LG 42-inch OLED

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Edit, radox mentioned same deal the 42" @ 1.2k is much more worth while price due to LG cash back offer now:)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Some early reports are coming in on the Sony 42", appears Sony processing and cpu is been upped a lot for 2022 and the 42" was noticeable sharper and detailed then the aj90 flagship from last year, they do say they are using an thermal control system and an "high luminance panel"
maybe that means the WBE panel who knows.

I would have liked to go with the Sony but I know its going to come with that price tag also.
I would have liked to go with the Sony but feww reasons why I rather not:

-the absurd prices indeed. According the rumors, it's gonna be about €2199 or so. Yeah **** that
-high input lag
-aggressive ABL
-very late on the firmware updates and features

ABL is unfortunately very noticable in certain games. I wish there would be an option to disable it for certain content/games. My A7 from 2017 or 2018 high likely doesn't have ABL and so far no sigh on burn-ins.

-edit-

Sony being Sony...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdrfUpoMZok

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I would have liked to go with the Sony but feww reasons why I rather not:

-the absurd prices indeed. According the rumors, it's gonna be about €2199 or so. Yeah **** that
-high input lag
-aggressive ABL
-very late on the firmware updates and features

ABL is unfortunately very noticable in certain games. I wish there would be an option to disable it for certain content/games. My A7 from 2017 or 2018 high likely doesn't have ABL and so far no sigh on burn-ins.

-edit-

Sony being Sony...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdrfUpoMZok

Hear ya, there was someone who did an lag test I think it was an german demo of the 42" Sony and it still had pretty bad lag.

Sony seem to focus more on the movie experience and not so much gamers side of things, which is mental since they have one of the best games consoles on the market.

I am still intrigued to see the Sony since they do claim to work on that shadow detail problem which LG is well known to have problems with especially out the box. I still have issues with black shadow detail on my 42" with black crush, but not hit 100 hours use yet and apparently it should be miles better @ 250-300 hours.

Associate
OP
Hear ya, there was someone who did an lag test I think it was an german demo of the 42" Sony and it still had pretty bad lag.

Sony seem to focus more on the movie experience and not so much gamers side of things, which is mental since they have one of the best games consoles on the market.

I am still intrigued to see the Sony since they do claim to work on that shadow detail problem which LG is well known to have problems with especially out the box. I still have issues with black shadow detail on my 42" with black crush, but not hit 100 hours use yet and apparently it should be miles better @ 250-300 hours.
Yeah, Sony keeps making moronic and mental design choices that doesn't make sense. What's the point in having a Sony 42" OLED if they don't focus on gaming.
LG already did an excellent job on the colors like when watching Netflix. I don't even have to change any setting! I didn't know anything about the black shadow detail, I just got impressed by the great colors, contrast and the OLED beauty. Gaming side, yes, a lot of black details were absent in GTAV/Online. I couldn't see crap during the nights and Series A Bikers setup for example.

30", WOLED and glossy hopefully. Anti-glare/matte is hideous and QD-OLED proved that seeing Vincent his review. I mean, that **** applies to my LCD monitor too.
Glossy has only one issue which not cumbersome: reflective screen. I just close my curtains and problem solved. JOLED, ain't gonna happen because 1) extremely limited and 2) nothing is know so far regarding the burn-ins and 3) extremely expensive.

Associate
Gonna stick it here now but if anyone has any setup recommendations for the C2 I'd appreciate a prod in the right direction. I see many things but it's a little mad to get started. I see setting the HDMI input to PC etc.. but any recommended guides/setup instructions would be much appreciated!

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I still like Phils guide, its to the point and simple:

And yes its worth editing the hdmi 1 to PC and while you are there edit the others if they need it that is.

Dynamic tone mapping setting, maybe try both and go with what you like since Phil the AVforum tv calibrator along with others suggest to switch it off but others prefer it on, I have mine now switched on since it reduces black crush isue for me.

As with any OLED it does need that good 100 if not 300 hours run in, to make everything look and perform better.

