LG 42-inch OLED

R3X

R3X

Soldato
my C1 has that pink tint as it’s the wbe panel but it’s only visible at extreme angles so not an issue at all especially when used as a monitor.

Oh good to hear, that sounds better then since you don't get the blue tint on the sides.

Wonder why vincent prefers the blue tint WBC over the pink tint WBE in his video, he compared it to his 48" C2 WBE panel very odd hopefully he talks
about it in his comparison full review.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Anyone prone to motion sickness / cyber sickness using the panels, if so how you fairing? Brother visited over weekend and loved the 42", but prone to the cyber sickness at times. Did not get a long enough chance for him to use it, so interested to hear if anyone else easily susceptible may be getting on anything you changed etc. Think I saw mention of few settings being tweaked.

I did advise Silver of Phils C2/G2 settings video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K27LomsyyZ0
which was basically just selecting Filmmaker mode since it auto switches off all processing, processing can introduce motion sickness and artefacts on screen since its adding or attempting to alter what you see.

Think he mentioned it here:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/35545194/

Thing is he still had that headache some users get due to that flicker issue in the OLEDs.

Your brother might just be coming from an LED TV or monitor so it can happen off the bat, it does take time to adjust to OLEDs instant response also.

If its in gaming however, not sure but its worth still trying filmmaker mode if it pops up I don't game so no devices to check.

Associate
Oh good to hear, that sounds better then since you don't get the blue tint on the sides.

Wonder why vincent prefers the blue tint WBC over the pink tint WBE in his video, he compared it to his 48" C2 WBE panel very odd hopefully he talks
about it in his comparison full review.

there still is the blue tint to the sides but to a lesser degree.

Associate
OP
Anyone prone to motion sickness / cyber sickness using the panels, if so how you fairing? Brother visited over weekend and loved the 42", but prone to the cyber sickness at times. Did not get a long enough chance for him to use it, so interested to hear if anyone else easily susceptible may be getting on anything you changed etc. Think I saw mention of few settings being tweaked.
Completely disable all of the motion related settigs like TruMotion. That's high likely the culprit why we get motion sick.

I never understand the motion BS to be honest. I mean, movies and series in their original framerates, like the 23.937fps or something, feels way too unnaturel to me when using motion.
I disable all of them. Never have gotten the motion sickness since disabled.

Associate
Completely disable all of the motion related settigs like TruMotion. That's high likely the culprit why we get motion sick.

I never understand the motion BS to be honest. I mean, movies and series in their original framerates, like the 23.937fps or something, feels way too unnaturel to me when using motion.

The question is why would anyone use any kind of motion processing while using it as a monitor when it adds massive amount of input lag.
Just use PC mode with game optimised picture and tweak colours to be more natural.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The question is why would anyone use any kind of motion processing while using it as a monitor when it adds massive amount of input lag.
Just use PC mode with game optimised picture and tweak colours to be more natural.
Regarding the motion processing while using it as a monitor, yeah, it boggles my mind.

And regarding the input lag, I have a 1080Ti so it's a 1440p GPU and when I still had the 42C2, I'm surprised I can just use the Standard mode instead of Game mode because the input lag is very low.
There is no reason to use the Game mode as that mode has kinda crappy colors and contrast. Standard mode is the best when gaming 1440p. I tried 2160p60 and yeah, input lag is a bit high :p
But I don't mind 1440p at all and I've got no reason to get the 3080Ti or something.

Associate
Hi all,

I'm looking to for a new monitor and from reading this thread the 42 C2 really sounds like its for me but I would like to know from you all who have it and used it how you all find it?

My main uses will using it as a computer monitor (gaming) and working from home, spreadsheets outlook etc. Love the idea of all the screen real estate.

So, how do you find the 42 C2 for work and overall?

Soldato
I did advise Silver of Phils C2/G2 settings video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K27LomsyyZ0
which was basically just selecting Filmmaker mode since it auto switches off all processing, processing can introduce motion sickness and artefacts on screen since its adding or attempting to alter what you see.

Think he mentioned it here:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/35545194/

Thing is he still had that headache some users get due to that flicker issue in the OLEDs.

