LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Soldato
Has anyone used this with a 5000 series AMD card? I'm using mine with a 5700XT and trying to get the settings right.

I've got it set to 2560*1440 as I want 120Hz and I've found that I need to enable Freesync Premium to get the 120hz. The only issue I really have is that the colour/gamma just looks a little bit washed out. Is this inevitable as I can only get 8 bit colour?

Associate
Has anyone used this with a 5000 series AMD card? I'm using mine with a 5700XT and trying to get the settings right.

I've got it set to 2560*1440 as I want 120Hz and I've found that I need to enable Freesync Premium to get the 120hz. The only issue I really have is that the colour/gamma just looks a little bit washed out. Is this inevitable as I can only get 8 bit colour?
I don't have any personal experience, but had a quick google search, then asked an experienced friend and reached the same conclusion.
You're running into the same issue as with nVidia's previous generation and are limited to HDMI 2.0 support. That hard caps at UHD120 8bit.
It can work in some games but looks just horrible in desktop use IMO. Try out some games, see if it's playable like that,
then switch back and forth between modes before and after gaming. Yeah, I know :/ Start saving for new hardware :)

Soldato
I don't have any personal experience, but had a quick google search, then asked an experienced friend and reached the same conclusion.
You're running into the same issue as with nVidia's previous generation and are limited to HDMI 2.0 support. That hard caps at UHD120 8bit.
It can work in some games but looks just horrible in desktop use IMO. Try out some games, see if it's playable like that,
then switch back and forth between modes before and after gaming. Yeah, I know :/ Start saving for new hardware :)
That sounds about right, desktop looks awful but games are OK, they just look a little bit washed out colour wise.

This is a stop gap card until new gen releases so I can live with it in the meantime for sure.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Associate
That sounds about right, desktop looks awful but games are OK, they just look a little bit washed out colour wise.

This is a stop gap card until new gen releases so I can live with it in the meantime for sure.

Thanks for the reply. :)
Stick to 60Hz for now then, I've done the same with a 2070S waiting for my 3080 and it was still great.
Let's hope the new releases won't be as bad as the last ones

Soldato

You'd have to double check but I think 1440@120Hz falls into the "4:2:0" bandwidth so you lose some definition there.

Do check first though that your setup is actually configured appropriately. If the HDMI connection is set for HDR and your content is not HDR capable, or vice versa, it can look awful.

For me, SDR games in HDR connection looks too contrasty, blacks look like permanent marker and colours are weak. Conversely if I watch SDR TV content in my browser they look grey-tinted. Basically, sometimes the desktop looks great then it's awful once I get into a game. Sometimes after closing a game that worked great, the desktop looks awful and vivid!

It takes a bit of fiddling I find, to end up with a config where everything works fine including switching between desktop and game.

Soldato
You'd have to double check but I think 1440@120Hz falls into the "4:2:0" bandwidth so you lose some definition there.

Do check first though that your setup is actually configured appropriately. If the HDMI connection is set for HDR and your content is not HDR capable, or vice versa, it can look awful.

For me, SDR games in HDR connection looks too contrasty, blacks look like permanent marker and colours are weak. Conversely if I watch SDR TV content in my browser they look grey-tinted. Basically, sometimes the desktop looks great then it's awful once I get into a game. Sometimes after closing a game that worked great, the desktop looks awful and vivid!

It takes a bit of fiddling I find, to end up with a config where everything works fine including switching between desktop and game.
I've got it set to 8bpc YCbCr 4:2:0 pixel format. That's with 2560*1440 @ 120Hz.

I agree with the SDR gaming on HDR settings looking poor so I only enable HDR for that specific content.

Out of interest, what colour temperature have you went with?

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got it set to 8bpc YCbCr 4:2:0 pixel format. That's with 2560*1440 @ 120Hz.

I agree with the SDR gaming on HDR settings looking poor so I only enable HDR for that specific content.

Out of interest, what colour temperature have you went with?
I have to say I find the different picture modes/individual vs overall settings quite confusing. I just popped the TV on and broadcast TV is set to ISF Bright Room which doesn't have colour temperature. In standard mode it's at C20, I suspect I haven't touched it. And then in Game mode and in apps I will presumably have something different. I don't think I've touched colour temperature anywhere though :)

Associate
Associate
So I have been running this monitor for a year or so. It’s awesome. I am now trying to run it from my new gpu card (3080ti), which can push it to 120hz. Currently running it at 60hz.

My problem is that when I go to select the resolution with 120hz, the only option I have in nvidia control panel for 120hz is from the PC resolutions list at 3840x2160 (it’s not available at 120hz at 3840x2160 from the HD list).

When I select this option from PC list, the image appears noticeably blurrier than the 60hz, and nowhere near as sharp and crisp.

What might the problem be? Much appreciated! :)

Soldato
So I have been running this monitor for a year or so. It’s awesome. I am now trying to run it from my new gpu card (3080ti), which can push it to 120hz. Currently running it at 60hz.

My problem is that when I go to select the resolution with 120hz, the only option I have in nvidia control panel for 120hz is from the PC resolutions list at 3840x2160 (it’s not available at 120hz at 3840x2160 from the HD list).

When I select this option from PC list, the image appears noticeably blurrier than the 60hz, and nowhere near as sharp and crisp.

What might the problem be? Much appreciated! :)
What cable are you using?

Associate
Aha… I’m very glad you asked me that. I just learned (or maybe re-learned) there are different ‘rates’ of cable. Turns out my current hdmi cable outputs 4K only up to 60hz. I’ll need a better cable which does 4K at 120hz. Thank you!

Associate
So since I moved to my new pc and new gpu, when the monitor activates I now get a message on the TV of "the instant game response is launched" message popping up. it's quite annoying, I can't seem to work out why it's displaying (didn't happen with my old pc) and how to turn it off. Can't see much online either. Any ideas anyone? Cheers :)

Back
Top Bottom