LG CX to get one that was acceptable.

R3X

R3X

Soldato

You might still end up playing the panel lottery game with both Sony A90k and even the Samsung 43" QN90B, remember the Samsung 43" QN90B while it sounds good all the good tech is in the 55" and above, like improved viewing angles which you wont get on the 42" QN90b (Check the * its only for 55" on samsung site)

Id suspect the Sony A90k will be a cleaner and better looking panel, but if many 42" owners are seeing the blue tints on the side already id have thought even the Sony can't escape that. Apparently a calibration can improve that blue tint though, not the pink off axis tint though.

If you work with white backgrounds a lot for your day job, id guess it might become frustrating somewhat.

Associate
HDTV test has video up. On Evo vs non-Evo, largely what I expected few pages back. its not the panel type rather then processor and tech that allows it to be marketed as EVO. Can see on web page that the EVO term is used in relation to the SOC. Also highlights bit of the pink tint lol I mentioned few pages back. From a viewing perspective given everything else is the same WBC in actually better as less pink tint if you have one :cry: Lack of 120hz BFI is not ideal for those who use it (I do not). Also his sample did get the cool cyan tint around edges which is pretty common full field white.

So LG pretty much said no such thing as an Evo panel :p Only Vincent and his £7000 metre can tell the difference :cry: I think nearly all new 42" C2 owners have the WBC panel. If you check the LG engineers menu and module info 2 it says 00/00/1/03, it means we have WBC. This is Vincents 42" confirmed WBC display: Mine says 00/00/1/03 also so its an WBC panel. Props go out to Byeol over on AVS for spotting that one out. That pink shift at axis I don't think that means we have Evo or Ex or WBE. I also get that blue tint on the sides like vincent mentioned, wondering if it ever goes away after more run in time or just stays the same.

It's always best to wait for 2nd batch for OLED TV's:p

Korea statements from LG

"LG Electronics explained that it is true that WBC and WBE are mixed in the 42-inch OLED TV EVO, and that it is an unavoidable situation depending on LG Display's panel supply situation. WBE panels will be applied sequentially after 2Q."

https://kbench-com.translate.goog/?...l=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
It's always best to wait for 2nd batch for OLED TV's:p

Korea statements from LG

"LG Electronics explained that it is true that WBC and WBE are mixed in the 42-inch OLED TV EVO, and that it is an unavoidable situation depending on LG Display's panel supply situation. WBE panels will be applied sequentially after 2Q."

https://kbench-com.translate.goog/?...l=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Sure always better to wait but as you see in Vincents video above, with Evo WBE panels you can enjoy the pink tint more so, even vincent says he prefers the less pink tint shown on the WBC panel or the TVs you get now.

I think Radox said it 50 million times last week but now that Vincent has said it we can believe him :)

Associate
Sure always better to wait but as you see in Vincents video above, with Evo WBE panels you can enjoy the pink tint more so, even vincent says he prefers the less pink tint shown on the WBC panel or the TVs you get now.

I think Radox said it 50 million times last week but now that Vincent has said it we can believe him :)

my C1 has that pink tint as it’s the wbe panel but it’s only visible at extreme angles so not an issue at all especially when used as a monitor.

Soldato
Anyone prone to motion sickness / cyber sickness using the panels, if so how you fairing? Brother visited over weekend and loved the 42", but prone to the cyber sickness at times. Did not get a long enough chance for him to use it, so interested to hear if anyone else easily susceptible may be getting on anything you changed etc. Think I saw mention of few settings being tweaked.

Back
Top Bottom