LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Soldato
New to the thread, I've currently got a 65" CX as my main TV and I absolutely love it, would never go back to anything other than OLED. As for my PC monitor, I'm currently running a Alienware AW3821DW (3840x1600) UW monitor and I adore it, but, there are still games that just refuse to do UW, and in some cases, cheap out and crop a 16:9 image to suit the resolution and I'm bored of working around it.

As such, I'm thinking of getting the 42" OLED that's coming out this spring, those that have been using the larger OLED as a monitor, what are some drawbacks you've experiences? Is input lag a thing and if so, how much, what about burn in? Just looking for the negatives as a PC monitor. Going from 144hz to 120hz won't really bother me as I don't play games competitively anymore. I'm running on a 3090 Asus strix OC under water so I should have enough oomph to play even the most demanding games at respectable frames at 4k.

Pretty excited, but I want to make sure I'm making the right choice in the upgrade.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
No chance. 42” LG all the way.

Edit: I just watch the LTT video. Samsung stuff does look interesting, but my guess is they will cost silly money’s. I don’t game in a bright room so would not benefit that much anyway.

Let’s wait and see reviews (there maybe drawbacks vs WOLED) and price. But I still think I will end up with the LG 42”.

Samsung would be a great option but from what I gather these alternatives are all gigantic sizes like 55" or larger so instantly not interested!

Why is a 42" forgotten about, surely its perfect size for most small rooms, bedrooms etc lol.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Samsung would be a great option but from what I gather these alternatives are all gigantic sizes like 55" or larger so instantly not interested!

Why is a 42" forgotten about, surely its perfect size for most small rooms, bedrooms etc lol.
There will be an Alienware one using the QD OLED panel, but you know that will cost way more than the LG C2 42” OLED. I think that is wide screen also which like Agnes says is not always fully supported and if it has not by now it never will be. I feel when you have such a large screen at 42” no need for ultrawide anyways. You can always make a custom resolution for certain games and play them ultrawide on it, not that I would personally.

Overall I am happy with Samsungs new tech. Competition is good and hopefully LG price the 42” competitively.

Associate
Why 2 years? Just wait until end of the year and get a 4080 that will no doubt be better. You waited this long... :p
I might wait I still want the RTX3090/4090 if there will be one at end of this year :)

New to the thread, I've currently got a 65" CX as my main TV and I absolutely love it, would never go back to anything other than OLED.

As such, I'm thinking of getting the 42" OLED that's coming out this spring, those that have been using the larger OLED as a monitor, what are some drawbacks you've experiences? Is input lag a thing and if so, how much, what about burn in? Just looking for the negatives as a PC monitor. Going from 144hz to 120hz won't really bother me as I don't play games competitively anymore. I'm running on a 3090 Asus strix OC under water so I should have enough oomph to play even the most demanding games at respectable frames at 4k.

Pretty excited, but I want to make sure I'm making the right choice in the upgrade.

Welcome to the thread:)
I had my OLED 55CX for over a year use it every day love it won't go back, I use it as monitor/TV for 8/9 hours a day for gaming/streaming TV shows/movies no problem you will be fine like your 65CX the new LG OLEDs have got improved over the years for uses as a monitor and new 42inch might be better for some this year on small setups. Your RTX3090 would be King compare with mine old card running 4K

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato

Well its tricky to always say, but you are using an excellent existing monitor that is 37.5 inches which is still pretty big, the 42" might not sound too big over it but even 1 or 2 inches can make or break it imo, its one of those things you would not know how it is until its literally on your desk and in front of you.

You could once the 42" is out, create a card board mock of the screen size and kind of place it over or behind the existing 37.5" screen you have (maybe make a notch in-between the cardboard) and then you may get a rough feel of its size.

One of the biggest X factors imo with this thread or 48" CX/C1 OLED owners has been the size vs viewing distance, some prefer to sit up close others can't stand it and need to be 1.5m if not 2m away to be comfortable while viewing it, we are all different. No denying OLED is just superior, once you have it its hard to go back to anything else.

Its a real shame LG did not release the 31" OLED, I think they have been caught a bit with their pants down here since Samsung and Dell got their
34" QD-OELDs announced, the exception is you require to donate a limb to purchase it.

In an ideal world and set up, the 31" LG OLED and 42" LG OLED could have covered all sizes and taste almost, best guess is next year for the 31" LG OLED release.

R3X

R3X

Soldato

The question everyone has been saying since the 48" release haha

I blame Samsung and well all the TV manufacturers, naturally they want to make money so put all the best tech (better screens, hdmi 2.1, wide viewing angles) into the 55" and above, the 40 and 43" TV manufacturers literally just put left over cut down tech in them.

TV manufacturers missed a cash cow and still are imo

R3X

R3X

Soldato
What are the best VESA stands for TVs for 42" to use on desk? I've been searching for one in case 42C2 will come with the leg stands.

Not an expert here in vesa mount stands but know a fair bit with wall mounts, but I did read the the heavy glass based 3rd party Vesa stands that you find over on rainforest some are prone to cracking or smashing so maybe not the best quality always. Many suggested better to get the thicker and heavier plastic or wood constructed Vesa stands instead.

