LG 42-inch OLED

Soldato
My 42" C2 arrived today, great timing as my Birthday as well :D. Going from a samsung 32" g7 and straight away loving the screen, had a philips 40" 4k a while ago and missed the size and the oled and response time seem perfect, for me at least. Did have a flashing display when I enabled HDR in windows but swapped for another HDMI lead and now running perfectly
I'm going from a 40 inch Philips 4k to this screen on Wednesday. Can't wait!!

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Can someone please recommend a decent hdmi 2.1 lead that I can pair with this screen and my 3090 gpu

big fan of Ibrah brand myself and have their orange/black hdmi 2.1 cable myself.

However its probably reached a point most branded and unbranded and uncertified and certified 2.1 hdmi cables can hit the specs since we have had hdmi 2.1 for a few years now.

If you google kenable hdmi cables, their shop has some certified hdmi 2.1 cables going for 3-4 quid, even can be found on rainforest place but they charge few quid more. Id reckon they would do the job even.

Soldato
big fan of Ibrah brand myself and have their orange/black hdmi 2.1 cable myself.

However its probably reached a point most branded and unbranded and uncertified and certified 2.1 hdmi cables can hit the specs since we have had hdmi 2.1 for a few years now.

If you google kenable hdmi cables, their shop has some certified hdmi 2.1 cables going for 3-4 quid, even can be found on rainforest place but they charge few quid more. Id reckon they would do the job even.
Funny how you should mention these. I have ordered 2 2m HDMI cables. One for the ps5 and one for the 3090. Can't wait to get the setup done. I've basically dreamed of a setup like this for 10 years or more and now I have it. PC gaming at 4k 120htz and an accompanying console to cover console exclusives practically doing the same. I even have an old G29 that I'll use for GT7. That's without mentioning my rift s.

These are good times for a gamer like myself and it's only taken until the age of 40 to achieve it. Those early days of playing Wolfenstein 3D on my IBM system have never wained.

Reactions: R3X
Soldato
Mine has just been delivered and is waiting for me for when I get back from work with a free soundbar.

Please please let it be a decent grey uniformity screen with zero dead pixels.....

My 55 C8 had it's screen replaced as it had a nasty grey shadow in the same spot on the screen. The replacement was absolutely perfect only to have a scratch put in it by my son two weeks after it being replaced :(

Associate
Realistically do people reenable TPC and GSR before they update their OLED? (Software update)
Second this - as I for the first time Finaly dared to disable that crap on my CX55. And I couldent be happier. No more dimming in games and movies. So much better :D
Oh I guess one doesent have to reenable that crap, dont thing anyone does, but would be good to know!

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I may be a bit thick but what are these?

I believe its to turn off ASBL (Auto Static Brightness Limiting), but I believe you need to switch off both the TPC and GSR feature in the LG service menu via lg service remote.

The ASBL is to prevent burn in issues or other tv degradation issues, so usually it should not be disabled, its there to protect damage to your TV.

Some switch it off since it becomes annoying during gaming and other usage.

Associate
Absolutely Well worth disabling. I just was to scared but finaly grown some and did it. All ppl who have done it praice it and I am to. No need for that **** degrading your PQ!

Listen to him: POST 1,062
"Good work and detailed as always. Couple of points for potential buyers.

To disable ABSL (industry term) / TPC (LG term), get a LG Service remote. They're cheap. Then go into the Service Menu and disable TPC and GSR. If there's value, I can record a quick video how to do it incase people are nervous about going into the Service Menu. I'd strong recommend doing it if you're going to use it as a PC even more so if you're going to be using dark mode often. Otherwise, it'll start to grate on you...There's no harm to the panel longevity by disabling TPC/ABSL."

Associate
You do it at your own risk, it's enabled and hidden in the service menu for a reason. The people who have turned it off haven't had the CX for long enough to see if it does cause long term damage!.

Man of Honour
You do it at your own risk, it's enabled and hidden in the service menu for a reason. The people who have turned it off haven't had the CX for long enough to see if it does cause long term damage!.
It really depends on your usage type and your reason for wanting to turn it off in the first place.

TPC is there to auto dim the screen when it detects there have been limited changes to the APL (Average Picture Level), i.e where there's been static content for a while. On the LG OLED TV's this is quite aggressive. For PC desktop use this can happen quite a lot, I'm currently using the 42C2 and after a couple of minutes it will dim the screen a fair bit. You need to remember though that it doesn't change the fact the image is still static with limited changes to the APL. All it's doing really is reducing the brightness of the OLED pixels in an effort to try and reduce the chance of burn in. The brighter the pixels are operating, the more likely burn in could occur. So the logic being is it will reduce the brightness a bit to try and help.