Your brother might just be coming from an LED TV or monitor so it can happen off the bat, it does take time to adjust to OLEDs instant response also.

If its in gaming however, not sure but its worth still trying filmmaker mode if it pops up I don't game so no devices to check.

Ta thanks both, will offer these as solutions if he does go for the TV. He will be using it for 90% work mostly so expect motion should not be an issue. For gaming he is mostly a casual but sounds like above are some solutions in the even he does go for it and encounters any motion issues.

Associate
OP
Hi all,

I'm looking to for a new monitor and from reading this thread the 42 C2 really sounds like its for me but I would like to know from you all who have it and used it how you all find it?

My main uses will using it as a computer monitor (gaming) and working from home, spreadsheets outlook etc. Love the idea of all the screen real estate.

So, how do you find the 42 C2 for work and overall?
If I wasn't sensitive to flicker, I definitely would have kept the 42C2. It's the greatest 42" OLED monitor/tv I've ever had so far and this is coming from a guy who's been using a 22" VA monitor for the past 4-5 years. I think 42" is the best size for big immersive gaming, you really feel you're IN the game/movie! Been flying in a jet in GTAV and seeing all the landscape was kinda unreal. Never happened to me this before.

Ta thanks both, will offer these as solutions if he does go for the TV. He will be using it for 90% work mostly so expect motion should not be an issue. For gaming he is mostly a casual but sounds like above are some solutions in the even he does go for it and encounters any motion issues.
Motion should be completely disabled, period. The first evening I could try it was unreal. I had sever nausea and headache and had many times I almost had to puke, not kidding. I couldn't eat and drink just after 30 minutes of use!!! Fortunately I recovered pretty much the next day, tried what R3X told me and am sooo glad it was the motion crap so there is still hope for me. Hopefully it will be all good for both of you! I'm wondering how such thing can make a human feel sick.

I'm a casual gamer too, I usually play GTA the most, GTAV/Online. And The Crew 2 too.

R3X

R3X

Soldato

Forgot also very important you have to go to home button>Home dashboard> 3 dot settings top right hand corner and edit inputs then set HDMI1 to PC
its not obvious but you get to rename the hdmi to PC but there are icons on the left which you can select and edit and set it to PC itself from the drop down list.

If its not set to PC this does some funky motion mishap, its actually a good idea to make sure all other HDMI sources are set up correct ie Satellite or Cable TV as Set top box etc

R3X

R3X

Soldato
On the topic of Processing causing issues, Vincent prefers sharpness be set to 0 from 10, adding sharpness to 10 while default that could mess up the picture or add extra artefacts on screen. Same applies with Tone mapping during HDR playback.

Its why vincent and Phil mention they are not sure why LG still put it like that on default, it should be off since its never worked properly.

Its crazy in 2022 one TV default setting could make your picture go wonky or make you feel like barfing :D

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Soldato
Forgot also very important you have to go to home button>Home dashboard> 3 dot settings top right hand corner and edit inputs then set HDMI1 to PC
its not obvious but you get to rename the hdmi to PC but there are icons on the left which you can select and edit and set it to PC itself from the drop down list.

If its not set to PC this does some funky motion mishap, its actually a good idea to make sure all other HDMI sources are set up correct ie Satellite or Cable TV as Set top box etc

Thanks, fortunately done from lessons with older LG OLEDS :D Mostly the motion blur bit, I do not get issues with it so can leave anything motion on fine, but brother gets hit with it hard so good to see some suggestions for him to look into if he gets the panel from those who did have issues.

Associate
OP
The guys over on AVS are levels above with this technical stuff, I catched 2 post that might be worth a read for you regarding flicker, VRR might be useful
in future stuff

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/2022-lg-c2-g2-owners-thread-no-price-talk.3236262/post-61581934

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/2022-lg-c2-g2-owners-thread-no-price-talk.3236262/post-61583354
You're probably mistaken, it's not the VRR flicker I'm talking about. It's the PWM dimming. My current monitor uses DC dimming.
For example, open yt app and use the grey testing and use your smartphone camera. You'll see and understand what I mean.

