LG 42-inch OLED

Man of Honour
I was thinking of getting this for unreal engine/3d work. But I guess the text clarity may be a problem?
it has the potential to be an issue i think. It's a strange one, as sometimes it can look nice and sharp - 4K on 42" is nice. But certain situations/fonts/sizes show the fringing I talked about in the review. If you were to consider it, I'd probably try and see one in action if you could. Things like the TPC control (commonly referred to as ABL) could become an annoyance as well.

Perhaps a higher pixel density smaller monitor would be more suited to that kind of work anyway?

Associate
Good work and detailed as always. Couple of points for potential buyers.

To disable ASBL (industry term) / TPC (LG term), get a LG Service remote. They're cheap. Then go into the Service Menu and disable TPC and GSR. If there's value, I can record a quick video how to do it incase people are nervous about going into the Service Menu. I'd strong recommend doing it if you're going to use it as a PC even more so if you're going to be using dark mode often. Otherwise, it'll start to grate on you...There's no harm to the panel longevity by disabling TPC/ASBL.

Pixel shift is useless and one of those old relics from the Plasma days. Leaving it on won't extend your panel life any or reduce you chance of image retention. It won't hurt to leave it on but if you find it annoying, disable without worry. You can do this in the TV settings.

For the UFO test, something that's worth considering @Baddass is using it to count the number of lines before you can no longer make out the separation between the White Boxes.

We found UFO count 1, no stars and full screen was the best indicator of how much motion blur you will experience when gaming or motion in general. For example, my AW QDO at 144hz is borderline in making out the individual white box separation at 960lines. At 175hz, 960lines is easy but 1200lines is a no go on the AW. My x34p at 120hz sadly just about managed 240lines.

And that bares out in actual usage. There's an unbelievably large difference in motion clarity between the X34P at 120hz and AW QDO at 144hz. Using panel refresh across technologies to compare motion quality is not viable if the goal is to convey actual differences you will experience when using them.

There is no BFI @ 120hz this year. LG in their wisdom took away a great feature. It's the main reason I picked up a C1 instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: R3X
Soldato
I currently have a AW3821DW, I'm tempted to sell and get the LG C2 42" OLED... My main concern is wall mounting and input lag. Has anyone got any decent information on the latter and thoughts on the former?

Associate
Finally decided to bite the bullet and picked up this as a monitor from local RS. Just finished setting the cables up.
First impression is it is super reflective that I can see my self on the reflection.

Currently googling some setup guides and any recommendations will be great. Thanks.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Not too much you can do about the reflective OLED side of things, blinds shut, dark thick curtains, black nets, curtains shut. Lamp shades or use spot lights or aim the bulb away from the screen even.

Over time you will adjust to it and get use to it, its actually a good thing long term when you are in a dark room, your eyes will adjust to the overall dark room and almost gel to towards the TV with that glossy black look, you get those inky blacks that kind of morph into the surrounding room and atmosphere making it truly special.

Associate
Getting accustomed to the reflection now. I find that it is only a little more reflective my old screen in terms of reflection, probably because it is still new and without dust/dirt lol.

Only set pc mode on and delay lag to boost for both pc & ps5. Also educed the brightness as it was too bright for me. Happy so far but it is still early few hours.
No idea what panel it uses. Manufacture date is April 2022.

Associate
Getting accustomed to the reflection now. I find that it is only a little more reflective my old screen in terms of reflection, probably because it is still new and without dust/dirt lol.

Only set pc mode on and delay lag to boost for both pc & ps5. Also educed the brightness as it was too bright for me. Happy so far but it is still early few hours.
No idea what panel it uses. Manufacture date is April 2022.
same here
no idea what is the panel on mine, it seems LG is shipping early model with one panel and new models with the most recent one. Is there any way to determine it ?

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Not really any specific method found yet unless you got a fancy expensive spectrum meter thingy reader.

You can however check with the service remote (instart button then 0413 as key) and see under 12.OLED menu section if it reads module info 2: 00/00/1/03, then its WBC older panel. Its important to press instart button again to come out the menu. Check youtube for guides, pressing the wrong button can mess up your TV!