Really this TPC feature is there with TV usage in mind, after all this is a TV primarily. So it's there for occasions like if you were leaving the TV paused, or away from the screen or something. In that kind of usage, it might as well do that for you to try and help a bit, it's no real concern. The only issue with that for TV usage is that sometimes a scene that is meant to be fairly static, especially common on darker scenes, could trigger this TPC unnecessarily even though it's still a changing and dynamic scene. For tactual dynamic content with any moving image like a TV show, movie, game etc it is really unnecessary to do that and it's not really meant to do it either. It's kicking in when it probably really shouldn't. So for TV usage, that's when some people want to turn it off via the service menu to avoid that distraction.

That's a very good reason to do so, and the only "risk" in that is if you are in the habit of leaving the screen paused or static, it will no longer activate TPC and try and help you a bit. For the actual dynamic content it will have absolutely no risk, as it's just stopping something from activating that shouldn't be activating anyway. If you do disable it you might want to be a little extra careful to not leave it paused or on static screens, but as i said earlier it's still a static image either way - it's just a slightly darker static image with TPC enabled and therefore a bit more risky.

Although having said that you do have to go some to actually cause any real burn in issues on an OLED TV :)

For PC usage it's a little different and probably more annoying and likely to be experienced. TPC will activate when there's limited APL changes, dropping you from your normal brightness down to a lower level, again to try and help reduce the risk of burn in. But you could achieve the same thing in effect if you just operated the screen at a lower OLED light level (brightness) to start with. TPC will still kick in and dim you even further, but it's not really needed then.

For example (made up approx numbers) if you ran the screen at 100% OLED light level that was operating at 250 nits, when the screen detects static content and an unchanging APL, it might dim you to the equivalent of say 75% OLED light and 180 nits. You could have course instead just run the screen at 75% OLED light level all the time and disable TPC and that would be the equivalent of you always operating in the "safer" mode, if you see what i mean? :)

If you want to consider turning TPC off, the trick would be to find an OLED light level that is comfortable and appropriate for your static desktop use, and that has a lower chance of burn in. I expect for most people a setting around 50% OLED light giving you a 120 nits approx luminance would be appropriate and comfortable, but you would probably find that's considered a low OLED light level and therefore a safer, less likely to cause burn in, brightness level. Remember that TPC is a safety measure, it has no real link to the actual brightness setting, it just dims the screen when it thinks the content is static for things. If you're operating the screen at a lower OLED light level like that, it's of minimal risk to disable TPC. With TPC enabled i expect what most people end up doing for PC use is setting the screen brighter than they would normally want it, putting up with that for a few minutes, then letting TPC lower you to your comfortable level. That is of course pointless and "worse" from an image retention point of view than just leaving it at the lower level all the time :)

I don't see there being any real risk in turning TPC off for PC use as long as you're not going to be running at a really bright OLED light level all the time and then leaving the screen really static. There is far more benefit from a burn-in mitigation point of view in being careful with your content, moving things around, hiding task bars, setting screensavers etc than there is in letting a feature like TPC dim you a bit sometimes when it feels like it! And if you're using the screen primarily for its intended usage like gaming, movies, HDR and only a bit for office /static work, it's a really small concern anyway. If you're mainly using it for static/office work, you've probably brought the wrong screen/panel tech to start with!

Associate
@Baddass!
What an Awesome post - loved it :)

I myself only use my CX55 for couch gaming and movies, as I use my PG279Q for work/browsing etc!
That said I only use around 30 OLED light level as I found that perfect for me, and the same for SDR movies, so I go really low, and I allways hated that IMHO extreme dimming the algorithm does. So I couldent be happier disabling that crap!

Cant stess again how great your post is buddy. Should be a sticky for new users so they know the ins and out's!

Man of Honour
@Baddass!
What an Awesome post - loved it :)

I myself only use my CX55 for couch gaming and movies, as I use my PG279Q for work/browsing etc!
That said I only use around 30 OLED light level as I found that perfect for me, and the same for SDR movies, so I go really low, and I allways hated that IMHO extreme dimming the algorithm does. So I couldent be happier disabling that crap!

Cant stess again how great your post is buddy. Should be a sticky for new users so they know the ins and out's!
Cheers Mike I’m glad it helped. I’m going to write a guide or make a short video at TFTCentral on this topic, what you need, what to do etc I think as I’m sure it will help others. I’ll include the positioning stuff above too :)

Associate
.... If you're mainly using it for static/office work, you've probably brought the wrong screen/panel tech to start with!
This is the part that keeps me consistently flipflopping over whether I should or shouldnt. I want a device that is basically doing double duty... 8 hrs of work during the day and then 6 hrs or so of play at night. I worry about OLED in this case. I wish there was a pc centric review of Samsungs QN90B 42" mini LED, which by all reports is an extremely close competitor (superior in some ways, inferior in others). Alas there is not.... hint hint...

Associate
14hr days on woled tech isn’t something I’d be up for. Certainly not something I’d recommend to others.

LCD’s have their use cases still and yours is likely a better fit there.

Back
Top Bottom