Associate
You're probably mistaken, it's not the VRR flicker I'm talking about. It's the PWM dimming. My current monitor uses DC dimming.
For example, open yt app and use the grey testing and use your smartphone camera. You'll see and understand what I mean.

PWM dimming does not exist on OLED TVs, does it? There's a refresh cycle that may induce a small dip but nothing like backlit LCD dimming, unless you enable black frame insertion that is.

Associate

Been using the 42" for a week now (programming work and some gaming) and I've been really suffering from motion/cyber sickness from it. Never really experienced this before, except for a couple times after a really long day in work in front of my 27" monitor, but with this C2 42 I'm getting it within an hour of using it.

I'm currently sat too close (60cm deep desk with the C2 just on it's feet at the back of the desk) which I think is almost definitely contributing to the nausea from being so close and from the fact that it's filling so much of my vision. Have a deeper desk arriving today and a monitor arm on order so hoping that helps out.

Also testing out settings to see if they help. Reducing contrast, brightness at low or max (seem to see both being suggested, think max comes from the "flicker" talk of which from what I can gather the LG OLEDs have essentially no flicker/such high frequency that it's irrelevant).

And read that adding bias lighting, whilst not necessarily helping out with cyber sickness, can help with eye strain which could influence it a bit. Alongside looking nice and aiding image quality. So will be trying that out too.

Saw suggestions of reducing blue light, but reading more into that it seems there's currently no science suggesting blue light influences eye strain or cyber sickness, just with the circadian rhythm.

Also maybe just needs a bit of time to get acclimatised to it, had it badly in VR for the first couple weeks of use, but gradually got a lot better.

I've owned a CX 55" for over a year now which has been in the living room for tv/movies/gaming, and not once had any cyber sickness from that. Obviously it's much further away from my eyes, so hoping that's an indicator that my C2 42 is just too close causing the issue, and nothing deeper than that.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm currently sat too close (60cm deep desk with the C2 just on it's feet at the back of the desk) which I think is almost definitely contributing to the nausea from being so close and from the fact that it's filling so much of my vision.
Yes that is usually the issue but it’s not something everyone is sensitive to.
I guess you could try running games and operating system in a window that is similar size to your old monitor to find out if that is the case and not oled itself.

Associate
Yes that is usually the issue but it’s not something everyone is sensitive to.
I guess you could try running games and operating system in a window that is similar size to your old monitor to find out if that is the case and not oled itself.

Yeah I've always had motion sickness in cars, and had it badly in VR for a few weeks before it subsided, so I assume I'm just sensitive to it.

With the screen being so big and close currently, it's pretty similar to being in VR with the amount of field of view of my eyes it's covering, so not surprised to get similar feeling (although to a lesser extent).

Have never had an issue with my CX, so in theory shouldn't be an inherent OLED issue.

Associate
OP
Yeah I've always had motion sickness in cars, and had it badly in VR for a few weeks before it subsided, so I assume I'm just sensitive to it.

With the screen being so big and close currently, it's pretty similar to being in VR with the amount of field of view of my eyes it's covering, so not surprised to get similar feeling (although to a lesser extent).

Have never had an issue with my CX, so in theory shouldn't be an inherent OLED issue.
It's indeed not inherent to OLED if you don't suffer from nausea with your CX. This nausea/cyber sickness highly likely is because of TruMotion. Disable it and you no longer should have nausea.
In fact, I have my A7V more about 3.5 years or more and never suffered nausea. I did notice some idiotic motion when watching 23fps movies/series being rendered like 100fps or something. I immediatly disabled it after a few minutes of setting the tv up. I can not tolerate that ****. I like to keep framerates original. High framerates movies/series feels so unnaturel and stupid to me.

The next day when I disabled TruMotion on my 42C2, I longer suffer from nausea. I sat about 60cm too.

And oh, years ago I had a wall lamp that flickered. You can't see the flickering when you look straight to it but I suffered from headache. Something with the dimming frequencies when the lamp is dimmed at lower brightness.

Back
Top Bottom