Caporegime
As a note if anyone was interested as keeping eye out for brother to get one. Its a bit of a pain compared to upfront saving, but from tomorrow get cashback on all 2022 models purchased from most places until 1st of June. Will get £100 cashback with the 42" https://www.lgtvcashback.com/

Currently best retailer is LG direct from there site as they have a 2% off then 5% off voucher if you make an account with them which will knock 42" down to £1300 then with the above cashback will come in around £1200.
Cheers for that - come to realisation that 48" is just too big to be a WFH monitor on a desk thats about 80cm deep, so lets say 1m from where Im sitting. Cashback in on until June - hopefully means WBE panels are into the market by then and perhaps a small price drop (£1000 after cashback would be my biting point).

ps3ud0 :cool:

Associate
I still like Phils guide, its to the point and simple:

And yes its worth editing the hdmi 1 to PC and while you are there edit the others if they need it that is.

Dynamic tone mapping setting, maybe try both and go with what you like since Phil the AVforum tv calibrator along with others suggest to switch it off but others prefer it on, I have mine now switched on since it reduces black crush isue for me.

As with any OLED it does need that good 100 if not 300 hours run in, to make everything look and perform better.

Said it already but it's now in and I'm getting to the root of setting up and this has been a big help. So glad I held out for the 42" as 48" would have probably killed me. The overall quality is just unreal, I've got it sat next the GN950 right now and it's just....unreal. Very pleased so far with my purchase, slowly working through getting the settings sorted(only using it for PC so not too much to do - 3080ti too).

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Glad you are liking it, I don't think there is much to say its the best 42/43" sized screen on the market really imo.

Just added my apps and hdmi sources to quick access via long pressing button 0, even with TV switched off you don't have to press the red on button to switch it on just long press 1-8 buttons and it jumps to whatever its short cutted.

Associate
When/If I ever have more than one source going in to it. That's a really cool trick to know! I've spent most of today just tweaking things to my liking, I've got it in a good space for what it will get used for most. A lot of digging in menus to find things mainly. Then staring in disbelief at how damn pretty it is.

Associate
Said it already but it's now in and I'm getting to the root of setting up and this has been a big help. So glad I held out for the 42" as 48" would have probably killed me. The overall quality is just unreal, I've got it sat next the GN950 right now and it's just....unreal. Very pleased so far with my purchase, slowly working through getting the settings sorted(only using it for PC so not too much to do - 3080ti too).

How is your white uniformity? Dealing with tinging (cooler blue or warmer pink) on the sides?

Associate

As someone that's loved Oled for so long it's so good that this technology is really taking off.

I remember years ago only entertaining Android phones as I only wanted oled and Apple were using LCD lol

It won't be long before you can pick upa relatively cheap oled monitor. I still remember the Asus Pro Art being one of the first readily available in the UK and how obscene that price was

Associate
How is your white uniformity? Dealing with tinging (cooler blue or warmer pink) on the sides?

Not that I've noticed. I seldom have solid whites on my main monitors though as I force dark modes for most of my work suites etc...from the time I have had brighter/white content up I've not noticed any major off colouring but that's mostly viewing it head on rather than any kind of off-axis viewing(unsure how prevalent the fringing can be).

Only had it two nights though so I may just be honeymooning it but I'll keep an eye on it. Weekend of watching movies and gaming ahead. Run it in a bit.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
30", WOLED and glossy hopefully. Anti-glare/matte is hideous and QD-OLED proved that seeing Vincent his review. I mean, that **** applies to my LCD monitor too.
Glossy has only one issue which not cumbersome: reflective screen. I just close my curtains and problem solved. JOLED, ain't gonna happen because 1) extremely limited and 2) nothing is know so far regarding the burn-ins and 3) extremely expensive.
I agree glossy would be preferable, but lets not blow things out of proportion. Your curtain trick solves the problem with the QD-OLED also. Close curtain and light, problem solved. So not much difference in the end no? :)

Back
Top Bottom