LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Soldato
I've had auto updates selected since Dirk Diggler suggested it earlier today but I'm still not seeing it.

You don't have to have some daft LG login configured do you?

No, got the update an hour or so after I put the TV up and wired it in, was messing with the ARC settings when it popped up and said.

Ver 3.10.44 is what is installed now.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
The JL policy covers burn-in for up to 5 years? Really?

Yes if you check any oled tv on their site where it says 5 year protect plus click the link underneath that says insurance leaflet policy, first thing it says that is covered in green is burn in issues in brackets.

Issue is JL are the last company in the UK at this point to stock the LG 48CX, for some reason they seem to want to stock 300+ units of the Sony 48inch oled instead just not the TV everyone wants, it's been hinted it may turn up end of September or early October but id imagine it goes out of stock soon as it arrives.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
One is that on a static image the screen will go dim after a few minutes and only brighten when fairly significant changes occur on the screen (e.g. moving the mouse won't do it but moving the window around will), this can't be turned off as far as I can tell and depending on your own disposition can be annoying (personally I'm fine with it).

I believe it's the Automatic dimming feature you're discussing ?

Here is a guide to switch it off on LG oleds

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/how-to-turn-off-asbl-on-lg-oled-tv.2440714/

not recommended but I did read quite a few see it when watching normal films or tv so switched it off, while others said never noticed it or not enough to bother them.

Soldato
Eugh this sucks if true..

Very annoying since Nvidia co-advertised the CX.
Hopefully they'll clarify that the CX can do 4K 120hz with DSC

Ignore the troll, CX can do 4K 120Hz 4:4:4 10bit via HDMI 2.1, as this is a requirement of having HDMI 2.1. The CX can't do 4K 120Hz 12bit 4:4:4, due to not having the full 48Gbps, though this is a moot point, since the panel (and no other consumer released TV/Monitor) doesn't support 12bit yet, so this isn't even a point of discussion.

CX has better processing over the C9 (it has a newer panel version) and of course has a 48" model available, making it viable for desk usage. It's still the better buy for desk usage.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Does feel a bit confusing, Vincent does say even the xbox x with hdmi 2.1 will support 40Gbps but just like in his video above he does make the case it's better to have 12bit signal even if the TV panels are 10bit, while others say its pointless.

I don't think we have any 12 bit UHBD films or 12 bit games ?

Vincent also said were still unsure if Nvidias new cards with hdmi 2.1 can even do 10bit, 4.4.4. 120 hertz even till its tested.

Maybe LG can enable the full 48Gbps via firmware to one port or maybe not required even.

Give it another 1-2 years and am sure AMD/Nvidia and Samsung, LG and sony and rest of them will have it figured out but yeah feels almost a bad time to
get 2020 TVs, when next gen gpus and consoles are coming with hdmi 2.1 spec.

Associate
False alarm!

Will the 30 series cards be supporting 10bit 444 120fps ? Traditionally Nvidia consumer cards have only supported 8bit or 12bit output, and don’t do 10bit. The vast majority of hdr monitors/TVs on the market are 10bit.

[Qi Lin] The 30 series supports 10bit HDR. In fact, HDMI 2.1 can support up to 8K@60Hz with 12bit HDR, and that covers 10bit HDR displays.

Associate
@waspy88 @Dave2150 thanks for that info.

Have any of you confirmed Gsync works 100% with this panel? I haven't seen much chat in this thread regarding Gsync.

I'm considering a 3090 purchase and want to make sure I've got my ducks in a row!

Yes 100% works - I have tested it with my 2080ti, but obviously not at 120hz since 2080ti only supports 60hz via HDMI 2.0

Soldato
Give it another 1-2 years and am sure AMD/Nvidia and Samsung, LG and sony and rest of them will have it figured out but yeah feels almost a bad time to
get 2020 TVs, when next gen gpus and consoles are coming with hdmi 2.1 spec.

Bad time? I've had my CX48 since June, and have been thoroughly enjoying 4K60hz in games, and HDR movies/TV etc. There is currently no better 4K TV/monitor to buy on the market.

It's all but certain that Nvidia will support 10bit 4K120Hz 4:4:4, which is the holy grail in terms of high refresh rate 4K. It's confirmed the consoles support this, so 99.9% likely that Nvidia will. AMD undoubtably will, as their RDNA2 architecture is what's in the consoles.

In 1-2 years, of course there'll be an even better TV/monitor out, but for now, it doesn't get any better than the CX48, as long as you can wall mount or have a big enough desk.

EDIT.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, 4K120Hz 4:4:4 is an actual requirement of HDMI 2.1, so Nvidia has to support it in order to have HDMI 2.1 certification. There is no doubt here, as it's a standard.

I now remember your username, and checked your post history to confirm. You're the guy that:

1. Claimed the CX48 has an overheating issue, after reading reddit threads for 2, 3 year old LG OLEDS
2. Claimed burn in is guaranteed
3. Claimed banding is a major issue
4. Claimed ABL makes the panel unusable

Basically you've posted almost all negative entries for this TV for the last few months, and for most of your posts you backup your claims with no evidence. IMO this is trolling, it's almost like you want to convince yourself that it's not worth getting this TV. This is your decision of course, but I'm fed up of reading your unsubstantiated nonsense, so welcome to my ignore list.

Last edited:
Associate
False alarm!

Will the 30 series cards be supporting 10bit 444 120fps ? Traditionally Nvidia consumer cards have only supported 8bit or 12bit output, and don’t do 10bit. The vast majority of hdr monitors/TVs on the market are 10bit.

[Qi Lin] The 30 series supports 10bit HDR. In fact, HDMI 2.1 can support up to 8K@60Hz with 12bit HDR, and that covers 10bit HDR displays.

QI Lin is Product Manager for Nvidia - So it is confirmed that we will get 444 Chroma at 10bit!

Back
Top Bottom