I think its still better to wait for the 42" C2 release to get the correct Vesa mount but I believe the CX/C1 48" has 300 x 200 vesa mount holes.

Edit just have quick glance over at rainforest, nearly every Vesa stand is tempered glass but I do see this one called :
Wooden Base TV Stand - Universal Tabletop TV Stand for Most 32-55 inch Flat and Curved TVs with 8 Level Height Adjustable TV Base Stand and Cable Management - Max VESA 400x400mm Holds up to 45KG

Wooden base sounds more solid at least, and supports 300 x 200 vesa mounts but again better to make sure the 42" C2 vesa is 300x200, also guess with rainforest if the Vesa stand is not ideal you can return it for a refund at least.

Associate
Not an expert here in vesa mount stands but know a fair bit with wall mounts, but I did read the the heavy glass based 3rd party Vesa stands that you find over on rainforest some are prone to cracking or smashing so maybe not the best quality always. Many suggested better to get the thicker and heavier plastic or wood constructed Vesa stands instead.

I think its still better to wait for the 42" C2 release to get the correct Vesa mount but I believe the CX/C1 48" has 300 x 200 vesa mount holes.

Edit just have quick glance over at rainforest, nearly every Vesa stand is tempered glass but I do see this one called :
Wooden Base TV Stand - Universal Tabletop TV Stand for Most 32-55 inch Flat and Curved TVs with 8 Level Height Adjustable TV Base Stand and Cable Management - Max VESA 400x400mm Holds up to 45KG

Wooden base sounds more solid at least, and supports 300 x 200 vesa mounts but again better to make sure the 42" C2 vesa is 300x200, also guess with rainforest if the Vesa stand is not ideal you can return it for a refund at least.
Good thinking. Will wait for it first. But I don't plan on buying the VESA stand just this week or so :p Will wait for the 42C2 to be released.

Soldato

Before I wall mounted mine I used a cheap one from b&m, it was ok and did the job but it had a glass base and was a bit of a dust magnet

Associate

I copied your text and google it and got the tv stand from Rentliv and a few other names pop up
It says near the same Eco-friendly material with premium powder coated. So what wood is used Sustainable wood or Eco Friendly softwood it don't say, and premium powder coated is use on metal not wood that I have seen I am not expert, unless this is a Chinese product as they like to use fancy names to sale there goods @ low prices. imo so I wonder if can hold a 45kg on three screws.

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I copied your text and google it and got the tv stand from Rentliv and a few other names pop up
It says near the same Eco-friendly material with premium powder coated. So what wood is used Sustainable wood or Eco Friendly softwood it don't say, and premium powder coated is use on metal not wood that I have seen I am not expert, unless this is a Chinese product as they like to use fancy names to sale there goods @ low prices. imo so I wonder if can hold a 45kg on three screws.

Yeah its that model I believe:
  • Manufacturer ‏ : ‎ Rentliv
  • ASIN ‏ : ‎ B07YDF3Z46
  • Item model number ‏ : ‎ RLTVS4

Our Rentliv Wooden Base VS Others Glass Base

The creative wooden base design is to increase safety and stability of your TV. Do not worry about the situations like breakage or self-explosion caused from other glass base, which is danger to your little children and pets. (Professionally, tempered glass base cannot avoid the potential risk of self-explosion.). Our heavy-duty steel construction and safer wooden base offer you the best choice of TV stand.

Its the £20.99 one, yeah its from china, reviews seem overall good, but sure some odd faulty bent units. I don't really like the idea of tempered glass personally but never owned one it could very well do the job tbh. Not sure how the other guys managed to smash or break there tempered glass stands, but
maybe it is just that delicate when you go to move it but they said they went back to solid material or non glass and never looked back.

Associate
Yeah its that model I believe:
  • Manufacturer ‏ : ‎ Rentliv
  • ASIN ‏ : ‎ B07YDF3Z46
  • Item model number ‏ : ‎ RLTVS4
Our Rentliv Wooden Base VS Others Glass Base
The creative wooden base design is to increase safety and stability of your TV. Do not worry about the situations like breakage or self-explosion caused from other glass base, which is danger to your little children and pets. (Professionally, tempered glass base cannot avoid the potential risk of self-explosion.). Our heavy-duty steel construction and safer wooden base offer you the best choice of TV stand.

Its the £20.99 one, yeah its from china, reviews seem overall good, but sure some odd faulty bent units. I don't really like the idea of tempered glass personally but never owned one it could very well do the job tbh. Not sure how the other guys managed to smash or break there tempered glass stands, but maybe it is just that delicate when you go to move it but they said they went back to solid material or non glass and never looked back.

That's the one I see and same price too,:) not long ago Rentliv was marketing tempered glass TV stands @45kg they soon they change there product quick.

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Still confusing, many media reports the new 42" C2s will not have heatsinks or Evo or EX panels.... but just read fomos live stream and they said Sony's 42" oled and 48" oled will have an heatsink.

Got a feeling people are getting confused due to many models having heatsink and others not.

Back
Top Bottom