That 00/00/1/03 is the same number as another tested panel by hdtvtest who confirmed its WBC (older) panel with his 5K meter. That is the only way for now I believe to find out. Maybe a better way in the future.

Man of Honour
For the UFO test, something that's worth considering @Baddass is using it to count the number of lines before you can no longer make out the separation between the White Boxes.

We found UFO count 1, no stars and full screen was the best indicator of how much motion blur you will experience when gaming or motion in general. For example, my AW QDO at 144hz is borderline in making out the individual white box separation at 960lines. At 175hz, 960lines is easy but 1200lines is a no go on the AW. My x34p at 120hz sadly just about managed 240lines.

And that bares out in actual usage. There's an unbelievably large difference in motion clarity between the X34P at 120hz and AW QDO at 144hz. Using panel refresh across technologies to compare motion quality is not viable if the goal is to convey actual differences you will experience when using them.
@Robert896r1 can you just elaborate on which specific UFO test and settings you mean for this and i will take a look? :)

Associate
I just had a prompt to upgrade the firmware on my 42," C2. Anyone know what it has introduced or just bug fixes?

I'm using a Sonos beam gen 2 and HD Fury Arcana with the C2 and just in case anybody is wondering you can get DTS to the soundbar this way. Still can't believe LG dropped the DTS codec support. Such a PITA.

The above is my 'man room' set up. Got an older 65" E9 in the living room passing audio via Denon amp. No DTS worries with that set up.

Man of Honour
I just had a prompt to upgrade the firmware on my 42," C2. Anyone know what it has introduced or just bug fixes?

I'm using a Sonos beam gen 2 and HD Fury Arcana with the C2 and just in case anybody is wondering you can get DTS to the soundbar this way. Still can't believe LG dropped the DTS codec support. Such a PITA.

The above is my 'man room' set up. Got an older 65" E9 in the living room passing audio via Denon amp. No DTS worries with that set up.
had the same but not obvious what was changed - FWIW i did check in case they'd fixed/enabled BFI at 120Hz and sadly not :(

Man of Honour
Already have the CX48 but the FOMO is getting to me!

Must resist!!

What does GSR stand for btw - never knew you could turn off ABSL!
I'd say that's only worthwhile if you're talking about a >55" model where the new C2 will include Brightness Booster. For the smaller models there's not enough of an upgrade imo to warrant changing a CX, unless you found the 48" too big I suppose and wanted a 42"

Associate
@Robert896r1 can you just elaborate on which specific UFO test and settings you mean for this and i will take a look? :)

Sure. It's the main test when you go on the site. Set up the 42C2 you have like this: 1 ufo/ none/ 960 pixels per second

unknown.png

Use the green expand box on the right to make it full screen. What you want to do is adjust the "pixels per sec" until you can see the separation in the white boxes as the ufo goes past. There shouldn't be 'blending' of the boxes. Don't focus on anything else. If you're new to the this particular test, start off with the lowest setting. Then it'll be obvious what I mean by separation of the white boxes.

It's the most relevant test I've found when trying to express motion clarity between units. Case in point:
- X34p @ 120hz ~ 240lines
- AW3423dw @ 144hz ~ 960lines

And that pans out irl. In games, moving around, spinning around etc the AW is magnitudes more clear in motion than my x34p. If you were to simply take a look at the marketed figures of 120hz vs 144hz, every reasonable person would assume they're 'neck n neck.' In reality, they're a couple of generations apart.

The good news is the test is valid to run on any display tech and there is nothing clever that can be done to 'hide' from it either. I hope you get a chance to explore it.

Last edited:
Associate
My 42" C2 arrived today, great timing as my Birthday as well :D. Going from a samsung 32" g7 and straight away loving the screen, had a philips 40" 4k a while ago and missed the size and the oled and response time seem perfect, for me at least. Did have a flashing display when I enabled HDR in windows but swapped for another HDMI lead and now running perfectly

Back
Top Bottom